Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitted new a.p brakes (not without drama)  (Read 7869 times)

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Fitted new a.p brakes (not without drama)
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:32:49 pm »
Well, thought it was about time i fitted my a.p's that have been sat in my shed for the last six months. Set about fitting them up yesterday at around 9am in the morning. Took off the standard calipers then fitted up the new ones. I test fitted them first as when i bought them i was told i would need to run at least a 6mm spacer over these. Just thought i would try the monza's over them and "voila" no spacers and fitted up perfect.

Anyways went about bolting the drivers side in place and set about taking off the old calipers and hoses. I thought i would give the new calipers a quick bleed as i was replacing the whole fluid for new 5.1 anyways. To my despair the caliper would not bleed up for love nor money.  :scared:. Had i bought duffers was what i was thinking at the time. I disconected the brake line from the caliper and fluid was coming through so there was no problem there. Anyways decided to take the whole caliper off and give a quick inspection to. Looking down the thread where the hose went into the port where the fluid went into the caliper was in the wall of the thread and not in the base, so what was happening was when i was tightening up the hose the
nipple was going right to the bottom and blocking off the flow of the fluid, alas wrong hoses were supplied with the calipers. Well with all the breaking system in bits there was no way i was putting back on the crappy standards after teasing myself with the test fit. Off i went in search of trying to find someone who could supply correct hoses on a saturday afternoon, after searching for 2 hrs i finally found a guy who supplied me all of the bits to make up my own hoses. After around 4-5hrs of what should have been a 2hr job max i finally got the fronts fitted up, so now down to replacing the whole fluid and bleeding the entire system, sounds a straight forward enough job, not in my case. As i went to bleed up the n/s rear i opened the bleed nipple to find that the damn thing had sheared the thread inside the caliper. :confused:. Well it was turning out to be a total nightmare. I got on the phone to statllers who just so happened to have a spare in, (cheers steve your a life saver) :signLOL: good thing i only live a mile away, fitted it up and eventually got it all bled up and back together for around 6pm. After an almighty back and arse ache im glad they look the shizzle. Not had chance to really test them yet as they need bedding in. Will keep ya'll posted on how they feel. Couple of pics for ya and i'll shut up now  :signLOL:

Should look great once the new rims arrive :evilgrin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Fitted new a.p brakes (not without drama)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »

Cracking looking kit  :smiley:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:53:00 pm »
Cheers Mike. Ye well worth the 10hrs to fit just for looks. :signLOL:

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »
Very nice indeed Gary, don't think you'll be able to get away without her indoors noticing though Bro hah!!  :

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:08:07 pm »
Already have mate, she's been out in it today and never batted an eyelid :signLOL:

Offline Statller-Stevo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »
Already have mate, she's been out in it today and never batted an eyelid :signLOL:

Wicked then WM next It is !   :wink:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:49:02 pm »
Awesome Gaz  :drool:

Well jel  :ashamed:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:16 am »

Wicked then WM next It is !   :wink:
Oh yes, she's away next saturday so may just have to slip it on then :evilgrin:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:16:56 am »
Went to work this morning and because most of my trip is bypasses i was able to get my footdown a little. To say these brakes are good is an understatement. They are immense, yet still have an oem pedal feel, superb bit of kit, probably one of my favorite upgrades on the car to date. I can now leave braking a lot later knowing i have the security that these things are now going to stop me when i want them to. Track days are calling :evilgrin:

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:43 pm »
Went to work this morning and because most of my trip is bypasses i was able to get my footdown a little. To say these brakes are good is an understatement. They are immense, yet still have an oem pedal feel, superb bit of kit, probably one of my favorite upgrades on the car to date. I can now leave braking a lot later knowing i have the security that these things are now going to stop me when i want them to. Track days are calling :evilgrin:

Did you notice increased pedal feel /  stopping power? When I fitted mine BBK I was a bit disappointed as expected something different. The stock brakes are good enough to block the wheels. What's missing is pedal feel this is where BBK is great. Also the BBK won;t feel soft after a couple of spirited breaking but that's something you wouldn;t really test on road

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07:46 pm »
^^^^^^ hi mate, yes deffo better stopping power but some unusual reason pedal feels very oem for some strange reason. Like you say, i was expecting these really throwing me through the front screen but not so. My bro in law had s3's on his ed30 and one dab on those and you really was lurching towards the screen. Tbh im not disappointed in any way at all as i like the feel. They just give me the extra security knowing there not going to just fade away like the oem ones did. Scary sh*t those on a k04 2+ car :scared:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
Just to confirm what you experienced with the treads in the rear calipers, I tried to change my blue 310mm rear calipers to find one tread in the first caliper was bad, then i looked at the red ones i had bought used refurbed, and at the time one tread was bad (recently trying to fit it for the second time the other turned out to be bad)
As i had a second go recently as mentioned before the 2 tread in the rear NS couldn't hold pressure, so now i have one red and one black rear (Had to borrow of a friend) while i get 2 blue and one red helicoiled  :fighting:
FYI anyone about to tamper with their rears from now on, cars being the age they are, has to take this issue in account.  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Padraig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »
Looks really nice,

How much does this upgrade cost?

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:20 pm »
got the same impressions as you, but now I know that on sports car you have to really push the pedal hard for brakes as this gives you great adjustability and feel and not on/off action if the bite was very hard initially with just a light push

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:29 pm »
Just to confirm what you experienced with the treads in the rear calipers, I tried to change my blue 310mm rear calipers to find one tread in the first caliper was bad, then i looked at the red ones i had bought used refurbed, and at the time one tread was bad (recently trying to fit it for the second time the other turned out to be bad)
As i had a second go recently as mentioned before the 2 tread in the rear NS couldn't hold pressure, so now i have one red and one black rear (Had to borrow of a friend) while i get 2 blue and one red helicoiled  :fighting:
FYI anyone about to tamper with their rears from now on, cars being the age they are, has to take this issue in account.  :sad1:
Tbh with you mate my car has done 79k and i dont think the nipples on the rear calipers have been touched at any point. The one that steve supplied me looked almost brand new so happy days, as you said though if i was going to attempt doing the rears again then i would deffo buy a spare set and get them refurbed first.