Make a donation

Author Topic: No power after getting a full service.  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
No power after getting a full service.
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Hi, I have a 07 Golf GTI DSG, I bought it 4 weeks ago,

I took it into my local VW dealer last Friday for a full service,

They done,

oil filter Kit, Pollen Filter, Petrol Filter, Air Filter,
Fuse-20 AMP, G12-Coolant, A/Con Belt, Spark Plugs, Timing Belt Kit, Water Pump, DSG Gear Oil.

I collected my car Saturday evening, Service Manager went through all the work that was carried out and he also said that the Diagnostic Report came back with a fault, Turbo/Super Charger Overboost.
He told me to keep an eye on any sudden loss of power, and if i didn't notice anything, then it was ok,

I asked him was there a date for when that fault first came up, he said "no the date didn't come up for some reason"
He said everything came back with just the year 2000, but couldn't tell me when the Turbo Fault first came up,

So anyway i got my car and 5 minutes into my drive home i noticed i had no power whats soever, at first i thought i was just imagining it, so i kept driving but i just knew it wasn't right, it seemed to be reving way higher than usual before it changed gear and no power at all.

I rang the service manager, told him what was going on, he told me to bring it back on monday as they were now about to close.

I took it back this morning, and he told me that, yes the turbo is gone and needs to be replaced.

So my question is, would the Turbo go just like that? up to Saturday evening i never had a problem with it loosing power like that,
I mean i drove it into their yard with no trouble and 5 minutes after i get it back the Turbo is gone,

Is it all just a huge coincidence?

Sorry for the long post,

Thnaks guys.

Offline badbwoy27

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Re: No power after getting a full service.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »
Any excessive smoke coming from exhaust (blue) does sound abit suspect.i would blame them no matter what and get a new turbo out of it for free :wink:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:01:24 pm »
Can i assume plse that you demanded all your money back for the 'service' etc, and (up to your discretion) demanded the money that you paid for the car on the spot, or at the very least asked 'so when will you be changing my turbo foc then'?????  :fighting:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »
Whats the mileage on the car?
Also what service regime has it been on, Time and Distance or the variable interval?

Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:11 pm »
I didn't notice any Blue smoke, They still have the car now, Dunno what to do,

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »
im not sure over the DSG box but at the garage i work at we have had problems with auto's not changing gear until higher revs as there was not enough oil in the box. Might be connected as they have done the oil change. Power loss problem it could be a coincidence but as it was fine before maybe the timing is not quite right! so they have done alot of things to the car that could have caused all those faults! maybe a sensor has not being plugged back in... with out looking its hard to say! i would personally say with everything they have done to it,  something has not been done quite right!
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »
Did you buy it privately or from a dealer, if its the latter did you get some warranty, IIRC they have to give a month under the sale of goods but stand to be corrected.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:13 pm »
demand ALL your money back, surely we all agree on this one, then move on!!??

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:06:35 pm »
Is the car mapped??

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
Can i assume plse that you demanded all your money back for the 'service' etc, and (up to your discretion) demanded the money that you paid for the car on the spot, or at the very least asked 'so when will you be changing my turbo foc then'?????  :fighting:

No i paid them in full for the service, because at the time the service manger lead me to believe that the Turbo "might" go, i didn't actually think it was gone right now.
 I didn't buy the car from them, i bought it private.

Whats the mileage on the car?
Also what service regime has it been on, Time and Distance or the variable interval?

63000 miles, it has only got one VW Service when it was a year old or so, The guy i bought it from said he serviced it himself.

Thats why i wanted to take it to VW Dealer, just wanted to start off the right way with it,

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:10 pm »
demand ALL your money back, surely we all agree on this one, then move on!!??

i wouldn't go in ranting and raving at first as they may just say yes ok we will sort it but i would be firm and say it was 100 %  fine before going in for all the work and say its very strange how its all happened after all this work! and if they are denying all blame then contact VW uk and complain big time!
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:14 pm »
im not sure over the DSG box but at the garage i work at we have had problems with auto's not changing gear until higher revs as there was not enough oil in the box. Might be connected as they have done the oil change. Power loss problem it could be a coincidence but as it was fine before maybe the timing is not quite right! so they have done alot of things to the car that could have caused all those faults! maybe a sensor has not being plugged back in... with out looking its hard to say! i would personally say with everything they have done to it,  something has not been done quite right!

ya they did do alot of work to it that why I'm thinking they just done something wrong, but won't admit it now, or maybe the didn't, I'm just not sure, but i did say the the mechanic this morning "would it have anything to do with changing the Air Filter and a sensor or something, he just looked at me and said "no"

Is the car mapped??

Id be safe to say no.

Did you buy it privately or from a dealer, if its the latter did you get some warranty, IIRC they have to give a month under the sale of goods but stand to be corrected.

I bought it private, no warranty.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:20:55 pm »
i'd seek legal advice on this one then tbh if this sale has been private..

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 09:22:49 pm »
Hi, I have a 07 Golf GTI DSG, I bought it 4 weeks ago,

I took it into my local VW dealer last Friday for a

So anyway i got my car and 5 minutes into my drive home i noticed i had no power whats soever, at first i thought i was just imagining it, so i kept driving but i just knew it wasn't right, it seemed to be reving way higher than usual before it changed gear and no power at all.

I rang the service manager, told him what was going on, he told me to bring it back on monday as they were now about to close.

I took it back this morning, and he told me that, yes the turbo is gone and needs to be replaced.

I've been working on these since VW launched them, we also tune them day to day very heavily, I've never had a K03 turbo let go yet unless there was an oil starvation issue!! ( maybe someone ran it with no oil in by mistake??)
Does the power return if you turn the engine off then back on ??
That would suggest a falty N75 boost control valve (again easy to damage whilst doing a belt)

I'm sure if a customer of mine brought a perfectly running car into the shop in the morning then drove away with a faulty one on the way home I would be sorting the problem FOC !!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:51:17 pm by Statller-Stevo »

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 09:28:57 pm »

I've been working on these since VW launched them, we also tune them day to day very heavily, I've never had a K03 turbo let go yet unless there was an oil starvation issue!! ( maybe someone ran it with no oil in by mistake??)
Does the power return if you turn the engine off then back on ??
That would suggest a falty N75 boost control valve (again easy to damage whilst doing a belt)

I'm sure if a customer of mine brought a perfectly running car into the shop in the morning then drove away with a faulty one on the way home I would be sorting the problem FOC !!

No the power doesn't return if i turn it off and back on, its the same.
Why wasn't he able to give me a date of when the problem first came up?