Make a donation

Author Topic: Pirelli GTI Update  (Read 48048 times)

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Pirelli GTI Update
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »
I like you bbk

Thanks Steph, they are good quality and pull the car up quick but were exspensive and took a while to come, so maybe I would recomend trying another brand, I think I waited at least 4 months or so for them to be sent from Italy.

Cheers Paul

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:10 pm »
Just a small update this time.

I was back in the UK for a long weekend and had the Brembo's fitted when back, I went for the smaller of the Brembo range (328mm x 28 mm) to keep the weight down and to eliminate the need for spacers and they seem to perform really good and feel a vast improvement over the previous set up. The calipers fitted nice behind the wheels with about 4 mm clearance. All in all very pleased with them but they were expensive (GBP 2,556.00 with the VAT) and took ages to arrive (Around 4 months), so if anybody was thinking of getting them they may be able to find better alternative options.

Whilst back and having the brakes fitted I also took the opportunity to have the timing belt and fuel pump etc. changed, the car had only done 17,242 but since 3 and a half years old now I thought it would be worth doing.

I also played about with the Revo SPS switch and set up for various fuels etc. as follows:

Performance A bad fuel     B=6 T=2 F=9 (Same as Revo default)

Performance B average fuel      B=6 T=4 F=9

Performance C good fuel      B=6 T=6 F=9

Stock      B=? T=? F=?   

Does anybody know what the stock setting is for the Revo switch, is it B1 T0 F0?

Cheers Paul

hi paul, have you noticed on your vw anti theft valve caps that the actual anti theft screw which isnt stainless steel rusts at all, i fitted a set a month ago and noticed it already ? got them of e-bay but maybe its just the quality of mine

Hi Scott

I feel I may have the same issues with these ones also soon as the anti theft screws are just mild steel looking grub screws so I expect they will rust and if they do I will remove them and use the caps without them. I had aluminum caps before and they were a pain as they kept corroding on and I needed pliers etc. to free them off.

In the pictures the caps had only been on a couple of days or so and that’s why the locking screws have not rusted yet. A mate gave me them so I presume they will be off the eBay or similar too.

Cheers Paul

Offline steph8421

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • VW Addict
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »
I like you bbk

Thanks Steph, they are good quality and pull the car up quick but were exspensive and took a while to come, so maybe I would recomend trying another brand, I think I waited at least 4 months or so for them to be sent from Italy.

Cheers Paul

4 months :surprised:
i try to fit a bbk too!

scottm72

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »

I was back in the UK for a long weekend and had the Brembo's fitted when back, I went for the smaller of the Brembo range (328mm x 28 mm) to keep the weight down and to eliminate the need for spacers and they seem to perform really good and feel a vast improvement over the previous set up. The calipers fitted nice behind the wheels with about 4 mm clearance. All in all very pleased with them but they were expensive (GBP 2,556.00 with the VAT) and took ages to arrive (Around 4 months), so if anybody was thinking of getting them they may be able to find better alternative options.

Whilst back and having the brakes fitted I also took the opportunity to have the timing belt and fuel pump etc. changed, the car had only done 17,242 but since 3 and a half years old now I thought it would be worth doing.

I also played about with the Revo SPS switch and set up for various fuels etc. as follows:

Stock      B=? T=? F=?   

Does anybody know what the stock setting is for the Revo switch, is it B1 T0 F0?

Cheers Paul

hi paul, have you noticed on your vw anti theft valve caps that the actual anti theft screw which isnt stainless steel rusts at all, i fitted a set a month ago and noticed it already ? got them of e-bay but maybe its just the quality of mine

Hi Scott

I feel I may have the same issues with these ones also soon as the anti theft screws are just mild steel looking grub screws so I expect they will rust and if they do I will remove them and use the caps without them. I had aluminum caps before and they were a pain as they kept corroding on and I needed pliers etc. to free them off.

In the pictures the caps had only been on a couple of days or so and that’s why the locking screws have not rusted yet. A mate gave me them so I presume they will be off the eBay or similar too.

