Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 1885 times)

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Spark Plugs
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
I have read a couple of the forums about spark plugs on the GTI but they seem to be a bit too advanced for the situation I find myself in.

Being in Australia means that we get ripped-off big time for anything associated with a European vehicle......as I was recently reminded regarding plugs for my Golf GTI Mk 5.

I have done 40K km and it is due a new et of plugs. The dealer has told me they will be $250 each.

OK...so they are 'special' plugs...I will take his word on that. They would want to be I thought!

So...my question is.....what exactly are they? In other words, can someone tell me what has been fitted (from factory) so that I can source a set myself?

I am sure I could get some for a whole heap less. HOWEVER......I would want to get the EXACT ones that they car requires.

Also...how do I know that when I hand the little blighters over to someone to fit that they have indeed fitted the actual plugs I supply? After all, I wouldn't want to supply 4 plugs to someone who pockets them and fits something different in to my car which are not as good as the ones I supplied.

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »
Is your car remapped or standard?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »

What is the name / part number / description of the plugs they are quoting you for?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:33:24 pm »
If you are not modified then get some NGK PFR7S8EG plugs as VW are now supplying  these as standard even though the VW ones say VW on them. Previously Bosh plugs came as standard.
These certainly won't cost you $250 each.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
Is your car remapped or standard?

My car is standard.

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:43:08 pm »

What is the name / part number / description of the plugs they are quoting you for?

They havent told me anything more than...."You're car is due a new set of plugs on you're upcoming service."

OK...so I asked them..."Since you make such a specific point about this, are these plugs going to cost me much?"

The response I got was...."You're car is a GTI and it has special plugs. They are $250 each."

He did in fact state what they were in that response but I have since forgotten as I have spent the past 4 days trying to get the marrow removed from the entrance of my arse before he gets his chance to push it in!

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »
If you are not modified then get some NGK PFR7S8EG plugs as VW are now supplying  these as standard even though the VW ones say VW on them. Previously Bosh plugs came as standard.

OK so I go and purchase a set of these plugs.

How do I know that they have been fitted when I get my car back?

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »
You won't know. Trust people-the majority are good and decent.

DIY is the only absolute way to be sure. Or take one out when you get the car back, in which case you may as well DIY.
'07 Red manual

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »
You won't know. Trust people-the majority are good and decent.

DIY is the only absolute way to be sure. Or take one out when you get the car back, in which case you may as well DIY.

Well yeah. I wanted to avoid touching anything to be honest. I'm likely to ham it up.

Offline londonboyperth

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:05:37 pm »

I have had a look online at those plugs quoted.

I'm going to have to go back to the guy and ask him what the $250 is for.....they will cost me somewhere around $40 each including delivery.

Cheers for that.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

Have a search for 'the green spark plug company' on ebay (perhaps have to search ebay.co.uk), Ive found them very good at cheap.

Not sure what they would charge for postage