Make a donation

Author Topic: Service Light  (Read 3103 times)

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
Service Light
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:07 am »
Hi,

I bought my GTi new Apr last year and was advised is on the long life service.  However, over the weekend the service light has come on car has only done 200 miles short of 10k.  Is this anything to worry about as I have topped up the oil with the long life oil?  :scared:

Not to fussed about an early service as I took out the service pack for 3 yrs (£200).

Cheers

Offline bennylenny88

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • needs moar lowwww
    • Email
Re: Service Light
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »
nah dont worry bout it mate
the light only comes on because its set to a certin amount of miles.. if you want to take the service light off :
1.hold the 0.0
2. turn the key to electrics on
3. when service now comes on...
4. let go of 0.0 and push M once

2 x cerwin vega 15" subs and MTX 1000D amp with box and complete wiring for sale.. PM for details

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:59:59 pm »
Hi,

I bought my GTi new Apr last year and was advised is on the long life service.  However, over the weekend the service light has come on car has only done 200 miles short of 10k.  Is this anything to worry about as I have topped up the oil with the long life oil?  :scared:

Not to fussed about an early service as I took out the service pack for 3 yrs (£200).

Cheers

If the service light came on - go get it serviced. It may not be on a long life regime and therefore needs it's service at 10K Miles or because of the way the car has been used, the oil quality sensor on the long life is advising it needs to be serviced.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:15 pm »
I wouldn't do what the above poster suggests atm.

Get your dealer to look at it as you may not be on longlife (unlikely as it's over 12 months from purchase) or it's on longlife service but you do lots of short journeys and your oil may actually need changing.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:00:43 pm »
if the lights come on at this time it must have been set to t&d not longlife.
if you wanted it set to longlife i suggest you take it back to the dealer and ask them to re set the light for another 10k, taking it to 20k when it will need serviced, so it will be inline with the longlife regime.

service lights can come on early due to types of journeys undertaken and therefore oil quality..

if your set to t&d then go get it serviced, espec if your on vw service plan..  :smiley:
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:53:59 pm »
I am confident it wont have been set to time and date, you basically have to ask for it to be set to T&D it gets set longlife by default.
There is a misconception about these services everybody assumes that because its on long life it wont need doing for at least a year or so many thousand miles.
If you do lots of short journeys and like to put your foot down, then it will shorten the service interval.
In a lot of cases with the GTI, it is cheaper to be on time and date as the long life service costs a bit more and comes round more frequently than T&D.
All this being said it is strongly advised that on turbo powered cars you should get it serviced annually and not wait for 15000 miles to come round.  :smiley:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:24 pm »
I have all my VAG cars set to T&D then ask for longlife oil to be used :smiley:

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:29:57 am »
Thanks everyone for responses...car is booked in for a week on sat.

Daily commute is 8-9 miles which may explain it.  Speaking to the service desk they think it is due to me taking the service pack that it was time limited.

Main concern was if I put the wrong oil in

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:44 am »
I know when Skoda did the free servicing offer on the Octavia it was for 3 T&D services (30k miles) however I think all of the cars were left on variable which is the factory default.  I always had mine done at 10k simply because of the higher power output etc.

I much prefer T&D to variable and was also advised by the MasterTech at Audi to run mine on T&D.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:38:24 am »
thanks....i was against the 18 mths service seems a bit long to me so quite happy - like to keep her in tip top condition  :happy2: