Make a donation

Author Topic: Things to do in sharm el sheikh/egypt  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Things to do in sharm el sheikh/egypt
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »
Off to sharm soon, never been before so thought Id find out whats good out there and whats best to avoid.

Ive seen the kart track online which looked good, and also seen the KTM offroad biking also.

Anyone done the "pyramids by air" trip at all?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Things to do in sharm el sheikh/egypt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »
I Went with the plan to do all those things...instead i led by the pool and slept for 2weeks  :signLOL:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
I Went with the plan to do all those things...instead i led by the pool and slept for 2weeks  :signLOL:

lmao, i'll probably be the same  :signLOL:

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:07:05 pm »
I went to Sharm last year and it was a good holiday. Went to Cairo to see pyramids and although the pyramids were good to look at, the surroundings are a mess.
I did snorkeling, scuba diving and quad biking and snorkeling was the activity I enjoyed the most.

Enjoy your trip  :happy2:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:15:28 pm »
DON'T GET CAUGHT SHAGGING ON THE BEACH !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:54:36 pm »
Learn to Scuba Dive, takes 3-4 half days for your basic "Open Water" and you can add on other qualifications as you see fit (I did Open water in 2000, Advanced Open Water in 2000, Rescue Diver and Divemaster in 2001 while I was living overseas), good fun, see loads of new things and good way to meet people if you travel on your own (or with mates who do not dive)  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:03:08 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
^^^^ totally agree!  I did the basic course and loved it!! Not a lot else to do in Sharm apart from relax on the beach or by the pool, enjoy the 40 degree heat and go for a Camel ride. Also went on an excursion to a Bedouin camp and did star watching and sat by a camp fire chilling!

Check out Trip Advisor, use it for everywhere we go and is usually spot on with their reviews:-

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g297555-Activities-Sharm_El_Sheikh_South_Sinai_Red_Sea_and_Sinai.html

Enjoy!!   :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »
Soho square is good for a night out, plenty of bars, plenty of restaurants, shopping as well. Even an ice bar you can go to, it's -6 in there, only let you stay in there for 30 mins at a time, everything is made of ice, even the glasses. You get a wooly coat to wear on your way in as well, you'll need it, trust me.

Offline Superted74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »
Personally I think you've gotta see the pyramids in your life time, but gotta admit they're getting spoilt by how close they've built up around them and Cairo itself..... S**t hole!!

Whatever you do tho DON'T go by coach. To far, to cramped. Pick you up at midnight, drive the 8 hrs through the night, expecting you to sleep on the coach, then straight into a full days sight seeing at 40deg heat!! Total nightmare and very nearly spoilt the experience.

Other than that, snorkel and chill :happy2:

Offline Grande_GTi

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:14 am »
Hello mate

We went out to Sharm el shiekh, a couple of years back stayed at the novotel hotel, the agencie we stayed there through had a rep that advised on bits n bobs,

while we was there we did "star gazing" which involved being picked up by coach being driven into the desert, you get to watch the sun come down which imo is amazing experince, they also allow you to have dinner with the local's which is great fun the guys are a bit pervy but not enough to offend, then they take you plus a handfull of people deeper in to the desert where they have telescopes set up and explain to the group about the stars in the sky's, we we're exceptionally fortunate to seeing a shooting star whilist we was there which was breath taking.

We also did the trip to Cairo, we flew from sharm to cairo central, which is probably the same standard as a (ryanair/easyjet) flight so no thrills there. but depending if again if you book it with a guide they'l pick you up from the airport drove us from there to the pyramids theres a great amount of culture there and while driving through you really get a sense of the ways of life.

Do try and get a guide if you go Cairo

My best holiday to date

instgram @ricky_grande

check out @lowlife_official

MK5 GTi OEM+

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
watch out for sharks? or is that only a problem is you stupidly wander into deeper water?

also, how is in terms of threat level these days? i went to egypt pre 911 and it was not great then in terms of safety!
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:24 am »

watch out for sharks? or is that only a problem is you stupidly wander into deeper water?

also, how is in terms of threat level these days? i went to egypt pre 911 and it was not great then in terms of safety!

....Wherever the waters, sharks can be a threat. Tiger Shark, where they occur, love to patrol the shallows around river estuaries at night and they are reputed to be a very aggressive breed.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:16 am »
If I went to Egypt (never been) I'd want to find music and particularly some of this if it's done well:

^ Great song, shame about the dancing  :wink:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

MPS

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 11:05:25 am »
I went to the Jaz Mirabel Beach in the Nabq bay area of Sharm last May for 2 weeks and apart from having the squirts for 5 days, thoroughly enjoyed it! Snorkelling is out of this world. We booked a few trips while we were out there 1 of which was the 'Discover Scuba Diving' trip, around £45 IIRC with a shore dive off Naama Bay.

The Sinai by starlight trip was good fun, there is an optional Camel ride to the bedouin tent. Good food. You then climb a hill and watch the sunset, take your camera! This is then followed by a belly dancer display, be warned she'll try and drag you up, I had to refuse as I was dealing with the squirts on that day. :scared:  :grin: The fire-eater display was excellent. Then finally for those of you who are interested in astronomy, you are given a guide of the heavens with opportunity to gaze at the planets through some serious telescopes, seeing Saturn with it's rings in pin-sharp clarity was mind blowing. Take plenty of change for tips and also for the souvenirs they have on sale.

As a sucker for punishment I chose the 'Cairo by road' trip, this works out around £65 as opposed to approx £130 for the 'By Air' trip. As the other poster says, yes it's a very long and tiring day - they pick you up around 1am from your hotel for an 9 hour drive through the Sinai desert. Once in Cairo the first port of call was the Citadel of Saladin and the Mosque of Mohammed Ali, there is a good point outside for viewing the spectacular cityscape panorama of Cairo. Good photo opportunity, esp. for DSLR / wide angle lens owners!

Then we visited the Pyramids and sphinx, be warned of the hawkers trying to sell you stuff. I paid 10L.E. (£1?) to climb down into one of the Queen's pyramids to see the hole dug in the ground where the sarcophagus was. Spooky.

Lunch was included in the price of the trip. We were taken to TGI's (Authentic Egyptian cuisine...not.  :grin:) on a moored up boat on the Nile, again, great views!

Finally the Egyptian Museum, could really have done with more time here, you could easily spend a couple of days looking at all the artifacts, mummified monkey anyone? Tut's death mask is just :surprised: wow!. It's scary to think how close the rioters came to all the priceless antiquities, just outside on Tahrir Square -  Mubarak's old government HQ building is right next door to the museum - well what remains of it at least, it's completely burnt out! Then you depart at around 17:30 for a long drive south back to Sharm! They drop you off at the hotel at around 00:30 the following day so you're up for around 24hrs! Though I just took it all as part of the experience! Round trip distance, around 700 miles.

Oh 2 big tips, most hotels will provide you with a complimentary goody / picnic bag/s to take with you on the trip if you ask nicely. Also don't forget to take a pillow from your hotel room with you for on the coach, we were never told about this, it makes the 8hr coach journey a bit more bareable!

May is a great time to visit Egypt and Cairo, it never got hotter than 35c while we were there and the breeze off the Red Sea keeps the humidity comfortably low.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:18:38 am by MPS »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »
MY mate works in Egypt, UAE and Bahrain (with his family located safely in Cyprus) and he told me its expected you will get the "two bob bits" at some time in Egypt (unless you have a cast iron stomach), so as long as you expect your gonna suffer squirty bum syndrome (and pack imodium) you will be ok.

He also recommends the diving trips and tells me he was not aware of any shark issues when he was doing his diving.

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14