Cheers Paul

thanks for that paul, yeah i noticed merely days after, it has calmed down a bit but i guess they are prob all like that, no doubt as soon as we take them off some bugger will be off with them.
your brake disks look awesome by the way, really suit the pirelli wheels,,, would love a set of those next time i need disks,,, where did you get them from if you dont mind me asking and will they last as long or be as good / or better than the standard vw disks
cheers buddy  :happy2:

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 01:47:19 pm »

Stock      B=? T=? F=?   

Cheers Paul

Hi Scott

Cheers Paul

thanks for that paul, yeah i noticed merely days after, it has calmed down a bit but i guess they are prob all like that, no doubt as soon as we take them off some bugger will be off with them.
your brake disks look awesome by the way, really suit the pirelli wheels,,, would love a set of those next time i need disks,,, where did you get them from if you dont mind me asking and will they last as long or be as good / or better than the standard vw disks
cheers buddy  :happy2:

Hi Scott

Yeah no doubt the valve caps will be a target for the theives if the locking screws are removed LOL.

I got the brakes from VagTech who do the work on my car. I understand a few places can supply them including the link below.

http://www.ppcgb.com/Volkswagen/Golf-MK5-2004-08/Brembo-Brake-Kits/pt66_206_-cma582-cmo1495/

They work a lot better than the standard set up as bigger in diameter and width and also 2 peice discs so lighter and less prone to warping etc. also the calipers are dual piston compared to single piston on the old set up.

I have no idea how long they will last mate as just fitted them but hopefully will get a good few thousand miles out of them.

Cheers Paul

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2012, 05:57:38 am »
Hi All

Just a small update this time from my recent trip to the UK as follows:

1)   Revo stage 2 software was updated to the new version with the linier throttle control, Unfortunately I have no comments on it at this time as the weather was bad and the road conditions were not so good so I kept it pretty much on the standard default setting but also had the adjustments made to the SPS by Vagtech as follows:

Current switch settings   Boost         Timing         Fuel                  

Performance A          4 (Boost)      4 (Timing)      5 (AFR)
         (Mild)

Performance B          6 (Boost)      6 (Timing)      7 (AFR)
   (Medium)

Performance C          9 (Boost)      5 (Timing)      7 (AFR)
   (Aggressive)

2)   Vibra-Technics VAG455B - Torque link (Dog bone) bush, small end
3)   Vibra-Technics VAG520M - Torque Link Chassis bush
4)   Vibra-Technics VAG500M - LH Gearbox mount
5)   Vibra-Technics VAG510M - RH Engine Mount
6)   Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment
7)   VW MK6 GTI LED Number Plate Lights
8)   Adapter leads for the LED number plate lights so that the bulb out warning does not display
9)   Wheels stripped and blasted and powder coated in a darker colour so that they don’t show up the brake dust and dirt so much and also new Pirelli centre caps were also fitted.
10)   Jet washed the underside of the car to get all the road grime off it and washed and hovered it and packed it away in the garage
11)   Made a boot template for Luis (AKA Squeeguk) so that he can start reviewing the future audio install boot build

Some pictures below:

P.S. My 18 year old son and me also spent a day with Luis (AKA Squeeguk) getting a nice Alpine double din head unit fitted and also Hertz speakers fitted in the front and rear of his Corsa D. What a difference this made to the sound quality etc. and my lad was so happy with it. I was surprised how much work was involved, don’t anybody think it’s a few hours work, door panels had to come off and be modified internally to fit the crossovers, rear seats had to come out to get the rear side panels out to install the rear speakers, the A pillar cap and the glove box consol had to come out to run the microphone for the phone and also this had to be routed through the headlining and be placed behind the factory microphone location and all in all a good 9 hours or so were needed to do everything properly. Also anybody wanting car audio fitted don’t hesitate to go and see Luis I could not recommend him more, a top guy who is a perfectionist and very knowledgeable in his line of work and to top the day off nicely he even treated my lad and me to a dinner with his wife and son before we headed back home.

I am in communication with Luis now on a high end audio install for my Pirelli which should get installed hopefully early next year and is something I am very much looking forward too.

