Make a donation

Author Topic: HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy.... FIXED! thanks people!  (Read 5006 times)

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy.... FIXED! thanks people!
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:20:43 pm »
Just noticed this on my bonnet, thought initially it was like tree sap or something but its not.  I checked other parts of the car and its all over it :( :( :( i dont know what it is or where its come from, pics below, it has no feel, its not raised or anything.............very worried right now!  There are a few patches on the bonnet, the one on the pic is just above the door handles and one big patch on the back pannel.....its totally smooth to feel, no different to the rest of the paint work.

ive tried to take the best pics i could, its hard to show in a photo.  anyone know what this is, how its caused and how to get rid of it?? could you detail it out?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:10:04 pm by janus909GTI »

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
Re: HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »
Has it been painted? Looks similar to what happened on a friends after it had been painted then a car cover used

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »
If the car hasn't been painted, I wonder whether it's moisture trapped under the clear coat, in which case it may settle once the weather improves.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »
Thanks for the response chaps,

The side skirts were sprayed the other week but this area has never been touched no?

Moisture under the paint, to be fair it does look like that but can that even happen?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »
its where they have covered it in plastic sheeting and then probably left it outside.

A proper machine polish should remove it.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »
Was the side skirts on the car when they sprayed them..if so there has been moist under the area where its been masked of then placed in the oven to dry of

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:58 am »
Was the side skirts on the car when they sprayed them..if so there has been moist under the area where its been masked of then placed in the oven to dry of

Yeah from what I understand they left them on, so do u reckon thats what has caused this? Cause its been raining all week since having it done I've nit really noticed it.

Is it fixable???

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:04 pm »
Hey guys, anyone had any more thoughts on what this his, im keen to figure out what it is and how its happened, do u reckon it has been caused by the body shop?

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Offline ewang33

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • newportedition
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »
It almost looks like tape residue left after a detail or stuck over un-cured paint. Looks to only be in the clear coat so it may just buff out. Good luck!

Offline CleanDetail

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • CleanDetail - Yorkshire Detailing Services
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
Hey guys, anyone had any more thoughts on what this his, im keen to figure out what it is and how its happened, do u reckon it has been caused by the body shop?

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?
Id say its most probably from the body shop due to moisture. But a good machine polish will remove this, as part of machine polishing it generates heat which will also improve the situation.

I get alot of this where people have had magnets stuck to the car and water has got behind them and when the paint heats hot and water is still trapped it caused this issue.

Hope that helps,
ATB
Nick
CleanDetail - Yorkshire Detailing Services
Fully Insured | Studio & Mobile | BMW Appoved | Ceramic Paint Protection
www.mobile-detailing.co.uk - 01302 354798 - info@cleandetail.com

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy....ALL FIXED :)
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »
thanks to everyone for their input - i took it back to the body shop, it was what most people said, water getting under the plastic sheeting  had damaged the paintwork

30 minutes later it was back to its old self!

in fairness, thanks to the guys at G and D Smart Repairs Bristol, did it straight away, no questions asked!

seeing these machine polishers go has made me think i need to get myself 1 and sort out the whole car!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Re: HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy....ALL FIXED :)
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:08 pm »
thanks to everyone for their input - i took it back to the body shop, it was what most people said, water getting under the plastic sheeting  had damaged the paintwork

30 minutes later it was back to its old self!

in fairness, thanks to the guys at G and D Smart Repairs Bristol, did it straight away, no questions asked!

seeing these machine polishers go has made me think i need to get myself 1 and sort out the whole car!

Oh lord i'd hate to see it now those monkeys have polished it. Hologram city in the sun !!  :scared:

If your happy with it fair enough but id have got them to pay for a proper detailer
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: HELP!!! Paintwork gone crazy.... FIXED! thanks people!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »
Holagram city, i don't even know what that means? Can you not polish a car in the sun?

Ultimately from what i can see they restored it to how it was before, that's all i can ask for - he's running a business trying to earn a living, don't think its fair to make a fuss or ask him to fork out however much to detail the body work. (maybe that's just me)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »
Holograms are marks caused by poor polishing technique and are more prominent in sunlight:

http://depthofshine.wordpress.com/marine/img_3883/

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 06:55:18 pm »
Did you protect it afterwards?