Make a donation

Author Topic: Conned on Gumtree , Ebay etc ?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Conned on Gumtree , Ebay etc ?
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »
I am amazed at how many people still send money by bank transfer , western union , Ukash etc to people they have never met for items for sale on these websites and they never even know that the item even exits etc etc

The highest i have heard of was for £10k for a Vw Split Creen Camper and he'd never even seen it , the Dim wit who sent the money said " It was cheaper than the others " and "he said he would deliver it "  FFS

What other stories have you lot heard.....

Also theres the people who apply for a Loan on line , their details are accessible to thousands of people by doing this and then they get offered the loan by some scammers but then have to pay Admin charges via western union or similar usually about £100 plus and then guess what..........No loan appears !

etc etc
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: Conned on Gumtree , Ebay etc ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:00:49 pm »
As long as there are gullible people there will always be unscrupulous individuals ready to relieve them of their hard earned.

vw55raz

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »
I got conned on eBay 10 years ago. I was selling a Jvc camcorder and a guy commited to buy it now. He sent me an email from the post office saying "you got funds" and said when you send the parcel off they will release the funds.

So I shipped the camcorder. Overseas. To Nigeria. And sent the receipt to the buyer. He issued me with a special number which was on a proper royal mail headed letter. I took it back to the PO and he said it was fake.
Contacted the seller many times. No responses. And then he was listed as "no longer a member" on eBay.

Learnt my lesson never to send anything abroad before having the money in your account.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »
Even if the money is in your account the transaction can be reversed and has happened alot to people. For example i can pay a cheque into your account from a stolen cheque book , initially it will register being in your account then a couple of days later it can disappear . You must generally wait a week to be certain after seeing it in your account . Also what also can happen is that they steal a cheque from a neighbour/friend/relative but from  the back of the book . It is not reported stolen until they cheque book find it missing or see the funds leave their account . Then this could be several weeks later , during that time the cheque cleared and the seller of the goods shipped the good to the buyer . Usually a multi used flat .

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:30:46 pm »
I got conned on eBay 10 years ago. I was selling a Jvc camcorder and a guy commited to buy it now. He sent me an email from the post office saying "you got funds" and said when you send the parcel off they will release the funds.

So I shipped the camcorder. Overseas. To Nigeria. And sent the receipt to the buyer. He issued me with a special number which was on a proper royal mail headed letter. I took it back to the PO and he said it was fake.
Contacted the seller many times. No responses. And then he was listed as "no longer a member" on eBay.

Learnt my lesson never to send anything abroad before having the money in your account.

Im sorry but...

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

NIGERIA!!!! :stupid:

Ifti

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:20 pm »
All payments I take are always via PayPal, so at least both parties have some protection.
Bank transfers are only taken from established companies, not from private individuals.

I've sold on Gumtree a few times, but will only ever deal in person, so the customer can check the item, and I then check the cash!

I no longer accept cheque or postal orders. I've been done by fake postal orders once several years ago, luckily it wasn't a major amount.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:30:34 am »

Im sorry but...

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

NIGERIA!!!! :stupid:

Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:22:03 am »
I sold a laptop way back. £450. Buyer wanted a deal so did it outside ebay and thought id then save some money by sending it 1st class rather than recorded or special (which are tracked)

Buyer claimed to have never received the item.

UK law (not just ebay) states that if you cannot PROVE that the buyer has received the item then, as the seller, I have not upheld my end of the transaction and have to replace the item or refund.

I ended up giving a full refund :(

ALWAYS SEND THINGS RECORDED!
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

vw55raz

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:20 am »

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:46:27 am »
I sold a laptop way back. £450. Buyer wanted a deal so did it outside ebay and thought id then save some money by sending it 1st class rather than recorded or special (which are tracked)

UK law (not just ebay) states that if you cannot PROVE that the buyer has received the item then, as the seller, I have not upheld my end of the transaction and have to replace the item or refund.

Unfortunately this is not foolproof either. Especially in multi occupancy premises , like flats and bedsits . Alot of goods fail to reach the intended recipient due to slack delivery companies and post office !

vw55raz

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:26:59 am »
Another well known scam is when someone pulls up to you in a banged up Peugeot and asks if you wanna buy a laptop but instead in the laptop bag there's either bottles, some wood. Or even a yellow pages book.

Not happenned to me lol. Happenned to my cousin.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:51:24 pm »
and the warches/jewellery seller in the street selling out of the back of his car . Makes people think they are buying nicked gear cheap ! Happens every year fro the last 20 ! You're buying fake watches and "non gold" gold coloured chains soem even have hallmarks !

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »

Recorded only for cheap items.

As a general rule, I send anything over £100 by special delivery, which is insured.

Anything over £500 by courier.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:32:55 am »

Anything over £10 recorded, over £50 special delivery and over £500 courier, buyer pays for it anyway you may as well get peace of mind.

Recorded only for cheap items.

As a general rule, I send anything over £100 by special delivery, which is insured.

Anything over £500 by courier.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »
I once sold two RC cars on egay. Both were sent via special recorded delivery. One arrived fine. Message from buyer stating he didn't receive his. When I showed him the signature, he claimed it wasn't his! Pretty much bugger all I could do at that point but never refunded him. First and last time I ever sold anything on egay.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.