Make a donation

Author Topic: REVO new CAI  (Read 3944 times)

justsean

REVO new CAI
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:59 am »
Anyone tried one yet? I've been quoted £237 + VAT fitted with tweaks to my remap to take advantage of it (along with the new revo revision)...much the same as ITG intake but wondering how it compares!
Good timing for the REVO shop to be down but hopefully someone has got it already and can shed some light!

Cheers,
Sean
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:22:25 am by justsean »

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: REVO new CAI
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
if it's a rebranded BSH True Seal avoid like the plague
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7cajcdb4j4stej8v4atfau9sfd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:06:45 am »
Are you stage 1?

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:09:23 am »

Is it really that bad?
If so why?

justsean

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 11:14:36 am »
Are you stage 1?
yeh stage 1 currently!

From what I was told they are very similar to the ITG intakes - only been out about 2 weeks! Some decent reviews of them on the audi forums but wanted to get some opinions from the VW community...

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 11:15:22 am »

Is it really that bad?
If so why?

i had to get vRSAlex to extensively modify mine to fit properly. including the initial purchase price i've paid considerably more for it than i would have done for an ITG or a TwinTake (tho i still wouldn't have a TwinTake for various reasons)

it's also only secured at the turbo housing, so it moves around when the engine moves under load and as a result it was rubbing on it's heat shield and wearing a hole in the intake. this was then starting to rust

also it doesn't have any proven gains

in terms of looks, i think it looks the best and if i had a LHD car i'd go for a BSH True Seal without a doubt

but it has not been made with any consideration to RHD vehicles, and BSH's customer service is non-existent. when i contacted them about the problems i was having, they said that the kit was not intended for A3s so it was my fault (despite being listed for A3s on their website). when i pointed this out to them they said they'd get in touch with dubtek (their UK supplier) but did nothing at all. so in the end i shelled out  to basically have an AKS Tuning custom intake (which i don't mind at all and i love) but i would not go through the process again.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

h4rdy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:03 am »
Any links to the reviews?

Good info on truseal.

J

Are you stage 1?
yeh stage 1 currently!

From what I was told they are very similar to the ITG intakes - only been out about 2 weeks! Some decent reviews of them on the audi forums but wanted to get some opinions from the VW community...

justsean

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »
Any links to the reviews?

Good info on truseal.

J

hmmmmmm why are forum searches so sh*t! cant find it now was on the vagoc.co.uk website...

Offline JamesG

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:36:41 pm »
I have one fitted. The guy from Revo i spoke to said they were seeing similar gains to the itg but then again that could be sales crap.

Got it at inters along with my map. But don't have anything to compare it to as was standard before.

It's fixed at the silicon hose then the cold air tray is fixed infront of the battery with a bolt to keep it in place.Rubber seals are then put around the top of the tray and around the cut out for the intake pipe to keep it in place.

It's not that loud compared to some of the cai that i've had fitted to previous cars. Only concern i have is the heat soak from it running across the rear above the exhaust but the same could be said for the itg. I'm going to get a mate who does fabrication to have a look at it this weekend to see if we can come up with some sort of heat shield to sit under it. Failing that i thought about covering the underside in heat reflective tape to see if it helped.
Pirelli Edition:- APR stage 2+ map,Revo/BSH intake,Autotech hpfp internals,3" downpipe & de-cat,Sachs uprated clutch with smf conversion,H&R springs,race spec superpro polly bushes. 348bhp 360lbft.

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »
Any pics James as the revo shop is still closed.

h4rdy

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:03 am »
Still closed but it doesn't matter I bought the new ITG.