Make a donation

Author Topic: Dithering into a turning...  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Dithering into a turning...
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

Why, when most modern cars handle pretty well, am I always following people who indicate about a quater of a mile before a turning, then brake unnecessarily, then take the turning at a ridiculously wide berth, (often going onto the side of the road of oncoming traffic), and then make the turning as if they're on Ford Model T rims made of china with charges strapped to them?

Last bloke on the way home tonight nearly caused 2 accidents doing this, and he was in one of the best handling bread and butter cars ever designed, a Mark 2 Focus! These people should be sent on a driving course with the middle lane brigade. Blo*dy liability.

:fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Dithering into a turning...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:28:41 pm »
It's usually the same group of people that drive at 40mph in a 50/60mph zone and then continue to do 40mph in a 30mph zone  :fighting:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:34:25 pm »
It's usually the same group of people that drive at 40mph in a 50/60mph zone and then continue to do 40mph in a 30mph zone  :fighting:

Yep, that'll be them  :fighting: :fighting:

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Perhaps they was part of the older generation who's eye's are not as great as yours. Perhaps they also dont have the great reaction ability that you also have.

Drive to the road and conditions. If there's others about dont sit on their bumper you never know what they might do.

Fish

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
Perhaps they was part of the older generation who's eye's are not as great as yours. Perhaps they also dont have the great reaction ability that you also have.

This isn't Red Robin Getting the blame again is it? :wink:  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:48:05 am by dodds-gttdi »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

Drive to the road and conditions. If there's others about dont sit on their bumper you never know what they might do.

Fish

You clearly haven't read this properly, or you'd understand the danger these people put the rest of us in. If their reactions are not up to safe, considerate driving, then they shouldn't be on the road.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:28:11 pm »
It is also the same people who do 20mph around a series of bends which can easily be taken at 40mph and then speed up to 80mph on the straights and then back to 20mph for the next series of bends!!! :fighting:

Also the same group who wait until there is a 1 mile gap in traffic before indicating to pull out to the left .......and then turn right!!! :fighting:

I also want to know if they are psychic as they ALWAYS turn in the direction I'm going!!!  :fighting:

:grin:
Golf R gone.

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:48 am »
I read it as you moaning about people not going around corners quick enough for you! My point was if you've been following someone for a bit you tend to get how they are driving. Simple put sit back and wait.

Fish

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:27 am »
I read it as you moaning about people not going around corners quick enough for you! My point was if you've been following someone for a bit you tend to get how they are driving. Simple put sit back and wait.

Fish

Well you read it wrong. He clearly said he was following someone that nearly caused 2 accidents by taking corners incorrectly, drifting out onto oncoming traffic to other lane.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »

Fish

Well you read it wrong. He clearly said he was following someone that nearly caused 2 accidents by taking corners incorrectly, drifting out onto oncoming traffic to other lane.

Thank you Deako, exactly right.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »
Fish may have read it wrong (it can easily happen on a forum) but he is right when he says it's your responsibility as a good driver not to follow too closely, to read other driver's body language and to anticipate.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »
It's not just older people that drive like this

We have a 21 year old at work who's driving is really crap

I think everyone should be assessed every 5 years after passing there test to make sure they can drive a car at a reasonable pace and react to situations in good time.

The people that really annoy me on the road are the ones that drive about 30-40mph but when someone tries to overtake them they floor it.

Ideally everyone should drive at the speed limit, traffic would flow better, less people will get fed up and try to overtake at stupid places. even worse when you get stuck behind a row of cars sitting at 40 and no one wants to overtake

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:34 am »
No I read it as the person in front was trying to do a Scandinavian flick turn. My responce is that, let them do it, but sit back and wait for a crash! At some point it will happen. Maybe not today, tomorrow or next week, but one day they will get caught out.

Red got my point, which you and Deako failed at!

End of point.

Fish

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

Ideally everyone should drive at the speed limit, traffic would flow better, less people will get fed up and try to overtake at stupid places. even worse when you get stuck behind a row of cars sitting at 40 and no one wants to overtake

....Driving as close to the speed limit as the prevailing conditions allow is what I was taught on the performance car driving course I did (Police instructor).

In all driving conditions you have to accept that there will be other drivers who dither or who drive with insufficient focus or awareness etc etc. It's an important part of driving to be aware of them and react accordingly but always with patience. Having performance allows you to get away from them as soon as a safe opportunity presents itself.

I'm 65yo but am glad to say I'm not at the stage of needing to retire from driving yet.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:56:11 am »
I have had to take evasive action too many times from people coming the other way and overtaking at silly places, I've even had a police car almost take me off my bike and they were overtaking in a 40 zone without sirens or blue flashers! (they got a shock when I followed them to the police station and demanded to speak to a senior officer)

There will always be bad drivers out there even passing our driving test does not make someone a good driver.

That's why I think we should all be assessed at set points to a higher standard than the driving test and if your not up to the standards then either stop driving or take further training.

I also think that the police should be paying attention to these bad drivers as well as the boy racer types IMHO they are both as bad as each other