A picture below of the head unit in my sons Corsa:

Cheers Paul
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:11:52 am by Pirelli Paul »

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 09:35:26 am »
Hey Paul

Thanks very much for the kinds words, couldn't have done it without the two of you to be honest. Was a pleasure meeting you and Cory and discussing what to do with the Pirelli. All I can say on that score is, what an amazing car you've got there and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Your system is going to sound and look awesome, especially with your choice of components.

See you soon.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
Cheers Luis

Catch up with you soon, have a good holiday mate.

Cheers Paul

scottm72

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 12:14:34 am »
hi paul, your car continues to amaze me, such an amount of work you have done to it.
your alloys look amazing btw, very very nice.
I spoke to you a while back about the little anti theft screws on the valve caps, I decided to take mine off as they where rusting badly, the actual valve caps where ok but stated to get rust stains on them from the screws so a gave them a good wash and just put them back on without the screws, are fine now.
 :happy2:

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 04:54:06 am »
Thanks for the kind words Scott

I went down the same route mate. I removed the grub screws and they are fine  :happy2:.

Cheers Paul

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Paul,

Love what you've done with this   :happy2:

A set of lowering springs would really finish it off (looks & performance wise  :party:)

Graeme
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Graeme

Fully agree mate, she would look good sitting a litlle lower, I have the Bilstien PSS10 adjustable coilover kit installed and its been set about mid way for height so a little lower than normal but I still can drop her another 20mm or so more on the spring adjustments. Maybe will give it a go but will need to bring her down gradually so I can still get over the speed bumps.

Cheers Paul

Offline Nick78

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »
Stunning Pirelli  :happy2:

Offline Pirelli Paul

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 11:24:25 am »
Hi All

It's been a while so I thought I would give an update to the list of works carried out along with some pictures at the end. I have been back in the UK a few times since the last write up getting works done but hadn't got round to updating the thread for a while. Hopefully the car will be on VagTech's stand at GTI international in early July if I can get back to the UK for that weekend. So if I do get back feel free to come and take a look at the car and say Hi.

General/Cosmetic Changes Completed

1.   Cruise Control
2.   ECS Billet Aluminum Climatronic Rings Mk5
3.   Pivot XV Boost/Water/Oil Gauge 
4.   Safety Kit
5.   Chrome Switch Full Set
6.   Ignition Key Bezel
7.   Aluminum Look Glove Box Handle
8.   Volkswagen Motorsport Emblem
9.   3M Di-noc Carbon Fiber for rear VW emblem
10.   VW Badge Emblem - Piano Black for Golf V GTI Front Grille
11.   Neuspeed 2.0T Carbon Fiber Half Engine Cover
12.   Porsche Oil + Water Caps
13.   Audi Jacking Point Bungs
14.   Change wheel color with powder coating after striping and blasting
15.   Skoda Fabia Gas Struts                   
16.   Scirocco (Sprung) Pump stops         
17.   Seat Leon Ball pins                           
18.   Full detail & machine polish
19.   Car cover
20.   GTI Keychain 2011
21.   GTI Valve caps
22.   New Wheel Bolt Covers
23.   New Pirelli Centre Caps
24.   Pirelli GTI Wheel Spare Wheel (In matching colour with Pirelli centre cap and GTI valve cap) With Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Tire
25.   Pirelli GTI Mats
26.   Pirelli 1 of 222 plaque
27.   OSIR - Mono vent pod
28.   OSIR - Boot GT - Black Stitching
29.   OSIR - SPM GT - Manual - Gloss Carbon
30.   OSIR - O-Rest GT
31.   OSIR - Orbit Illuminated Gear Knob (Stainless)

Lighting Changes Completed

1.   Osram Night-breaker PLUS  Main & High Beam Lights
2.   LED MK6 GTI Number Plate Lights
3.   LED Daytime Running Lights
4.   LED Interior Lighting Kit
5.   LED Reverse light
6.   LED Parking Lights
7.   LED Rear/Braking Lights
8.   LED Door Warning Lights

