Make a donation

Author Topic: Just scrap it?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Just scrap it?
« on: August 08, 2012, 08:16:18 pm »
Not the Golf!

After two years, I gave my old mk4 1.25 1999 fiesta to my sister. She had it for four years. It's been sat on a family friend's driveway for the past few months. My sister never bothered with p/xing as she didn't think it was worth much. It's been sorned with no insurance/tax/mot on it.

Family friend now has a car of her own and would like to use her own driveway. Bodywork has seen better days (usual ford rust, which was repaired), some trim rattle but otherwise mechanically sound. Is it worth trying to flog it or just scrap it? If the latter, any ideas on how to arrange it (ensuring sister doesn't get penalised for anything?) and costs involved?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Re: Just scrap it?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »
Depends on Mot cost with a years mot its worth 500 600 quid to anyone but you could get 150 quid scrap for it if its going to want £££ spending on it! but if 100 quid would get it through then its well worth a mot as cheap cars are hard to come by after the scrap age scheme got a big chunk of them!
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »
I spoke to the garage I used to get it serviced at and they said it was worth MOTing it since they've done most of the work on it and say it should pass without issues. Just the hassle of involving DVLA/Insurance etc.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:19 pm »
Get it mot then sell it on

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:44 pm »
See if one of the lads their would buy it! iv bought a few cars now through the garage i work at that have either failed mot and they can not afford to fix it or have just asked if we know anyone who wants a cheap car! half my family and friends now have a cheap little car to bomb around in haha! reason why i bought the cars is i knew the history of the car so maybe one of the lads there knowing its history he could be interested! Mechanics are always looking for cheap cars specially if they know the cars history! Saves you any hassle then.
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
Many, many years ago my uncle pushed his broken Beetle off a cliff into a disused quarry. I've always though that would be strangely satisfying :grin:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »
scrappies will come and take it away you may get more than 150 for it as well, someone dumped a cavalier in communal car park where my mate stayed it lay there for god knows how long he spoke to the police who said cont dvla-who said it didnt have reg keeper he claimed it and promptly scrapped it for £200.

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:29:32 pm »
Kick out the interior, weld some scaffold tube inside and take it banger racing/demolition derby.  Then weigh the remains in for scrap.  Take lots of pics and enjoy the whiplash :)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »
another vote for track day car

put a V8 in it  :smiley:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:58:54 am »
If you decide to scrap it, rip the CAT off (I got 40 odd quid for one on its own) then take the battery out, you'll get about a tenner for this, then later on, have someone tow the car down to the scrapyard and you should get the standard scrap value for it...plus you've made a bit extra from the CAT and battery  :happy2: though some yards may not play ball if you remove the cat and battery round the corner from their gate  :grin:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)