Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG maxogen whistle  (Read 22779 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Re: ITG maxogen whistle
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 07:26:44 pm »
My K&N Typhoon intake did this as well.  I think it is to do wth the design of the turbo and the position of the DV and how the diverted air is fed back into the intake.  The K04 DV feeds the air back into the intake from a different position than on the K03 and I think the noise is the air being pulled over where the diverted air is reintroduced into the intake side again and whistling. Well thats my theory anyway :rolleye:

makes sense.

The KO3 doesnt put the air into the actual intake at all does it? So not really something that can be changed at all?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 07:27:35 pm »
I've got the WVR version (still made by ITG as far as I'm aware) K04, with a remap and absolutely no whistle at all.

Pretty much the same intakes, both enclosed as yours is Jedi.

Just whoosh, whoosh n more whoosh (and some flutter) when you floor it. When driving round town you cant even hear the intake.

Maybe ask ITG what the difference is?

Andy.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 07:29:19 pm »
I've got the WVR version (still made by ITG as far as I'm aware) K04, with a remap and absolutely no whistle at all.

Pretty much the same intakes, both enclosed as yours is Jedi.

Just whoosh, whoosh n more whoosh (and some flutter) when you floor it. When driving round town you cant even hear the intake.

Maybe ask ITG what the difference is?

Andy.

I think the KO4 cars are immune because of the different DV location.

Its just odd how some KO3 cars do it and some dont. gives me hope that there is a way of stopping it at least.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
Good luck, I'm sure you'd prefer your car not performing a concerto in f major every time you go quickly  :signLOL:

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:44 am »
So thats the following that have the whistle:

jedi-knight - stage 1 KO3 - ITG
mkviken - MK6 stage 1 - ITG
gigolo456 - unknown car - Twintake?
GarethB - KO3 - ITG
JMP - KO3 - ITG
bigmig95 - MK5 stage 1 KO3 - ITG new cannister arrangement.
jamiek1065 - stage 1 KO3 - ITG

Edited list  :happy2:

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53:02 am »
Mine is GTi, and yes, got a Twintake! Actual whistle to one side, is it actually affecting performance do we know??

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:24 am »

Mine is GTi, and yes, got a Twintake! Actual whistle to one side, is it actually affecting performance do we know??

....So far we are pretty confident that performance is not being affected.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:16 am »

Is yours a KO3 turbo?

And from listening to the 2 videos its exactly the same noise?

I think its clear its not just the ITG then... but still very odd how it affects some cars and not others...

Its also clear its not such a rare case as ITG thought though.. its just rare that people complain direct to them I guess.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:11 am »
Yes, mine is a KO3, i guess i would never have thought it a problem, so would never have raised it if you guys hadn't. I recently had a Rev G DV fitted, so thought it might have something to do with that tbh! It only happens in low gears at low revs, so only accts for about perhaps 10% of my actual driving. From what i can make out, it's not affecting my performance!? I will have to listen to that video, see if yours is worse...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:04 am »

Its also clear its not such a rare case as ITG thought though.. its just rare that people complain direct to them I guess.

....People are often shy about complaining face-to-face directly to manufacturers but, as many have said to me (who isn't shy), without feedback how can we know and then do anything about it? They prefer to complain about a problem to their friends. English reserve? :rolleye:

'Complaining', as long as it isn't done rudely or angrily, provides valuable feedback.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:42 am »

....People are often shy about complaining face-to-face directly to manufacturers but, as many have said to me (who isn't shy), without feedback how can we know and then do anything about it? They prefer to complain about a problem to their friends. English reserve? :rolleye:

'Complaining', as long as it isn't done rudely or angrily, provides valuable feedback.

exactly.

And like i've said.. it doesnt seem as if its something specifically wrong with the ITG intake... but this sound is very annoying and has been the cause of several people getting rid of the intake it seems... and if there is some little change ITG (or Forge / K&N etc) can make to silence the noise then I'm sure they will sell more intakes because there will be less on the 2nd hand market because people wont be forced to remove them  :innocent:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:12 am »
Out of interest... all of these whistling cars... have you knocked out your pre cat or is it still in place?

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
I have full TBE with Sports Cat...

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 02:18:09 pm »
just put my stock airbox / engine cover back on and logged it. no whistle at all and at peak the g/s is only 10-15 less than the itg so surely it cant be a small amount of extra air causing the whistle? must be something else with the way the air arrives at the turbo now or its a resonating sound in the metal piping?

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 03:05:46 pm »
VW will have spent a lot of time and effort on NVH on the stock intake to silence such noises.  Far more than ITG and Forge would as theirs are performance products with lets face it not much in the way of silencing qualities.  Would you not agree that they would just be chasing peak flows ? 

Personally it doesn't bother me unless the noise is a product of something other than the filter pipe resonance ie. boost control hardware resonating or malfunctioning.  The commonality of it 'may' suggest its purely natural turbo noises amplified by a big load of pipe with sponge on the end ?? 

I guess some test at R-tech may get to the bottom of it.