Make a donation

Author Topic: Performance upgrades to an older car  (Read 1600 times)

Offline robertosutherlando

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Performance upgrades to an older car
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »
Hello all!
Been a lurker on the forum for a while, great place for information!

I've recently decided to keep my GTI for another few years, however I'm fancying the idea of getting a few more horses on the go. The car is a 55plate, 57k on the clock. I usually do around 9k a year, mostly town/dualer roads but I fit in a longer 200mile a couple of times a month. So far the car has been lowered on eibach springs (not the pro's but the other ones) and I've put Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres all round. I dont often get the chance to fill up with 97+ RON fuel, usually standard 95.

The plans are:
Induction kit - Neuspeed P-Flo, etc. Something that can bypass using the rubbish engine cover intake, but nothing like a twintake or stupidly expensive.
Cat-Back Exhaust - Milltek, Scorpion, etc. Downpipe and cat will be replaced once they are done....if ever!
Remap - Stage 1 only, preferably with an sps switch or similar.

I'm not expecting huge gains in power, just a bit more go! Somewhere around 240ish would be nice I think. My main concern is the age of the car and overstressing older components. Has anyone got any experience of similar mods on a similar aged car?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Performance upgrades to an older car
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 07:06:06 pm »
There are plenty of modified  cars on here with more miles on than that with no issues, some have been modified for longer than that. I'm sure Robin's has more than 100k on it now many of them modified and his car is still going strong.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »
My GTi is an 05 reg, have recently had a Twintake fitted, along with BCS Powervalve Exhaust, and a Stage 2 custom map! That said ive also had a new DV, PCV, and Cam Follower, they are needed essentially for modding! So yes, dont worry bout age too much! Like any older car, however, things do break, crack, etc, but not necessarily due to any mods!!

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:14:28 pm »
I wouldn't worry at all with your plans. I'm at 118k with a K04 conversion and no problems.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
If you look at my post regarding modified oe intake. If you go to a post by the bruce there is a link to another website. Basically he got more power by modifying the oe intake than a p flo intake he had. Ive switched back the oe intake from an aftermarket one as i found the car runs better. Good luck with your car :happy2:
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »
Not a problem at all at that mileage, our GTI has done 73k and I won't hesitate to tune it  :happy2:

That looks to be in great condition as well. Plans sound good, if you want some ideas look at our webiste (www.gnjmotorsport.com) or email me (info@gnjmotorsport) and I will go through your options with you.

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram