Make a donation

Author Topic: Duty free fags Spain  (Read 10785 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Duty free fags Spain
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
Unless you're having a shower, washing your hair and changing your clothes between cigarettes and going near your son he'll still be getting 2nd hand smoke off you
I'd say that's horsesh*t. Where did you garner that information?

Maybe he should keep his son in an oxygen tent - he'll likely have a long and rewarding existence.

My terminology is incorrect, but it is a well documented phenomenon:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-is-third-hand-smoke

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/03/louisiana-hospital-to-ban-odor-smoke-on-workers-clothes/?test=latestnews

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2010/02/08/dangers-of-third-hand-smoke/

http://m.parenting.com/article/on-call-babies-and-third-hand-smoke
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »
Quite a bit of a debate for a question that asked about prices!

I grew up in the 80s where everyone smoked in restaurants, cinemas, on public transport etc
times are a lot better now for the non smoker, I won't smoke around a non smoker even in my own car

I try my best to keep the smoke away from my son and I agree there will be some second hand smoke after I  come inside from having a fag but it's got to be better than the people than light up in the same room or in the car with kids.

Would all the non smokers be happy when taxes are hiked up onto everything else if everyone stopped smoking to make up the money the government would lose?

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:30 pm »
Sub - I stand corrected. Very interesting articles, although there is no proven disease link yet. I'd say it's only a matter of time before they find one. The 'Parenting' article was utter tripe though -"ask him to wash his hands/shower"  :sick:
'07 Red manual

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »
Would all the non smokers be happy when taxes are hiked up onto everything else if everyone stopped smoking to make up the money the government would lose?

I wouldn't be unhappy.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »
The money saved by the NHS from not treating Smoking related illness would easily be made up , together with all the fires caused by dropped cigarettes in houses killing people etc etc. Never can encourage smoking when you see the harm caused by it .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 08:42:03 am »

No-one actually needs to smoke. And they don't need to drink alcohol either. Life is better without both.  :evilgrin:

Very true!

What about humping?

....Humping is very good for you. But the problem is that it's usually never duty free. In fact, it sometimes carries a super tax  :grin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
The money saved by the NHS from not treating Smoking related illness would easily be made up , together with all the fires caused by dropped cigarettes in houses killing people etc etc. Never can encourage smoking when you see the harm caused by it .

Same could be said of all the fat people, costing the NHS millions too, everyones different, plus I think there are way more fat people now than smokers  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
^^^^ Have noticed an alarming amount of "larger" peeps in recent years. We're supposed to be in a recession, they seem to be able to afford take always ok!! Over a certain BMI those peeps should be refused NHS treatment and made to jog home.

....Humping is very good for you. But the problem is that it's usually never duty free. In fact, it sometimes carries a super tax  :grin:

We end up paying for it one way or another!! Still, it's a tax I'm happy to pay.  :evilgrin:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:50 am »

....Humping is very good for you. But the problem is that it's usually never duty free. In fact, it sometimes carries a super tax  :grin:

We end up paying for it one way or another!! Still, it's a tax I'm happy to pay.  :evilgrin:

.... :laugh: Yes, it's much nicer to be fooked by a female you like than a taxman!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:35 am »
^^^^ Have noticed an alarming amount of "larger" peeps in recent years. We're supposed to be in a recession, they seem to be able to afford take always ok!! Over a certain BMI those peeps should be refused NHS treatment and made to jog home.

As I dont drink I feel smoking is me doing my bit for the economy(That along with having a car that is not exactly economical to run), every time I light a cig up, its another 23p in tax the gov get  :signLOL:

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 12:24:10 am »

....I have to admit to being a 'fatist'. Most (but not all) grossly overweight people are in that state due to their own doing and so it's difficult to be sympathetic towards them.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hcb4q11gughl5fisq8o5c029sh&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 12:56:31 am »

As I dont drink I feel smoking is me doing my bit for the economy(That along with having a car that is not exactly economical to run), every time I light a cig up, its another 23p in tax the gov get  :signLOL:

Thats an odd one... a non drinking smoker. I thought the two went hand in hand  :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:01 am »
The amount of tax brought in by levies on smokers far outweighs the cost of looking after them. Something along the lines of £13billion/yr compared to the cost to the NHS of £2-5 billion depending on sources. Also bear in mind that smokers die around 10 years earlier and this means less paid out in terms of pensions.

Alcohol I'm led to believe is similar though not as much revenue.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 07:39:11 am »
^^^^ if those stats are correct its no wonder the government will never ban/outlaw the sale of cigarettes, it's a cash cow for them. Just imagine the extra taxes we would all have to ban if there was a ban/outlaw on the sale of cigarettes, V Power would probably be £2.50 a litre.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
The true cost of smoking is death.....whether you pay for it cheaper via fags from Europe or full fat price via VAT the end game is always the same.

I cannot understand how educated people ignore the warning right in from of them.

As for the tax on fags, it has stopped many of my friends smoking which for them and their family's is fantastic. Less fantastic for the tax payer as every single stop smoking aid they received was free!