Make a donation

Author Topic: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF? Now no turbo!?  (Read 8929 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Re: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »
It just seems a bit lumpy. doesnt seem to actually rev itself.

What pcv do you have?

a brand new OEM one as of 4 weeks ago.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »
Have you observed if there are any differences in engine revs and lumpyness if you partially pull out the dip stick?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 11:09:37 pm »
Have you observed if there are any differences in engine revs and lumpyness if you partially pull out the dip stick?

i'll check tomorrow. It should almost stall when you remove the dipstick shouldnt it
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 11:13:14 pm »

just checked.

removed the dipstick and it changes a bit and you can hear a hissing noise. Doesnt want to stall as much as it used to when i did this test though.

I tried opening the oil filler and it started spluttering more than with the dipstick out.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »
Disconnect the MAF and see what it does. It will throw a light on the dash and generate a fault code but if the car drives normally (and it should) then it's your MAF.  :happy2:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »
Disconnect the MAF and see what it does. It will throw a light on the dash and generate a fault code but if the car drives normally (and it should) then it's your MAF.  :happy2:

dont get this theory?

So the car should run without the MAF connected? and if it runs fine with no MAF.. then the MAF is faulty?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:08 am »
Disconnect the MAF and see what it does. It will throw a light on the dash and generate a fault code but if the car drives normally (and it should) then it's your MAF.  :happy2:

dont get this theory?

So the car should run without the MAF connected? and if it runs fine with no MAF.. then the MAF is faulty?

Yes.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 12:07:00 am »
Disconnect the MAF and see what it does. It will throw a light on the dash and generate a fault code but if the car drives normally (and it should) then it's your MAF.  :happy2:

dont get this theory?

Yes.

The obvious next questions then is... why does it need a MAF if it will run fine without one?

I probably wont have chance to test this tomorrow but maybe sunday.

how far should i drive with it disconnected?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 09:05:30 am »
Cleaning the MAF seems to have made no difference to MPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 11:00:52 am »
Lumpy idle? I don't think it is the maf personally. Could be a number of things bad fuel, map ect.... I have had the odd bad fuel days but week after its normal again I put it down to weather or fuel.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ji46q1fkj1fg755nundc0b1od7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56:20 am »
It just seems a bit lumpy. doesnt seem to actually rev itself.

What pcv do you have?

a brand new OEM one as of 4 weeks ago.

Which revision? Im sure i heard that some revisions cause engine running problems?

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
I always run v power fuel.

Not sure which Pcv. Rtech fitted it when I was there last.

When driving the car actually feels brilliant. Very powerful. Just mpg is rubbish and when warm it seems lumpy on idle. Didn't notice it when it was cold though.

Map was fine before I started messing with intakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 07:59:29 pm »
Agh.... so coming home tonight all was going well.. I was cruising along steady at 80mph all the way and was into the 30sMPG... went to put my foot down in 6th.......NOTHING

Felt like a 1.6 fiesta... no power.. no turbo...

No warning lights and everything sounded ok (ie no boost leaks etc)

Its happened one time before about 6 months ago before Id ever messed about with intakes.. I pulled over and turned the car off and on and the problem went away.

This time I turned off and on and it was still the same.. like its in limp mode but without any warning lights.

So I carried on driving as I was almost home.. then after 5 mins I put my foot down again and its back to normal and stays normal all the way home!?!?

WTF?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
Re: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF? Now no turbo!?
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »
The obvious next questions then is... why does it need a MAF if it will run fine without one?

Sounds like your problems are multiplying but to answer your question it's probably so you have belt and braces although it's easier to measure what's coming in the front of the engine at the front in the air intake.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
Re: My cars still running lumpy and low MPG - damaged MAF? Now no turbo!?
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 08:21:36 pm »

Sounds like your problems are multiplying but to answer your question it's probably so you have belt and braces although it's easier to measure what's coming in the front of the engine at the front in the air intake.

Tell me about it!! Getting a bit fed up with it now so Im going to go out drinking lol

Spend hours upon hours looking at this forum and then hundreds and thousands of pounds buying bits and then more hours fitting them and then it doesnt run properly!!!

Stupid thing!  :signLOL: