Make a donation

Author Topic: twintake with foam cone filters replacing the carbon canisters?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: twintake with foam cone filters replacing the carbon canisters?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 08:43:42 pm »

Might even buy 2 new canisters as not that expensive from Forge  :smiley:

Why?
The cannisters are easy to open up revealing the filters that can be cleaned by immersing them in soapy water then rinsed and dried.

....@ Lee:
It sounds from your posts that your filter cannisters were originally fitted with the wrong air flow orientation?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
Might even buy 2 new canisters as not that expensive from Forge  :smiley:

Why?
The cannisters are easy to open up revealing the filters that can be cleaned by immersing them in soapy water then rinsed and dried.

Ah ok might give that a go too then! Hopefully do the swap next week so will see what state they're in. Thanks for the tips tho  :happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 08:51:38 pm »

....@ Lee:
It sounds from your posts that your filter cannisters were originally fitted with the wrong air flow orientation?

Fitted by Forge themselves Robin....so bit unlikely !

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:50 pm »

....@ Lee:

Fitted by Forge themselves Robin....so bit unlikely !

....Actually, not unlikely at all. In fact, if amongst the first ones produced it's very possible that they have been fitted the wrong way around. If you read my review thread you'll see that Forge UK and Forge USA had a disagreement about filter orientation and in fact it was my influence which sorted them out.

I would check the orientation and ask Forge to replace them if orientated wrongly. I'm confident they would be helpful.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:58:52 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »
Would hope they would have looked and checked before fitting them! But what makes you think they might be fitted wrong anyway ??

Only want to swap them cos I've not touched them since fitting in Nov 2010 / 20k miles!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 09:59:40 pm »

Would hope they would have looked and checked before fitting them! But what makes you think they might be fitted wrong anyway ??

Only want to swap them cos I've not touched them since fitting in Nov 2010 / 20k miles!

....Please read my review - It's all explained there in detail. When the Twintake was first publicly launched worldwide, Forge UK used the Forge USA installation instructiuons PDF. The filter orientation, based on the moulded arrows on the cannister ends, was ambiguously open to different interpretation. I questioned it and kept on at them and a bit of an internal trans Atlantic argument ensued before it was settled. As I said earlier in this thread, it depends when Forge UK fitted yours, Lee.

As it's now well known that the front filter collects far more debris than the side filter, it's a good idea to swop them occasionally as good maintenance. < I should add this tip to my review.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
Robin.....

I take back what I said about them being "unlikely" to be fitted wrong way round....cos they are!  :fighting: :stupid:

Took the 2 canisters off just now to have a look and switch round. As soon as I got them off I thought hmmm.

Think I will just order 2 new cans now. Easy to remove tho. Side one has no crap so didn't take filter out, but front one looks bit worse for wear.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:12:13 am »
Lee....

Ask Forge to supply you 2 new filters free of charge - It's their fault that they originally instructed the wrong orientation. John Withers is a helpful person to speak to.

Is their any sign of rust/corrosion on the metal gauze?

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 09:21:47 am »
There is on the front filter....