Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitted new a.p brakes (not without drama)  (Read 7862 times)

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Fitted new a.p brakes (not without drama)
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
Looks really nice,

How much does this upgrade cost?
Cost me about £1100 and that was cheap as the calipers are 2nd hand but had been fully rebuilt by daveb on here, then there is fitting if you aren't up to doing them yourself.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 02:17:22 pm »
got the same impressions as you, but now I know that on sports car you have to really push the pedal hard for brakes as this gives you great adjustability and feel and not on/off action if the bite was very hard initially with just a light push

Paul
Yes mate as said pedal feel is exceptional and when pressed hard they do launch you forward. :happy2:

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »
What people tend to forget is that setups like these are for continual hard braking(read track work) over just your average driving. If you want big brakes for road go S3/R32/Cupra setups, go for these if you either like wasting money, money to burn or are going to track. IMHO

Fish

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:14:24 pm »
What people tend to forget is that setups like these are for continual hard braking(read track work) over just your average driving. If you want big brakes for road go S3/R32/Cupra setups, go for these if you either like wasting money, money to burn or are going to track. IMHO

Fish
Yep, money to burn :signLOL: cant take it with ya.

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
Looks really nice,

How much does this upgrade cost?
Cost me about £1100 and that was cheap as the calipers are 2nd hand but had been fully rebuilt by daveb on here, then there is fitting if you aren't up to doing them yourself.

Is this an off-the-shelf kit that you just bought second hand (ie like Redrobin has)?  or is it a mix and match?

2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »

Fish

Whilst I'd agree in a lot of cases big brakes are fitted to these cars just for vanity,  a kit like this isn't just going to be beneficial for track use.  IIRC the AP setup with ally calipers and bells saves 4 kg per side in unsprung weight so you'll probably see a benefit in terms of ride quality and handling as well as the obvious brake fade resistance.

Also on my car (vRS wagon) when it's fully loaded with 4 people and luggage a few stops from high speed will put a lot more energy in to the stoppers vs. say a lighly loaded golf so I wouldn't consider a brake upgrade on my car to be burning money.  (wife might disagree lol!).
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »

Fish

Whilst I'd agree in a lot of cases big brakes are fitted to these cars just for vanity,  a kit like this isn't just going to be beneficial for track use.  IIRC the AP setup with ally calipers and bells saves 4 kg per side in unsprung weight so you'll probably see a benefit in terms of ride quality and handling as well as the obvious brake fade resistance.

Also on my car (vRS wagon) when it's fully loaded with 4 people and luggage a few stops from high speed will put a lot more energy in to the stoppers vs. say a lighly loaded golf so I wouldn't consider a brake upgrade on my car to be burning money.  (wife might disagree lol!).
Once the o.z's arrive that should change the driving characteristics of the car immensely. Was joking when i said i had bought them coz i had money to burn. I bought them because i hate the s3's as i think they are too snatchy for my likings and also hate the look of the s3's. Admittedly these do give that bit of bling but tbh i dont think you can compromise my safety and my familys safety in any instances. P.s they are bedding in really nicely now.

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:39 pm »

So I take it you go 4 up with luggage then track daying? Dont get me wrong, but if you're not then this is might read as you're either driving too close to the car in front or have no regard for your passengers safety. Even stock brakes will deal easily with repeated motorway stops.

Fish

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 10:28:03 pm »
Fish

Find two motorway junctions close together do a couple of repeated stops from a very achievable three figure speed in a Mk5 you will find yourself pushing harder on the second one and harder still on the third.

There's a reduction in efficiency on single piston calipers when not fully serviced or with worn pads.

OEM pads also do not cover a range of temperatures that allow for repeated stops from high speeds

The brakes as they left the factory are slowly getting worse and worse with every mile covered.

When was the last time somebody asked for a caliper service?

Four piston opposed calipers are fixed.... pedal pressure is supplied to the pads directly there's no pressure used in moving half the caliper, more importantly it doesn't degrade generally with age/mileage

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:56 pm »
Dave, as you currently know my upgrade plans you know where I'm heading, but you're talking about repeated hard stopping requests being made on a system that was never really designed for it. I do have a 'test track' which is dual carriage way national speed limit, where at very early hours of the morning I go and test any upgrades that I make. One direction is also downhill so that really does get some heat into them. Good setups for road/fast road isn't that far from the stock setup, here we're talking about someone making a comment about making repeated hard stops with passengers and luggage. :scared:

Fish

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 10:46:53 pm »
It was just the comment about stock brakes being able to handle repeated motorway stops and that's just not the case.

You'd need additional ducting on the stock pads for that at which point they're not stock anymore by definition.

Im a great believer in horses for courses, my brakes on my Mk5 and rocco were standard despite people expecting me to turn up with 400mm ceramics. Just never drove that fast in fairness and when I did have a blat was always wary of the OEM stock brakes limits which isn't much

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 09:06:42 am »

So I take it you go 4 up with luggage then track daying? Dont get me wrong, but if you're not then this is might read as you're either driving too close to the car in front or have no regard for your passengers safety. Even stock brakes will deal easily with repeated motorway stops.

Fish

Dude- are you deliberately trying to provoke me? 

I regularly take the family on holiday in my car, so 4-up plus luggage, roof box etc.  Drive in Snowdonia or across europe, south of france, alps etc and you'll have many situations where you're pushing the brakes harder to stop.

To extrapolate from my post that I'm driving too close and have no regard for my passegers safety is both bizarre and insulting.

Offline drsilviuro

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 09:10:33 am »
Will these fit under 17" with no spacer?

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:18 pm »
Nice looking kit, v impressive, has it made any difference to brake stability, with the increased size of front over the rear? also master cylinder no need to change it i assume it's man enough?

Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 05:17:10 pm »

Will these fit under 17" with no spacer?

....If this is the same size kit which AP fiited on mine, then yes. AP used my car to test the fit:

Mighty fine brakes - Very even and progressive feel, powerful without any snatching, and even better balanced when S3/R32 OEM brakes are fitted to the rear (Mk5 GTI).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!