Make a donation

Author Topic: Changed all my bulbs for SuperWhite LEDs  (Read 106120 times)

Offline Ree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Changed all my bulbs for SuperWhite LEDs
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2012, 11:05:57 am »
That's worrying and strange I was thinking to do this mod !

But what's strange is that LED draw less power, maybe you have damaged a connector somewhere or one of the lights is not switching off.

Check all lights while the car is off !

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »
yeah i really am scratching my head and so are a few of my mates.. it must be something I've done because everyone else's seems to be fine?! its either that or a weird coincidence.
 all lights go on and off when they should.. so its not that they stay on over a long period of time. can using the wrong bulb type make my battery drain? I've switched the bulbs back round now so if the battery doesn't drain, it has to be something to do with the bulbs surely?

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2012, 02:13:45 pm »
could it be that i somehow put the wrong bulb in somewhere?? really needs some help here  :ashamed:

Offline essoman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »
Just fitted a complete set bought from Matt on eBay, only problem is that after fitting the glove box and footwell lamps they have ALL STOPPED WORKING,anyone any ideas why ?

Also a slight gripe,the bulbs arrived and there are no model or type numbers on any of the packets ???  I know I have fitted the correct size as this is straight forward,could I of blown a main fuse, if so anyone with an idea which one to look at ?

cheers
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:23:33 pm by essoman »

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 12:02:53 am »
yeah i really am scratching my head and so are a few of my mates.. it must be something I've done because everyone else's seems to be fine?! its either that or a weird coincidence.
 all lights go on and off when they should.. so its not that they stay on over a long period of time. can using the wrong bulb type make my battery drain? I've switched the bulbs back round now so if the battery doesn't drain, it has to be something to do with the bulbs surely?

Let us know mate. I cant see it being the LEDs. Like REE said, the LEDs draw far less power than the standard bulbs, and you seem to have fitted them right….and they seem to be working right  :confused:

Have you changed anything else at all in the car thats electrical…..for instance an RNS510???

The RNS510 is a well known cause of battery drain with certain firmware versions etc.

Let me know tmrw now you have switched back to the glass bulbs  :wink:

vw55raz

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:47 am »
took my chances today at the post office depot and my parcel was there  :laugh:

fitted the mtec dipped lights today, looks awesome in the night.doing sidelights tommorrow which looks like a pain in the butt.

pics tommorrow

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2012, 01:07:46 am »
Just fitted a complete set bought from Matt on eBay, only problem is that after fitting the glove box and footwell lamps they have ALL STOPPED WORKING,anyone any ideas why ?

Also a slight gripe,the bulbs arrived and there are no model or type numbers on any of the packets ???  I know I have fitted the correct size as this is straight forward,could I of blown a main fuse, if so anyone with an idea which one to look at ?

cheers

Hmmmm, definitely strange that they have all stopped working?  :stupid:  Could be a fuse??? Im not sure mate.

Lots of people have fitted these now and they are all SO pleased with the results.  :pomppomp:

I can help you with the types of bulbs and where to put them though. Here's what they look like and where they go  :wink:

5SMD x6 (Glovebox x1, Front Map x2, Rear Map x3)

8SMD Canbus x2 (footwell)

42mm x1 (Boot)

36mm x2 (sunvisor)

36mm Canbus x2 (numberplate)

Offline Craig1905

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:17 am »
Might have to look into getting these. Replaced a few exterior bulbs with brighter "no bulb error" bulbs and still get warnings on the dash. Having seen a set that works prior to buying takes all the hassle away!

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »

Let us know mate. I cant see it being the LEDs. Like REE said, the LEDs draw far less power than the standard bulbs, and you seem to have fitted them right….and they seem to be working right  :confused:

Have you changed anything else at all in the car thats electrical…..for instance an RNS510???

The RNS510 is a well known cause of battery drain with certain firmware versions etc.

Let me know tmrw now you have switched back to the glass bulbs  :wink:

I changed all the bulbs back apart from the front map because that required tools and so far have had no issues since.. I'm really confused. maybe it was just a really weird coincidence?? who knows! I'm going to try and put the LED bulbs back in and see if it happens again because then it is for sure that theres is and issue with my car and the bulbs.
I havnt changed my head unit, i have the MFD2.. not sure what model this is, it the one with the sat nav and non touch screen. my car is 05 plate so its an early model.

But yeah they look super cool aside all my problems, i really want to get them back in!

vw55raz

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »
Samdem how about changing one at a time and serving what happens day by day. I know it's long but maybe you can track down which bulb is causing your battery to drain

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2012, 12:59:08 pm »
yep, i think that is what i am going to do! i did have my boot open for a quite while but i don't think thats enough to drain the battery?? and then after we jump started it i drove for roughly half an hour down a motorway and when i woke up and went to drive of it was flat again. but since then its been fine!

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:26 am »
ok so my battery went flat again last night after sitting in the car with the engine off and radio on for about half an hour. i only have the front LED lights in and yet the power still seems to be draining. im going to replace with all the glass bulbs today. and see what happens. maybe my battery has come to the end of its life after all this? any way to check if my battery is infact screwed?

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2012, 09:52:44 am »
Load test
A battery can seem to be all right when it isn't.  This is because under normal operating conditions, it doesn't take much to start a car.  All car batteries will read 12 volts DC when the ignition is off, even if they are in poor condition.  They also have something called surface charge - the ability to produce enough amps to crank the engine momentarily before dying, even when their overall charge state is low.  That's why a weak battery can start a car, and why you can often start a car after charging a dead battery for only a few minutes.

Battery condition can be measured with a device called a load tester:

www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7612-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B0009XQUJI

This is a relatively simple device that can provide a low-resistance load to the battery that simulates the cranking load you would have with the starter. The one pictured above is rated at 100 amps.  You connect the clips to the car battery with the ignition off and throw the switch at the bottom to simulate cranking the engine for 15 seconds.  The meter measures the voltage drop during the testing interval.  Professional mechanics use more sophisticated equipment, but something like this is fine for a do-it-yourselfer.

Maybe Halfords can do a free check, if they think they might sell you a new battery  :happy2:

Offline samdem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »
i see, cheers for the info mate.

i spoke to halfords and they said they can do a free health check on the battery. should i have a decent drive round first to get some charge in it before they do the check? or does the check just tell whether the battery has the life in it to hold charge?

i really dont want to fork out for a new battery, but in a way if it is the battery its good because it may mean that my problem could be over! really dissapointed bnecuase i love my car so much and this is the first time anythings ever gone wrong. maybe i shouldnt try fix what isnt broke in future :P

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:46 am »
Hi Sam, thanks for the pm. I'm so glad you finally sorted it out with the battery and that you are happy with the LEDs mate.

I'm going to try and sort out all the remaining bulbs next  :happy2:

There are another 12 to do  :smiley: