Make a donation

Author Topic: New owner needs a more rockus sound  (Read 1331 times)

Offline marcnazer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New owner needs a more rockus sound
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »
Hello!
I picked up my first ever GTI over the weekend and im loving it!
MK5 2006 GTI DSG 3door, will upload pics once ive given her a much needed polish.
Now I know ive not given it too much chance but I think im finding the car (although useful at times) a little too refind in the noise department.
Im interested to know my options here..the obvious ones are an induction kit and/or exhaust system...although i dont want to sound too much like a boy racer coming down the road. Just enhance the sound of the GTI and the little pops and bangs of the DSG.
Any suggestions to what I should do? And if i should fit and induction or exhaust, which are the ones to go for?

Thanks,
Marc  :happy2:

Offline JagGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: New owner needs a more rockus sound
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »
Hi pal,

I wanted a bit more noise from my GTI and went with a catback exhaust, probaly not much difference performance wise but sounds a lot better and gruntier.
Got lucky and brought it pretty cheap on the classifieds on here. Put something on the wanted section, you never know what someone might have.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »
Induction kit wise, the Neuspeed P-Flo is meant to be quite noisy, but doesn't give much in the way of gains.

i think the best for both is the ITG (but it's quite pricey and now that they are only exclusively available through VW Racing i'd imagine there's gonna be a VWR tax added)

exhaust wise I can recommend the BlueFlame exhaust. i've got a full TBE with a suitcase exhaust delete (but a resonated centre) and i think it's brilliant. maybe the tiniest boomy between 3000-4000rpm under load but otherwise perfect and totally silent when cruising. i've heard it on driveby and it's brilliant as well.

other options are :

BCS
Pipewerx
Jetex
Milltek

i'm sure there's a whole host more, just depends on location/price etc.

if you're on a budget i'd imagine you can get a custom exhaust maker to make you a centre section to delete your middle silencer without changing the rest of the exhaust. probably the cheapest way of getting a little more noise
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »
bcs or pipewerx gets my vote ( I have pipewerx) but have also been down to see Nige at BCS.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline marcnazer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 01:09:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions but as I am on a budget at the moment I think for now I will visit my local custom exhaust place and get them to remove my centre box as hopefully this will give me a bit more volume but also mean I wont have to inform the insurance company as im not adding a performance exhaust I guess?!
Then in time I can do it properly.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions but as I am on a budget at the moment I think for now I will visit my local custom exhaust place and get them to remove my centre box as hopefully this will give me a bit more volume but also mean I wont have to inform the insurance company as im not adding a performance exhaust I guess?!
Then in time I can do it properly.

You still need to inform them of a modification, if you dont they will for sure, pull your pants down and insert, should you be involved in a claim.  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:18:25 pm »
Do tell your Insurance company, it's a modification and will invalidate your policy. Tell them everything, right down to what stickers you have on the car.

As to a bit more noise. As above, if your on a budget then Cat back or full TBE from BSC with their power valve gets my vote plus an ITG Maxogen induction Kit. I had the ITG (many on the forum have) but I found it a little too "in your face" so sholud help with the "whoosh dissssh" a bit.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~