Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie with 55 plate GTI MK5 - Water Pump & Cambelt advice needed!  (Read 1468 times)

Runningman35

Just got mk5 3 door last month in Tornado Red with just 4900 miles on clock! Have added a couple of thousand already and noticing a whine and fluttering sound on start up for a few minutes which then disappears once on the move. 

Really enjoying the car otherwise but tyres will need renewing as 7 years old nearly and starting to crack a little...

Called the previous owner to check history and definitely never changed the above items. According to my observations it is recommended that a change of belt and water pump is done at 80k miles or 4 years, is this true?

What charge is competitive for the work? I have a quote of around £680 from main dealer, and local independents seem to be around £433 to a low of £407 inc vat and labour and coolant etc.

Any recommendations for Aberdeen/shire area? :smiley:

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
Re: Newbie with 55 plate GTI MK5 - Water Pump & Cambelt advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »
I believe it's 60000 miles or every 4 years  :happy2:

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »
Vw should do the Cambelt as a fixed price servicing for £339 or £419 with the waterpump

http://www.john-clark.co.uk/volkswagen/aftersales-offers/volkswagen-servicing-in-scotland

Near the bottom of this page

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
^^^^ what he said!! Get it done ASAP if you have the "trapped budgy" sound on start up.

Welcome along BTW.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Runningman35

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »
 :happy2:

Thanks everyone, after due consideration I am getting it done locally tomorrow for £407 all in.  Much better than a new engine. They even offered me a look at the belt once it is taken off, can't imagine main dealer even thinking about giving me the chance to do that!

Can't wait to see the difference in the car after this done!

On another note is it just me or does the council decide to cover every B road in loose chippings at the same time, so you can't avoid delivery drivers charging at you and peppering your f-ing car. I had no stone chips at the start of the week and now I need to get the bonnet painted, .....double turds! :sick:

Offline -blade-

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Members Rides
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »
Another tornado red in the shire i see  :drinking:
I had exact b-road resurfacing problem last week   :sad1: it's the hot tar in it that I hate
'05GTI FSI Tornado Red | Leather | 18"BBS | lowered on Coilovers | TorqueTronix @260BHP | ITG intake | Forge DV | SS Downpipe | SS De-cat | Carbon Grille | HID's | Team Heko Deflectors | Ducted Fog Covers |

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »
:happy2:

Thanks everyone, after due consideration I am getting it done locally tomorrow for £407 all in.  Much better than a new engine. They even offered me a look at the belt once it is taken off, can't imagine main dealer even thinking about giving me the chance to do that!

Can't wait to see the difference in the car after this done!

On another note is it just me or does the council decide to cover every B road in loose chippings at the same time, so you can't avoid delivery drivers charging at you and peppering your f-ing car. I had no stone chips at the start of the week and now I need to get the bonnet painted, .....double turds! :sick:

Am sure its my imaginarion but the Tornado Red's really does seem to suffer with stone chips (at least my ED30 does  :sad1:).  It's got to the point where I'm thinking about a front end respray!

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~