Make a donation

Author Topic: annoying knock - heeellppp  (Read 680 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
annoying knock - heeellppp
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:41 pm »
its driving me crazy right now

so iv got a knock.problem, checked the suspension and bushes are good (top.mountd) and theres no play (jacked car up and tried to moce the wheel and damper - nothing) and all the bolts are tight on them.) what should i look for..

its almost over bump it sounds like metal on metal and a knock rather than a band.. can hear it through the cabin but is definately coming from the engine bay.. it started when i was turning right under load it would make a poping knock noise nows its either side and even driving in a straight line.

any advice with picutres of what to check would be appreciated.

if its something i can do then ill do it and change what i can but if its something more difficulr garage will be getting a unhappy driver.

many thanks

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: annoying knock - heeellppp
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:48 pm »
I had something similar with my Astra, i checked all the mounts, changed anti roll bar links and an engine mount and still couldn't sort it.

I struggled to get a garage to look at my car as they were all "too busy" (most only do mots around here)

In the end I put the car in for an Mot just to find out what was wrong and it failed on a shock absorber, pair of new schools and problem sorted

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:36:21 pm »
hmmm i dont think its the shockd though as they felt really solid and it can be on any bump, sounds more like something loose and or knocking rather than the strut failing, plus they still feel solid when driving no change in ride hieght :s the more i read the more i think itd the drop loinks amd anti roll bar but not too sure how to check them apart from taking them off?

cheers mate

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »
Drop links are cheap enough so worth a try.

But I ended up spending money replacing things that didn't need replacing.

You can't really check the bushes etc as easy with the car jacked up compared to up on a ramp that's why I tried putting the car for an mot as they check all these parts anyway and if you find a garage doing cheap MOTs £30 will find the problem rather than potentially hundreds fixing random parts