Make a donation

Author Topic: Aircon suddenly stopped blowing cold air... Compressor?  (Read 999 times)

Offline its_neil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Aircon suddenly stopped blowing cold air... Compressor?
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »
Only had the car 4 weeks haha! (luckily still covered under warranty from the garage though)

Had my air con regassed monday (man said there was no gas in it), today it was blowing lovely and cold then all of a sudden stopped and blew air as if the air con was off.

I've read up on the dreaded mk5 compressor so I looked at my vehicle and with the engine running and Auto on LO the driver's side engine fan running at full pelt pretty much but the passenger one isn't moving at all.

I'm going to take it to the garage but I would like to be armed with a bit more information first :)

Do you reckon my compressor has gone pop?

-- Neil

Offline TopsGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Aircon suddenly stopped blowing cold air... Compressor?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:13 pm »
Did they carry out a pressure test prior to re-gas to identify any leaks?

Offline its_neil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
Yup, no leaks and held pressure.

Offline Wilko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:16 pm »
Do the two fan under the bonnet spin up when the AC is on ??  Mine has same fault at the moment but we found a leak coming from the pressure switch.  This faulty stops the fans spinning apparently.

Got the part for mine I just can't fit it cause of the position (that and I can't get the dam plug off :p).  Check the fans spin as it may be the sensor not the compressor.  Sensor is a dam sight cheaper too !
ED30 08 Plate, Xenons, MFSW, RNS510, 6 CD Changer, Armrest, LED Rear Cluster Lights, Cruise Control

Offline TopsGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
Seing as you lost all your charge I would be inclined to say you have a leak somewhere. As long as you test both the LP and Hp Sides of the system it should be a fairly obvious drop, sometimes a small leak can hold pressure ok but then fails a vac drop test straight away.

Your original problem was lack of charge, once re-gased everything worked fine which shows your compresser was doing its job ok. The gas has leaked out somewhere, whether that was a small leak over time, or a larger one which ditched the whole charge in short period of time only a good press/vac test will tell.

Offline its_neil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:56 pm »
As I said in my first post, the driver's side fan is going full pelt and the passenger fan is not.

Offline its_neil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »
Seing as you lost all your charge I would be inclined to say you have a leak somewhere. As long as you test both the LP and Hp Sides of the system it should be a fairly obvious drop, sometimes a small leak can hold pressure ok but then fails a vac drop test straight away.

Your original problem was lack of charge, once re-gased everything worked fine which shows your compresser was doing its job ok. The gas has leaked out somewhere, whether that was a small leak over time, or a larger one which ditched the whole charge in short period of time only a good press/vac test will tell.

I watched the guy do the leak test, he pressurised the system up to 150 and the needle stuck firm for about 5 minutes before he regassed it...

Offline Wilko

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:35 pm »
As I said in my first post, the driver's side fan is going full pelt and the passenger fan is not.

Sorry mate miss read that :D.  Mine don't move at all so I'm hopeful that the switch is at fault with mine.  Assuming your engines cold and you've turned the AC on then the spinning fan would suggest you have pressure still.  They don't spin up without it.  Not sure if that's pointing to a Compressor fault though, my AC chap that came round said the condensers we're prone to going as well...
ED30 08 Plate, Xenons, MFSW, RNS510, 6 CD Changer, Armrest, LED Rear Cluster Lights, Cruise Control