Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi fellow dubbers!  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
Hi fellow dubbers!
« on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:16 pm »
Hi Im Adie, currently driving round in a Mk1 Caddy with 1.9 AAZ conversion.

Been VW mad since i was 7, brought into the aircooled world by my parents, but growing up mad on water cooled dubs.

My situations in life have changed and i now require a 5 door family car, and fancy a Mk5 GTI preferably in White, So ive found myself here with naff all knowledge on mk5s but the need to learn!  :pomppomp:

Fun bags

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Hi fellow dubbers!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
Welcome along :smiley:

The Mk5 is a lovely car, although I think the white ones spend most of their life being washed. :surprised:
'07 Red manual

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »
Like i said im so clueless on mk5s, a bit of a boffin on corrado and mk2 golfs though, built a 16v/g60 corrado from scratch  :laugh:.

Am i likely to find a white Mk5 GTI with 18" Monzas? and what would i pay for such a beast?
Also looking at Air ride, il want it slammed but the Girlfriend moans how bumpy the caddy is so she will want it sky high  :rolleye:
Fun bags

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39:20 pm »
Welcome along! That looks VERY cool.  :happy2:

Really depends on your budget fella. Are you after a early GTI or a late Edition30 or Pirelli? Do you have a price for the car and seperate amount for mod's? Are you going for "show" or "go" (or both). Can't see Air being cheap, a fair few on here have it so worth a look around in the "members rides" to get some ideas.

Candy GTI's are sought after (for some reason) so there are usually less of them about and probably more money as well.  I say go with a Tornado Red Mk5, tiss the fastest colour!  :evilgrin:

Have a look through the "For Sale" section, you may find what your after and buying a car from a forum Member is a good thing IMHO as usually a forum member will be an enthusiast and will have looked after his/her car and will be well maintained.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,53.0.html

Should be a fair few about on 18" Monza 2's, but if you find the perfect car for you without them, they are always about to buyon the forum (some on here now), either the Monza 2's or the latter (much better looking IMO) Monza 2 shadows. Monza's can be refurb'd to look like the shadows too.

Happy car hunting!!

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:14:24 am »
After some research, Air seems it will set me back about £2500, guess i got a budget of about £7500 for the car. Are edition 30s year specific?
Its a must it has colour coded bumpers but can get that done at a later date if not
Fun bags

Offline eltel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:41 pm »
Hi mate im new to the site as well and also looking for an ed30 the cheapest one ive seen is
£9000 with 80k, there is wealth of information on here and a great bunch of people who love
 their gti's, good luck searching :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »
The Edition 30 were a limited edition run (although a lot of them, 2500 at last count) to celebrate the 30 th anniversary of the VW Golf. It ran from late 2006 to late 2008 (i think). It has 30 extra bhp over the standard Mk5 GTI and a larger turbo, the K04. Just remembered there's a white up on here,

There you go, the Edition 30.......

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5050.0.html

In my opinion I would go for an early, highly spec'd GTI and if you want to then mod it to the way you want ie show or go (or both). Do yourself a "must have spec" list and go from there. Try to get the highest spec'd, lowest mileage car in the colour you want with those lovely 18" Monza II's.

If you want it lower, go with springs, either H&R or Eibach Pro kit or Sportline are a good choice. Or coilovers, adjustable or not. Blistien B12 kit is a good kit IMO with OEM+ feel and a nice stance and relatively cheap (compared to some others).

Happy hunting

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 07:18:28 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, now to sort my funds out and get hunting!!!
Fun bags