Braking Changes Completed

1.   Tarrox Sport Japan Drilled & Slotted Rear Brake Discs
2.   EBC Yellow Stuff Rear Brake Pads
3.   Neuspeed Stainless Steel Brake Lines on rear
4.   Front Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit - 4 Piston Kit with 328mm x 28mm 2-Piece Drilled Discs & Stainless Steel Brake Lines
5.   ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid Change

Handling Changes Completed

1.   Bilstien PSS10 kit
2.   ECS Sub-frame Spacer Plates Kit
3.   4 Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Tires Size 225 40 18 92Y
4.   42 Draft VW Shifter Bushing Kit
5.   Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment
6.   Whiteline anti lift kit
7.   Whiteline bump - steer adjust kit
8.   Whiteline Front Sway bar - link assembly heavy duty adjustable steel ball
9.   Whiteline Heavy Duty Steering Rack Bushing
10.   Vibra-Technics VAG455B - Torque link (Dog bone) bush, small end
11.   Vibra-Technics VAG520M - Torque Link Chassis Bush
12.   Vibra-Technics VAG500M - LH Gearbox mount
13.   Vibra-Technics VAG510M - RH Engine Mount
14.   Neuspeed triangulated upper rear strut brace
15.   Neuspeed Short Shift Kit
16.   Neuspeed front anti roll bar 25mm
17.   Neuspeed rear anti roll bar 25mm
18.   Neuspeed rear sway bar links
19.   Neuspeed rear 25mm Sway Bar Clamp/Bushing Kit w/Grease Fitting
20.   Powerflex Front Wishbone Bush
21.   Powerflex Rear Tie Bar to Chassis Front Bush
22.   Powerflex Rear Lower Spring Mount Outer
23.   Powerflex Rear Lower Spring Mount Inner
24.   Powerflex Rear Lower Link Outer Bush
25.   Powerflex Rear Lower Link Inner Bush
26.   Powerflex Rear Upper Link Outer Bush
27.   Powerflex Rear Upper Link Inner Bush

Performance Changes Completed

1.   ITG Maxogen Induction Kit
2.   Sachs up rated clutch flywheel kit inc single mass flywheel (400 BHP +)
3.   Neuspeed 2.0T K04 Hi-Flow Turbo Discharge Kit
4.   Milltek Large Bore Downpipe and Hi-Flow Sports Cat
5.   Milltek None Resonated Cat-Back Exhaust System
6.   ECS Tuning Billet Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Kit
7.   ECS Magnetic Drain Plug
8.   Volkswagen Clutch release bearing
9.   Volkswagen Differential Bearing Kit
10.   Wavetrac LSD differential
11.   Wavetrac LSD bolt fitting kit
12.   Revo stage 2
13.   Revo serial port switch (SPS)
14.   Revo Integrated Throttle Pipe
15.   Forge oil catch tank system
16.   Forge Blow Off Valve kit
17.   Forge Charcoal Canister Cover
18.   Forge valve spring kit
19.   Forge Silicone Hose For The Carbon Filter
20.   Forge Silicone Hose For DV to Intake return
21.   Forge Silicone Hose For Throttle body 
22.   Forge Alloy Radiator
23.   Forge Hose Clamp set
24.   Forge Silicone Coolant Hose Kit
25.   Forge Alloy Intercooler

