Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk2 Golf Gti  (Read 1723 times)

Offline keano

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Mk2 Golf Gti
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:14:22 pm »
Evening guys,

The past few months or so I've been plucking up the courage to blow invest some money in a little Mk2 8v Gti.

There are absolutely all sorts on the likes of ebay, gumtree and pistonheads. Ranging from 50p to £10k+.

Now I'm only looking to spend less than £1000 so obviously it's going to have some serious issues with regards to rust, and general 30year wear and tear!

Does anyone have any advice for an absolute novice retro car wanna'be owner? I don't want it to be a concourse show stopper, just a fun little run about :)

:drinking:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Mk2 Golf Gti
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »
Lots of mk2 have loads of scene tax so are over priced so try not to fall into that game. Check the sills for rust and the chassis and if you can have a look behind the arches for rust, check the gearbox pull and drive smooth too and don't be afraid to ask the owner to jack the car up so you can get under it to check for rust and anything else also make sure the oil pressure lights are working as they should also make sure the plug leads to the oil filter housing are plugged in as they are for the oil pressure switch. Loads of other stuff too but mostly just what u should check in all cars

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:09 pm »
Lots of mk2 have loads of scene tax so are over priced so try not to fall into that game. Check the sills for rust and the chassis and if you can have a look behind the arches for rust, check the gearbox pull and drive smooth too and don't be afraid to ask the owner to jack the car up so you can get under it to check for rust and anything else also make sure the oil pressure lights are working as they should also make sure the plug leads to the oil filter housing are plugged in as they are for the oil pressure switch. Loads of other stuff too but mostly just what u should check in all cars

Cheers Mat!!  :drinking:

Yeah some of the 'scene taxed' cars actually make me laugh out loud with the prices. But each to their own I guess.

I've spotted this one so far...  :evilgrin:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:10 am »
Heater matrix(think thats what it's called?) can be a problem,lets go & covers the inside of the car with hot water!!!!!!.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »
i fancy an oak green 16v on a J plate.

maybe see if volkswizard can help you with a mint example?
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:43:37 pm »
The heater matrix was part of a VW recall. VW should of fitted 2 valves (1 black plastic and 1 silver alloy) on the water pipes that run through the bulk head to the matrix.
Fun bags

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
There are some good uns mate, but will probably need a fair bit work for that price ! If anyone was buying one for under a grand they would need to know how to fix things and be prepared to spend a bit of money ive seen a couple of decent / good examples for around £2500 and probably about the minimum spend if you dont want it to take up to much of your time.
Mine was around £1500 and its completely stripped to component form and needs alot of work doing, currently on hold until i get myself a welder as mat said sills are bad especially when people use self tappers to hold the trim on, fuel cap on mine was good but the filler neck holder is shot, both rear arches, spare wheel well, fuel pump hatch and battery tray all needs welding. On top of that i need wheel bearings, suspension, top mounts, all brakes really need replaced, all flexis, rear solid brake pipe, fuel tank straps, rubber window door seals, bushes fuel pump mounts, heater matrix, rocker gasket  and i could go on and on !!

Deffo something to think about before you buy !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:17 pm »
^^^ I know that feeling, mine was pretty much the same and went from this: -

To this: -

And end up like this: -

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »
i fancy an oak green 16v on a J plate.

maybe see if volkswizard can help you with a mint example?

Haha. Not if he wants to spend under £1k they can't!!

I've had 14 mk2s. Will have another!!!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:04 pm »
I've had 14 mk2s. Will have another!!!

Do you think your Polo GTI is closer to the original Golf GTI ethos than the current car?

Offline Alexis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »
I had a Mk2 8V Gti a few years back, I still miss it some days and like other people said I defo have another.