Make a donation

Author Topic: Pricing help  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Pricing help
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:22:43 pm »
Hi,

I am looking at two virtually identical Golf TDI GT 170's to buy, They are literally identical except colour and both of which I could live with.

The problem is the age old question of price, and they are quite different, which is confusing me, so I thought id do a little advert of a car and
see if you lovely knowlegable people can get a price that is close to either!

Now I know there are many many variables but this is just a bit of fun but at the same time maybe give me an idea of what I should be paying!

VW Golf TDI GT 170

5 Doors

'08 Plate

33,000 miles

FULL VW SH

1 years MOT

3 Months tax

All old MOT's, service history, receipts and 2 keys

Immaculate cloth interior,  with a parrot fitted

Beautifully clean paintwork with only 1 tiny dink in drivers door

Immaculate wheels but 2 tyres will need changing in 6 months

facelift model with exhausts, dark headlights and tinted glass

everything in the cabin is standard GT, but extremly clean.

well thats it... I think,  everything good and bad is listed, so what would you guys and girls pay for this VW?

:happy2:

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Pricing help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:53 pm »
£10k max
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:30:36 am »
From what I've seen recently I reckon around £8500.
10k seems way too much....

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »
Thanks to both of you, its pretty frustrating having such a wide variation on two similar cars.

one is priced at 10k and will not budge - dealer!

so I guess ill just hold out for the right car,

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:42:44 pm »
I paid 9,800 for mine it was a 2008 140 gt sport with dual zone climate and full leather  absolutely immaculate 4 brand new tyres rest was standard gt spec it only had 26k full vwsh and cambelt done so I didn't mind paying a tad more

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:52 am »
As a guide, my neighbour has paid £12,450 for a late 59 plate 170 GT TDI, 3dr with 40k on, from a main dealer. no leather. To be also factored in, he did get a large part ex value on his older mk5 07, tdi match.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:24:06 am »
to be honest, i would be willing to pay a little more and get a car from a dealer

that warranty will be worth it's weight in gold, as will the trouble free buying experience and if there is any problems then you can take the car straight back without issue as one S3 owner did when the car cleared the HPI check with a dealer but then he learned it had been clocked from checking the MOT history online.

that's just my 2p of course. other people will have different priorities
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »
Hmmmm, ok this has given me something to think about.

So as the dealer is offering a live HPIcheck in front of me whern I buy it + fresh mot with all advisories repaired + VW oil service in accordance with the service history + A free VW health check with all faults repaired............all for 10k would that sound like a better deal?

The only thing that I can see that will need doing is the tyres and thats in about a year with the miles that I do...

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:32:48 pm »
I paid 9,800 for mine it was a 2008 140 gt sport with dual zone climate and full leather  absolutely immaculate 4 brand new tyres rest was standard gt spec it only had 26k full vwsh and cambelt done so I didn't mind paying a tad more

Sounds like you got a gem!

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
Yeah it's nice I looked and looked and looked believe me I was torn between 140 and 170 didn't k wo which to go for posted on various forums either owner posted biased opinions the general consensus was that 170 are more problematic and having come from a pd150 mk4 with the chocolate cam I really didn't want any more headaches. Having had my heart set on a 170 on the end I choose a 140 mainly due to economy and problem free motoring. The 170 have there advantages but the 140 by many tuners and forum members is a better all round car.

My only criteria was Gt Sport model and dual zone climate I couldn't spend 10k on a car and have round knobs and my last pd150 had climate so I thought I didn't want a step backwards all the other extras can easily be retrofitted. 

I found a lot of cars didn't have the dual zone climate in it and that put me off until this one came was well worth the 660 mile round trip for it!!!

Plus the my2008 onwards came with leather as standard.

I felt at 9,8 I might of paid extra but looking around 2 months on I still have all my bookmarks and saved pages and it does seem like a very good deal especially as its 26k and on a 08.  And the red is growing on me now.

My next plan is a remap that will put it up there around the 175-185 mark and really transform the drivel

Offline Spooky1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:26:21 am »
ok I bit the bullet and put a deposit down on the slightly older one with the lower miles and better service history, and im happy!

The dealer said he will do the following;

A full VW service

A Fresh no advisory MOT

A full VW health check (i know its free but he said they would fix any problem/issue no questions)

I am due to pick it up on Thursday so before then Id like to ask you lot if there is any recalls on the '57 170 GT that you know of that I could mention
when it goes into VW so it comes out in the best condition?

I know of the coil packs one and I will mention that...

Is there a problem with the clutch ar dual mass flywheel if it has one?????

Also what is on a 32k service when its on a T&D schedule?

thanks