Make a donation

Author Topic: after a new cam what to get  (Read 7190 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
Re: after a new cam what to get
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:27 pm »
I third that, Canon G12 is a fantastic all-rounder, relatively light weight too. A no brainer to just pick up, full auto and snap away, yet get into the settings and it performs as good as an SLR.

It doesn't perform as well as a DSLR.... They are good, but no where near as good as a 7D or 5dii for example.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »
The don't have the sensor acreage like a DSLR. G12 is small sensor, G1-X is bigger but still way short of even a crop sensor DSLR.  :wink:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 12:11:01 am »
^^ Not only that but the way in which they can be operated. Yes, the G series do have manual controls, but they are slow and a bit of a pig to use compared to a DSLR... also focusing speed, Image resolution... etc... etc.... etc.......

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 9
  • I was born a while ago and I'm not dead yet.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 07:26:32 pm »
I've been looking for a new camera for a little while too. Was leaning towards a Nikon D3100 but wasn't sure because of its size whether it would be practical for taking on holiday etc.

A deal came up today on the Panasonic Lumix GF2 so I've taken the plunge and bought it. Only £199.97 at Dixons for the camera with the 14mm lens (Same camera +lens is over £400 on Amazon).

Should be ideal for casual use I think :smiley:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:28:22 pm by Billy »

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:58 am »
I've been looking for a new camera for a little while too. Was leaning towards a Nikon D3100 but wasn't sure because of its size whether it would be practical for taking on holiday etc.

A deal came up today on the Panasonic Lumix GF2 so I've taken the plunge and bought it. Only £199.97 at Dixons for the camera with the 14mm lens (Same camera +lens is over £400 on Amazon).

I have just got one as well :happy2:

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »
I'll await my commission cheque from Dixons in the post  :laugh:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:17 am »
The Sony DSC HX20V seems to be the one i'll be geting soon  , trouble is there will be a better one out as soon as i buy it . Quite like the idea of the Canon S95 or 100 but the zoom loses it for the Canon but the sensor does it for the Canon !! I hate tech decisions ! Any other input . Are there filters for all compact Cameras or only some ?
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »

So pissed off with Dixons over this. They sent me the wrong camera through. I returned it by courier on Monday and I've just had an email from them saying oh sorry the camera you actually ordered is out of stock now.

HULK SMASH PUNY DIXONS.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 07:31:28 pm »

So pissed off with Dixons over this. They sent me the wrong camera through. I returned it by courier on Monday and I've just had an email from them saying oh sorry the camera you actually ordered is out of stock now.

HULK SMASH PUNY DIXONS.

Mate, got mine from here http://www.parkcameras.com/18363/Panasonic-DMC-GF2-Black---14-42mm-Lens---serviced.html

Although its not brand new, I can't tell! came in original box with all leads, battery/charger, cd's and lens is 14mm-42mm lens which according to reviews is better than standard 14mm! Bought mine with 4gb SDHC and arrived in a day!

More than happy :happy2:

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:57 am »
Thanks Ian but that link doesn't seem to work. I don't think they have it in stock anymore.

Your link was to the one that Dixons sent me by mistake - the one with the 14-42 mm lens. It was the 14mm pancake lens version I had ordered :(

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:04 am »
Thanks Ian but that link doesn't seem to work. I don't think they have it in stock anymore.

Your link was to the one that Dixons sent me by mistake - the one with the 14-42 mm lens. It was the 14mm pancake lens version I had ordered :(

Sorry mate when I posted the link they were still in stock.

Rgds

Ian