Make a donation

Author Topic: What a trip that was!!  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 16
What a trip that was!!
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:23:04 am »
Well after 12 days of driving around the continent I'm back in the UK. All I can say is wow, there is some really beautiful scenery out there. We didn't have as much time (and money) as we'd have liked and so didn't spend that much time in each place as we'd have liked but it was still good. We spent a few days in Chamonix, rented mountain bikes and took the ski lift to the top and rode down the mountain, what an experience that was :signLOL: My mate over did it twice and came off his bike and off the side of the mountain, luckily there was a lot of trees where he came off and so stopped him from falling all the way :surprised:
We visited the the Stelvio pass in Italy (now thats a road) basically just a hill with harepins every 100m. On the way back down the Stelvio Pass we got the brakes that hot that the discs were glowing red. As a consequence my centre caps melted (the tabs on the back which hold them in and so lost their tension)
I had a few high speed blasts on the Autobahn nearly touching 170mph on the speedo which showed as about 155mph on the sat nav. I think I might of overdone it slightly though as my engine management light came on, so I limped to the next hotel wich was right near the ring. The next morning I found a track car rental place who scanned my car and the light was due to the cat. I have a 200cel sports cat, so could I have damaged it by going so fast for too long? Anyway got it cleared and had a lap of the ring. It was absolutely pi55ing it down so it was pretty quiet, but traction was really poor, its really slippy in the wet so defo not broken any records.

The only thing that went wrong was my anti roll bar clamp snapped again (autotech arb) this is the second time in 6 months one has snapped. Has anyone else had any issues with these?
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: What a trip that was!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:14 pm »
Sounds like you had a good trip. Have to get some pics up if you got any  :wink:

As for the rear arb, funny you should ask http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50567.0.html

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »
We spent a few days in Chamonix, rented mountain bikes and took the ski lift to the top and rode down the mountain, what an experience that was :signLOL: My mate over did it twice and came off his bike and off the side of the mountain, luckily there was a lot of trees where he came off and so stopped him from falling all the way :surprised:

Les Grand Montets? My parents have a place a little further on in Argentiere. The mountain biking is great in that area, though I tend to use the lifts at Le Tour. It's a bit easier going!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:32:50 pm »

Brilliant Russ!

What's a BCS sound like at 160?  :evilgrin:

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »
Sounds like you had a good trip.

Im leaving for Germany on Sunday morning, the Stelvio pass is one of the passes that im doing, it will be my second time round the Stelvio  :driver:
What was the weather like when you were over there? I keep checking the online BBC weather im expecting plenty of showers etc.

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »
Everywhere was red hot except for Germany the day we went to the ring, which was pi55ing it down and Amsterdam was also bad weather.

Mike, pretty loud but still a nice note. Always get compliments on how nice it sounds  :evilgrin:

Cheers but its just the front clamps that have snapped on me twice now, but I'll definately be keeping an eye on the actual bars aswell now front and rear :chicken:

Mike I noticed in your pics on the other thread that your clamps for your arb also look like an 11 year old has designed and made them in school from thin cheap metal. Both times my autotech ones broke, they broke in the same place that yours did. Sureley there must be a lot of force put on these thin clamps when conering hard and such so why put such cheap ones on? I'ts no good having the best arb's if the clamps fail every few months.
Black 2007 gti, 18' monza 2, sat-nav, highline, i-pod dock, armrest, 35mm H&R springs, WALK, BCS tbe, autotech front and rear arbs, ITG maxogen, NQSBBK... and more to come

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »
 Me and jhtropy leave for France next Friday and will be in Chamonix the week after as we go every year and drive all over the place it's such a stunning part of the world

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »
Yeah I really liked chamonix and I'll be definately going again. We were on the mountain pass between Chamonix and the Swiss border on a nice harepin when the arb clamp snapped  :confused:

Some really beautifull scenery out there I think in the end the countries we drove through/visited were France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and Holland (not counting England in there even though we drove pretty much the length of it)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 06:09:45 pm »
Me and jhtropy leave for France next Friday and will be in Chamonix the week after as we go every year and drive all over the place it's such a stunning part of the world
:jumpmove: looks like you had a good trip :happy2: pics?
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »
 :jumpmove: bring it on mate  :jumpmove:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »
Pics russ, need pics!

Offline Russ_leeds

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
Ok I'll get on it tomorrow, off out soon.

Dave yhpm :happy2: