Make a donation

Author Topic: Newby GTI owner  (Read 993 times)

Offline daisydave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Newby GTI owner
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:09:16 pm »
Hi Guys

Just about to get myself a MKv GTI DSG and after hours of searching need to know if the gearbox issues have now been sorted as the posts I can find are from 2009 ish or are there still issues out there?

The car is an 05 please with 90k but has full VW service history, is this wise or not?

Cheers David

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Re: Newby GTI owner
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

There have been some issues with DSG and they appear to have been mechatronics on a certain model year more than any other. I think its 2007 or 2008 models but I could be wrong. Mine's a 2005 with 68k and its been great so far. I don't think mileage has been the issue. If its got FVWSH I imagine it would have had two DSG services in the book at 90k. Red Robins one has done more than that and I don't think his has had issues in that dept.

At the end of the day, I tend to take the view that any modern performance car will at some point have an issue and an expensive repair if you keep it long term. If it wasn't DSG, it'd be something else. Part and parcel of owning something nice. Otherwise we'd all be in Micras............... :sick:
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!

Offline daisydave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »
cheers

Yeah i agree if it was manual it would be on it 2nd or 3rd clutch by now.  It was just when you search DSG problems (mechatronic) they mainly seem to be from 3 or 4 years back and wasn't sure if VW had bottomed them out?

Dave

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:41:52 pm »
Probably have with the Mk6 GTI as they are constantly refining the design I'm sure. Considering the amount of DSG cars sold, I think issues are relatively rare otherwise a recall would have been necessary. I believe the only change to the DSG box in the Mk5 GTI was a 'slight' change in its map. Others on here will know much more about that than me!
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!