Make a donation

Author Topic: 18's ... benefits & drawbacks?  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
18's ... benefits & drawbacks?
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:48 am »
Hi again,

In my quest to find out as much I can about GTI's before I splash out, here's another question for you.

18" wheels - apart from looking great are there any other benefits from having them? i.e. handling?

Also, what about drawbacks, do they really ruin the ride quality like some suggest? I've only driven one with 17's so far.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers  :smiley:

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: 18's ... benefits & drawbacks?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:04:50 am »
there have been thread on this in the past,

The 18's are apparently worse for handling and comfort.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:10:20 am »
Its not just about the size it depends on weight aswell.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:22 am »
17's are supposed to be more comfortable as long as you don't go less than a 45% tire height. I've only run 18's - and now have 18 x 8, w/225/40's. My wheels are 19 lbs where the oem 18 x 7.5 Detroits were near 29 lbs.. I've upgraded the suspension as well so I expect the ride to be a bit stiffer than oem and it is. But handling is great as is.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:29:30 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:21:34 am »
Depends what you wish to do with the suspension and where your regular routes are. I have found that i struggle locally to me with ground clearance on 18's - as car is quite low, so i have 19's.

The main benefit you will see from 18's is the turn into corners, with less tyre sidewall to flex the response will be sharper and more positive, but equally will wear the shoulder of the tyre faster.
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:50:11 am »
I was really only wondering about the choice between 17" and 18" Monzas on the stock setup.

Do they actually improve the handling as well as looking great? And how much does it affect the ride quality?

Cheers  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:36:47 am »
My Mk5 GTI was originally supplied with OEM Monza 17's and I later swopped to Monza 18's. I expected the ride to be less comfortable but any difference was insignificant - That was done before I had any suspension mods.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:19 am »

The main benefit you will see from 18's is the turn into corners, with less tyre sidewall to flex the response will be sharper and more positive, but equally will wear the shoulder of the tyre faster.

I bought my car with 18's on, I can honestly say it corners fantastically. It also looks better (IMO), makes the car look just that bit more asthetically pleasing. 

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:35 pm »
i changed from 17's to 18's - cant really feel any massive difference - def recommend a car with 18's over the 17's - they look way better in my opinion!

Offline Guy Incognito

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »
Goes quicker on 17's as an EVO tyre test from a few years ago confirmed. :smiley:

Offline Xizor

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »
Thanks for all the interesting comments.

I love the look of the 18s and pleased to hear there isn't much difference with the ride quality. The way some journo's talk you would be led to believe it's like chalk & cheese. Take a read of this from the Ed 30 review on carkeys.co.uk:

Regular readers will be familiar with this argument to the point of stupefaction, but here goes anyway. The single worst thing about the Edition 30 is that those unique 18" alloy wheels are fitted with low profile 40 section tyres. I suspect that this is a marketing ploy which was not enthusiastically received by the chassis engineers, since the rubber clashes horribly with the relatively soft suspension (a little too soft in extreme circumstances, but nicely judged apart from that). There should be - but isn't - a smaller wheel, taller tyre option for customers who rate driving experience higher than bling quotient.

Much as I'd like to change the world by spreading the true faith about this sort of thing, I might as well try to quell a hurricane by spitting at it.

Anyway, hopefully will be test driving a GTi tomorrow with 18s, so I'll see for myself.

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »
Regular readers will be familiar with this argument to the point of stupefaction, but here goes anyway. The single worst thing about the Edition 30 is that those unique 18" alloy wheels are fitted with low profile 40 section tyres. I suspect that this is a marketing ploy which was not enthusiastically received by the chassis engineers, since the rubber clashes horribly with the relatively soft suspension (a little too soft in extreme circumstances, but nicely judged apart from that). There should be - but isn't - a smaller wheel, taller tyre option for customers who rate driving experience higher than bling quotient.

Much as I'd like to change the world by spreading the true faith about this sort of thing, I might as well try to quell a hurricane by spitting at it.

Journalistic boll*x.....obviously he knows the 'chassis engineers' well......one mans opinion and obviously a tainted one at that.......maybe he likes Toyota's...... :fighting:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:24 pm »
I've always said that steering feel and feedback is better with 17s. There is a directness you don't seem to get with 18s.

That said I choose to run 18s for aesthetic reasons. It's terribly vain.

Offline vag12

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 03:05:28 am »
I have 19's and considering dropping back to 18's due to many factors such as handling, ride quality, tyre prices, rubbing etc

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 09:03:50 am »
Having had both the 17'' & 18'' alloys as above no real difference in ride.18'' all the way,look much better.
ED35. Standard factory condition.