Make a donation

Author Topic: Alarm - windows down  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Alarm - windows down
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
Is there a way to leave the windows down a small amount - and still look the car with the remote without the alarm going off.
Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: Alarm - windows down
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
Yeah, on the drivers B pillar next to the seat there should be 2 buttons, ones to turn the interior sensors off and ones to turn off the anti lift. Before locking push the one interior sensor one and it should light up orange from red and then lock as normal

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:01:16 am »
The best way i think would be to press the little button on the B pillar at the side of the drivers seat. This disables the interior sensors. You can also do it when looking off the key with a double press but this takes the deadlocks off aswell.

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:26:26 am »
Yeah, on the drivers B pillar next to the seat there should be 2 buttons, ones to turn the interior sensors off and ones to turn off the anti lift. Before locking push the one interior sensor one and it should light up orange from red and then lock as normal

I think I just have the one button  - interior sensors - drivers b pillar quite low down.
Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:04:18 pm »
That's the one, press it before closing your door and locking the car.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »
It is one but it's like a rocker switch with a raised line in the middle, (it is on my gti) and iirc press the bottom and it does the anti lift and press the top for the interior sensors

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »
i must have a problem with my alarm then as i can leave the windows (3 door) down a little and tilt the sunroof lock the car then go to the shops without the alarm going off,
And witout disabling the interior alarm.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
i must have a problem with my alarm then as i can leave the windows (3 door) down a little and tilt the sunroof lock the car then go to the shops without the alarm going off,
And witout disabling the interior alarm.
Mines the same, although when you put your arm through it goes off

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »
^^^^
Gosh! I've had my GTI for 7 years, driven 100,000 miles and never noticed any buttons low down on the B-pillar!

Since fitting Climair wind n rain deflectors (I can strongly recommend them), I sometimes leave all 4 windows lowered a fraction but never below the bottom edge of each ClimAir. You can't easily see if the window is lowered at all.

I only ever do this if it's a very hot day and I'm staying in sight of my car.

I expect that an insurance company would say that even if the doors were locked, if you left any windows open, even a fraction, your claim against your car theft would become invalid.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
What's that got to do with insurance claims?

That's like saying if they smash a window to get in your claim is invalid.  :stupid:

Provided you don't leave the keys in the car then I see no problem, the car will be deadlocked and alarmed just without interior monitoring and with windows down a fraction.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »
I can't see there being a problem with a fraction as the window would still be required to be smashed. If the window is left fully open that's a different kettle of fish IMO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »

What's that got to do with insurance claims?

That's like saying if they smash a window to get in your claim is invalid.  :stupid:

Provided you don't leave the keys in the car then I see no problem, the car will be deadlocked and alarmed just without interior monitoring and with windows down a fraction.

....Why don't you stop and think, bother to read my post more carefully, before you call me stupid (:stupid:)?

I started my post with the words: "I expect that..." meaning I'm not certain but would not be surprised if...

My thinking is that POSSIBLY leaving any window down, even fractionally, is tantamount to leaving your car unsecured and inviting an easier break-in (leverage). Of course I may be wrong but I think it's a valid point worth raising in this discussion. I'm now inclined to actually ask my insurer about this specific question.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »

I can't see there being a problem with a fraction as the window would still be required to be smashed. If the window is left fully open that's a different kettle of fish IMO

....I think you are probably right  :happy2: However, I'm now curious and will call my insurer with the question in the morning.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »
....Why don't you stop and think, bother to read my post more carefully, before you call me stupid (:stupid:)?

Why you don't stop and think before posting so why should I.  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 03:53:15 pm »
^^^^
Well, everyone please take note:

According to my insurer (Highway): Whether deadlocked, with or without the alarm, leaving any of your windows open even fractions of an inch and including the sunroof, is deemed as you not fulfilling your responsibility for fully securing your car against theft. Leaving any window gap may assist a thief to break into your car. And therefore, an insurer might be justifiably within his rights to invalidate your claim. It may also depend on knowledge of the full circumstances on the day but they very strongly advise against the undeniable risk by leaving any window openings.