Make a donation

Author Topic: On the lookout for a MK5 GTI around 7k  (Read 3347 times)

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
On the lookout for a MK5 GTI around 7k
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »
After having a little girl ive decided my current car - a Corsa VXR is not big enough and fancy a more grown up hot hatch - Golf GTI  :smiley:
We ve got a MK4 GTTDI 150 that we ve had for a few years and is far better size wise than the corsa so im quite keen on the Mk5!
The DSG box is one of the features that has drawn me to it also as ive never had a auto of any kind but have driven a Nissan GTR on track,Another car ive considered in the Leon FR with either the petrol or diesel engine as theyre essentially a pretty similar car to the golf sharing most parts,and obviously you can get a newer lower mileage seat for the same money.
Golf wise ive found a few at dealers and theyre 06 plates with DSG with about 60k,full history etc for 7k,does this sound about right and anything bar the norm to look out for on the MK5 Golf?
All help and advice welcome  :happy2:

Offline TIGER-UPPERCUT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: On the lookout for a MK5 GTI around 7k
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:05:41 pm »
"06 plates with DSG with about 60k,full history etc for 7k"

Sounds cheap that for dealer price.

Have you got any links?
2006 GTI - KWv1 - Poly Fronts - K&N Panel Filter - RTech Stage 1

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »

The DSG box is one of the features that has drawn me to it also as ive never had a auto of any kind but have driven a Nissan GTR on track

....Firstly, a Very Warm Welcome to the forum  :drinking:

You'll know from driving the GTR that a flappy paddle system is more than just an "auto". You just 'Think Manual' and use your fingers rather than your arm and foot. Auto D-mode is purrfect when kept for just traffic queue crawls and urban cruising. DSG = Best of both worlds, plus some!  :notworthy:

Ignore anyone who tries to imply that you are gay if you prefer DSG to conventional manual  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:40:00 pm »
I'm another one for dsg there is no advantage to owning a manual unless u want to change gear slower.  Dsg is nothing like an auto box I actually hate auto boxes they are so sluggish and u feel like u have no control even in tip tronic modes

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »
Another fan of DSG.  It's amazing I promise you won't look back.

@ redrobin  :signLOL:
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:44:32 pm »
^^^^
Ooops! I wasn't intending that this thread becomes a DSG vs Manual match. But I personally can't advise about the Mk5 GTI marketplace.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »
Cheers for the welcome,i wouldn t rule out manual altogether if one came up well spec d etc but definately fancy giving the DSG a go  :smiley:
After reading through the forum i ve seen some of the girly DSG comments but am not to bothered as im getting the Golf as a family mobile without stepping away from the hothatch world.
As if i wanted it rawer etc id be looking at Megane R26s or Astra VXRs but just want a good all rounder and think that the DSG box should offer a relaxed experience and when needed you ve still got the paddles - so the best of both worlds  :happy2:
And coupled with it being faster and better on fuel its definately top of my spec list.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 04:41:37 pm »
^^^^
I / We look forward to you getting a Mk5 GTI/Ed30 and posting pics of her  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:51:37 pm »
Welcome along and happy car hunting! Sounds a reasonable price for age/mileage etc.  :happy2:

(personally, much prefer my manual ED30:booty:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »
Welcome  :happy2:

Make sure the timing belt has been done on any cars that you look at.

Vw now state that the belt must be done every 4 years or at x miles

When I was looking at cars in dealers they were all due a timing belt and the salesmans attitude and lies about this put me off paying the extra few £k from a garage compared to private.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:06 pm »
RR wasn't having a pop at manual at all.  Some of my ultimate cars are manuals but I'm just singing the praises of an amazing gearbox thats all.  Not trying to start any trouble on here!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »
Cheers for the welcome,ive just taken a large deposit on my car so will be hunting over the weekend  :wink:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »
If you choose DSG make sure that it has had the DSG oil & filter changed at 40k, not later. If its later you will struggle to get any goodwill from VW.
Love my ED30 DSG when i drive it, but do still enjoy the girlfriends manual leon FR.

I would say the Leon is slightly bigger with internal space
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »
If you choose DSG make sure that it has had the DSG oil & filter changed at 40k, not later. If its later you will struggle to get any goodwill from VW.
Love my ED30 DSG when i drive it, but do still enjoy the girlfriends manual leon FR.

I would say the Leon is slightly bigger with internal space

Cheers for the info on the size differences,
Ive taken a deposit on my car now and its going over the weekend so definately on the lookout now - im ringing one tomorrow morning as it ticks all boxes so ill let you know what happens  :happy2:

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:29 am »
Ive put a deposit on the one i was edging towards this morning as it was the exact spec i was after pretty much
5 door in red with DSG,full history,62k,4 owners
18 inch wheels,sun roof,xenons,parking sensors
MOT and taxed for £7k with 3 months warranty
This is pending actually viewing the car as its quite a distance away, ive ran through every detail of the car with the dealer and made it quite clear that im happy as long as the car fully meets the description,as i didn t fancy doing a 300 mile round trip twice.
Just have to learn how to drive without a clutch now as ive never driven an auto/semi auto etc on the road before  :driver: