Make a donation

Author Topic: Chips Away or Revive?  (Read 3801 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Chips Away or Revive?
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:26:39 pm »
Who has best reputation and who has experience of using them? minor paintwork repair required.
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Chips Away or Revive?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:16 am »
Personally I say neither and use AutoRestore.

We use them at work and they're by far the best.

All their techs must have at least 5 years experience and hold the correct qualifications. They'll give you lifetime ownership guarantee on any repairs.

Used them for business and personal and been very very happy with results ever time

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:56 am »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:11 am »
the problem with these is that they are all franchises, any tom, dick or harry with 30k can buy a franchise, may never have touched a car in their life and only get 2-3 weeks training before being let out on customers cars

i'm a panel beater/painter myself and have done 3 years at college and 7 years experience since and it is a joke that they only give them 2-3 weeks basic training

I think it's a bit harsh to generalise like that. I am looking at perhaps getting into something like this. I have never worked in a bodyshop, but have been painting and repairing cars,mechanically, electrically and aethetically  for the past 30 odd years more as a hobby and love for motor vehicles than anything else. Does that make me worse than the next guy if I wear a Chips Away shirt?

I think it all depends on the individual covering that area. Word spreads and if he's no good, then I am pretty sure he won't last. I have also dealt with 'panel beaters' and spray painters with years of experience whose work left much to be desired.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

the problem with these is that they are all franchises, any tom, dick or harry with 30k can buy a franchise, may never have touched a car in their life and only get 2-3 weeks training before being let out on customers cars

i'm a panel beater/painter myself and have done 3 years at college and 7 years experience since and it is a joke that they only give them 2-3 weeks basic training

I think it's a bit harsh to generalise like that. I am looking at perhaps getting into something like this. I have never worked in a bodyshop, but have been painting and repairing cars,mechanically, electrically and aethetically  for the past 30 odd years more as a hobby and love for motor vehicles than anything else. Does that make me worse than the next guy if I wear a Chips Away shirt?

I think it all depends on the individual covering that area. Word spreads and if he's no good, then I am pretty sure he won't last. I have also dealt with 'panel beaters' and spray painters with years of experience whose work left much to be desired.

....As you say, it can only depend on the individual's skills. I think that loopyloo was just pointing out the added risks when using a franchise company. It applies to all franchises and there is no better example than VW dealers! Some are great and some shouldn't even be VW dealers.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:30:09 pm »
have gone for neither but both looked at the car, chips away did not want to touch it and revive said £120.00 plus vat.

got it done for £80.00 cash it hand by someone who has years of experience. was just a deep scratch on front bumper by fog grille
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »
Glad you got it sorted in the end :happy2:

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members