Audio Changes Completed

1.   Skinz Door Sound Deadening Kit - Bulk (27 sheets)
2.   2 x 250mm x 250mm Pads Wave Diffuser
3.   Speaker Adaptors Auto Leads SAK3108 VW
4.   A Pillars construction
5.   CD changer replacement part
6.   Hertz Mille MLK 3PA 3 way speaker system
7.   Hertz Mille MLK 2TW 2 way speaker system
8.   Audison Voce 5.1 = 5 Channel Power Amplifier
9.   Audison Voce Quattro = 4 Channel Power Amplifier
10.   Alpine INE-W928R Navigation with 8" Screen
11.   Alpine KIT-8VWD for fitting Alpine INE-W928R
12.   Alpine KCU-461iV to connect your iPod or iPhone to INE-W928R
13.   BEST PF 2BK POWERFLOW POWER CABLE (Black Earth) 1 Meter
14.   BEST PF 2R POWERFLOW POWER CABLE (Red Power) 1 Meter
15.   BEST PF 4BK POWERFLOW POWER CABLE (Black Earth) 5 Meters
16.   BEST PF 4R POWERFLOW POWER CABLE (Red Power) 3.5 Meters
17.   BEST BFD 21 FUSED DISTRIBUTION BLOCK TWO WAY
18.   BEST 2 x CAPACITOR’S 1.3 FARAD
19.   SONUS ST2 550 STEREO RCA CABLE 550cm 3 Sets
20.   SONUS MP 1/0BL MAIN POWER CABLE (Blue Power) 7 Meters
21.   SONUS MP 1/0S MAIN POWER CABLE (Silver Earth) 3.5 Meters
22.   SONUS S 210 SONUS SPEAKER CABLE
23.   SONUS SFH 11WP FUSE HOLDER WATER PROOF
24.   SONUS SFD 41C FUSE, GROUND & DISTRIBUTION BLOCK FOUR WAY
25.   SONUS SYB 210B Y-BOOT (72pcs)
26.   SONUS SBC 41P POSITIVE BATTERY CLAMP
27.   SONUS SBC 41N NEGATIVE BATTERY CLAMP
28.   SONUS SGT 11 GROUND TERMINAL 1/0AWG (2pcs)
29.   SONUS SMC 01B16 MAIN CRIMP D 10,5mm BULK (16pcs)
30.   SONUS SMC 02B20 MAIN CRIMP D 8,5mm BULK (20pcs)
31.   SONUS SMC 10B50 MAIN CRIMP D 3,5mm BULK (50pcs)

Service Related Completed by VagTech (Car has done 19,100 and has had 3 services by VW and 3 by VagTech)

1.   Pollen filter (@ 13,500, 16,750 miles & 18,250 miles)
2.   ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid Change (@ 14,500 miles when rear Tarrox fitted & 17,250 miles when front Brembo’s fitted)
3.   NGK IRIDIUM IX spark plugs - BKR8EIX (@ 16,750 miles)
4.   OEM cam follower for the high pressure fuel pump (@ 16,750 miles)
5.   Gear box oil change (@ 16,750 miles & 18,250 miles)
6.   Air-conditioning service (@ 16,750 miles)
7.   Timing belt and water pump change (@ 17,250 miles)
8.   Coolant change (@ 17,250 miles)
9.   Clutch Bleed with ATE Super Blue Fluid (@ 18,250 miles)
10.   Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment (@18,250 miles)
11.   Denzo iridium Spark plugs VK20Y (@18,250 miles)
12.   Oil filter (@18,250 miles)
13.   Castrol edge sport 10w-60 4 L (@18,250 miles)
14.   Gear box oil (@18,250 miles)

Works Arranged & Paid For

1.   New MK6 GTI Flat Bottom MFSW & Airbag
2.   Alcantara & Perforated Leather Covering For The Wheel With Yellow Stitching
3.   CH Control Unit
4.   GTI Steering Wheel Emblem
5.   Version G Cruise Control Stalk
6.   MK6 Climatic Control Panel

Works Left To Complete

1.   Alpine Visual Interface Module To Work With MK6 Climatic Control Panel
2.   Roller Cam Follower Conversion
3.   APR Fuel Pump
4.   Okada PD4002106R Coil Over Plugs
5.   USP Up rated In tank Fuel Pump
6.   Revo stage 2+

Some of the audio gear

Limited slip diff

Forge radiator & inter-cooler

More bushes

3 stage machine polish & detailing (By Andy @ www.unique-detail.co.uk) The finish blew me away (He must be one of the best in the business)

Audio by our very own SQUEEGUK (AKA Luis) What can I say about his work other than 100%

Custom cover made for it to keep the dust off it when it sits in the garage when I am back in Hong Kong

Thanks for taking time to look at it. and a huge thanks to Andy for the detailing, Luis for the audio works and Jon and his team (Ben & Victoria) at VagTech for all the servicing and mechanical and handling works etc.

Cheers Paul :happy2:

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 05:43:02 pm »
Very nice

Any link for where you got the cover from please?

Simon
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr