Make a donation

Author Topic: how can I cancel the service indicator?  (Read 3193 times)

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
how can I cancel the service indicator?
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:09:38 am »
looked on google for this, but could not find it, nor on the search function here or on golfgtiforum,
THe car was serviced by the garage where I bought it only last month, but they are not a VW approved place so could not cancel the service indicator when you turn the ignition key, and there local vw garage apparently wanted £30 to reset it, Is there any way us mere mortals can do it please?
Thanks

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: how can I cancel the service indicator?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:12:19 am »
My mate is a VW Technician, soon as I see him I shall ask...maybe a few days yet.

Edit: from WikiAnswers

When the car is off, hold the reset button on the right side of the dash (0.0). Then turn the key on (not the engine) and once the service now words come out on the display press the minute(m) button on the right. That should turn the service now off.

From Golfmkv.com

1. Keys out of ignition- press and hold in trip odometer reset button "0.0" on right hand side of display
2. Still holding this button down, insert key into ignition and put to the on position without starting the car.
3. Display will read "service now"
4. let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button on the left hand side of the display. this will re-set the service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "service now" will disappear.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:17:53 am by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 08:00:21 am »
It does tell you in your manual too (page 11 on mine)

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 09:51:12 am »
thanks guys, Google and the search buttons are obviously not my friends. :P

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:39:32 am »
However, if your car is on Variable servicing then it will reset you to fixed intervals.  The correct way to do it is via a diagnostic tool such as VCDS.

Did your man put the correct oil in the car?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Steve82

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »
My mate is a VW Technician, soon as I see him I shall ask...maybe a few days yet.

Edit: from WikiAnswers

When the car is off, hold the reset button on the right side of the dash (0.0). Then turn the key on (not the engine) and once the service now words come out on the display press the minute(m) button on the right. That should turn the service now off.

From Golfmkv.com

1. Keys out of ignition- press and hold in trip odometer reset button "0.0" on right hand side of display
2. Still holding this button down, insert key into ignition and put to the on position without starting the car.
3. Display will read "service now"
4. let go of the "0.0" button and depress the "m" button on the left hand side of the display. this will re-set the service reminder. There is no confirmation on the display other than the words "service now" will disappear.

Thanks Edtion 30,

Need to reset mine too.

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline big al

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »
cheers for that, all gone now.