Make a donation

Author Topic: Timing belt srevice....  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
Timing belt srevice....
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:47:15 pm »
Right,I'm  mildly confused....which is a normal state of being for me,but I'll continue.
In october,I had the car serviced ata a VW main dealer-oil/filter change brake inspection ,all that stuff and when I got the bill,they had recommended that a timing belt renewal would be coming up.
Now,after reading a few threads on here about this subject,I believe that the timing belt comes as part of a kit including tensioners,bolts and water pump.Can anyone confirm this?
The reason I'm asking is this (stick with me cos this is a long and convoluted story :grin:)--I have to travel around 180 miles to get to the main VW dealer.I have a an independant garage that used to be a VW franchise(who for various reasons could not afford to have the shiny showroom standards that VW wanted) within 10mins of me who can supply all genuine VAG parts and do all that the dealer can do but at a fraction of the price.
It's kind of the best of both worlds-a VW backed independant with non VW prices!
Anyway,the main point is that they tell me that the timing belt and tensioner can be changed without having to change the water pump.Is this advislabe to do,or should the pump be changed too?
They've quoted me £165 exc VAT and including labour to do the belt and another £37 if I want them to do the pump too.Slightly better than the £560 that VW wanted.Which although a lot cheaper,has the effect of making me wonder why VW main franchises charge so much?

On another note,I phoned VW UK today to order up the Edition 30 plaque.Will be notified in seven days.... :congrats:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bgqevfsj06j7oh42ggq53ufob3&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Timing belt srevice....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:51:41 pm »
Yes you can get the belt and tensioner changed without doing the water pump, but as the belt is off you might as well do the pump. If the pump fails then you can get in bother very quickly.

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:02:11 pm »
Yes you can get the belt and tensioner changed without doing the water pump, but as the belt is off you might as well do the pump. If the pump fails then you can get in bother very quickly.

Cheers for that.
Are the pumps a known weak point then,or are they designed to wear out after a certain mileage?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bgqevfsj06j7oh42ggq53ufob3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:10:55 pm »
Ive not heard of them failing to be honest with you.... but as the impeller is plastic it is possible that it can break.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:07 pm »
And it's only the part costs, there's very little extra labour involved to do the pump while the belt is off. Ideal time to do a coolant change as well.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:31:12 am »
That to me seams to cheap £165 + £37  including vat =£248  for Belt and a pump change ,I am sure I will be corrected but thought its around a four hour job as well and the parts from vw are around £150 .

I have a pair off Audi trained guy just started a new Garage local who are very good , but they are £40 per hour probe half VW/Audi rates

From what I have been advised it was a £350+ job

Hope this helps

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:55 am »
I'm glad to find this topic  :happy2:
I was involved in a similar discussion on another forum regarding the timing belt. In the end I went to the dealer to check when the timing belt is scheduled. Apparently it should be changed at every 180.000 km without any time condition (like 4, 5 years). This data came from the dealer program (ElsaWin I think) on my VIN and my recorded so far service history. I double checked with the service plan book that I have inside the car and found the same 180.000 km with no time condition.
I have a 4 years Edition 30 (will be 5 by November) with only 28.000 km. I was mainly wondering if at the next service (which is scheduled for September) a timing belt (plus tensioner, water pump etc) should be also on the list or I should go with the VW service plan. The service guy from over there recommended that because of the very low mileage just the belt should be replaced just for safety reasons, being mostly rubber can suffer from aging.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:38 am »
Bane, get it all changed buddy as that's a VERY good price and as stated before its a no brainier to do at the same time, false economy not to. Had mine done from VW main dealer last month and all in it was £419 (price from their website) so not sure where your dealer got that price from.   :laugh:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing

SPB,  

It's every 4 years, regardless of mileage.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:49:05 am by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:48:58 am »
Are you sure? Apparently the guys from the service (VW dealer) thought the same but the service plan doesn't mention anything about changing it on elapsed time neither the service plan hand book. It's quite a dilemma, a 500euro one :)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
Some peeps say one thing, some another but MOST say 4 years if mileage not reached first. Best to be safe then sorry, some horror stories of costs when it goes.

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »
Bane, get it all changed buddy as that's a VERY good price and as stated before its a no brainier to do at the same time, false economy not to. Had mine done from VW main dealer last month and all in it was £419 (price from their website) so not sure where your dealer got that price from.   :laugh:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing

SPB,  

It's every 4 years, regardless of mileage.

I;ve been in to see them this morning to book it in.
All parts ordered,inc belt,tensioner,roller pins,bolts and water pump...just shy of £200 for the parts...may get a discount too for being a good customer of their's,over the years I've owned VW's. :happy2:
Also agree that it would be false economy not to do it all as if anything that wasn't replaced failed further on,then it would all need to be done again.
Apparently,there isn't a timing kit as such, for the Edition 30-all the components are available seperately,depending on what's required.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
^^^^ good stuff bud. very good price that. :happy2:

Are VW sending you your Plaque then? What's your number, do you know. Was like Chistmas when mine turned up!  :happy2:

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:29:02 pm »
^^^^ good stuff bud. very good price that. :happy2:

Are VW sending you your Plaque then? What's your number, do you know. Was like Chistmas when mine turned up!  :happy2:

Dunno yet,only phoned yesterday after waiting an eternity to get through!
Supposedly,I'll hear something in seven days,after the request has been processed.No idea what the number will be,but I reckon it'll be in the four figures.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »
^^^^ hope they find it for you!!  :happy2:

Offline kingchrissyp

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 09:37:34 pm »
VW prices are crazy at times,i had a main dealer ring me to say my rear pads were low last time i had the car in and wanted to quote me to do them - £170 to just change the rear brake pads!
I said don t wory ill do them my self - £20 job done  :happy2:
Last time i went to VW they were charging nearly £100ph labour  :laugh: