Make a donation

Author Topic: water butts  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
Re: water butts
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:47:02 am »
I can understand the filter bit but surely the actual acid and other chemical content of rainwater would make it a poor choice to wash your car with?

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:09 pm »
I use water from teh water butts when rinsing my car off after washing, no streaks and no water marks, it has a built in filter between the downpipe and water butt, the filter needs cleaning out about once every 3 months as it does collect some sand (Live 150yds from beach) and other debris.

No worries rinsing my car with water from it at all, regards "Acid Rain" is it any worse for your car that it sitting the rain anyway?  :grin:, it wont be an issue unless your car NEVER goes out in the rain or is permanently in the garage (in which case why bother having a car)  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 06:05:00 pm »
I can understand the filter bit but surely the actual acid and other chemical content of rainwater would make it a poor choice to wash your car with?
Rain water is actully better to wash your car with as it has a p.h of around 5.5 which is rather neutral. Water that comes out of the tap has a p.h of around 6.8 and can be as high as 7.8 depending on the area you are in,which means it has a higher alkalinity content. Hope that helps.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gqbmtsh0cmldtq19d0cu58f17k&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:46 pm »

But why.... rain is failing on my car right this second... is it damaging it? Nope!!

Now..... i never use rainwater to wash my car, but i would do if i had the room for a big enough BUTT!!!  :signLOL:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »

But why.... rain is failing on my car right this second... is it damaging it? Nope!!

Now..... i never use rainwater to wash my car, but i would do if i had the room for a big enough BUTT!!!  :signLOL:

Cue the 'cheeky' photos"..........

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »

..........what about the grit & rubbish washed off the roof/guttering & then going into the water butt?.

....And also the drowned snails and other organisms which develop in standing rainwater.

I only use my butt's water for watering my sunflowers and topping up my wildlife pond occasionally.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:13 pm »
The butts should have nice lids on them to stop those pesky snails and other rubbish. The TV ad's that karcher have been running showing that they can now use water from the butts was more for the hose pipe ban, nothing more. I'm running a 2 butt system.

First from the gutter downpipe which then filters/overfills into the second. The second is used for the car as all the crap from the roof settles in the first. Only floating debris is in the second butt which doesn't get picked up.

In the second butt I have a cheap lift pump pushing water down the hose to the pressure washer out the front. This gives good pressure and also has a built in filter.

The first butt with all the crap in gets used for the plants. :)

MVB, if you're about on Sunday for the Grasshopper meet pop round before and I'll show you the setup.

Fish

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:48 pm »
The butts should have nice lids on them to stop those pesky snails and other rubbish. The TV ad's that karcher have been running showing that they can now use water from the butts was more for the hose pipe ban, nothing more. I'm running a 2 butt system.

First from the gutter downpipe which then filters/overfills into the second. The second is used for the car as all the crap from the roof settles in the first. Only floating debris is in the second butt which doesn't get picked up.

In the second butt I have a cheap lift pump pushing water down the hose to the pressure washer out the front. This gives good pressure and also has a built in filter.

The first butt with all the crap in gets used for the plants. :)

MVB, if you're about on Sunday for the Grasshopper meet pop round before and I'll show you the setup.

Fish
+1.  :congrats: