Make a donation

Author Topic: Alarm - windows down  (Read 3367 times)

h4rdy

Re: Alarm - windows down
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »
^^^^
Well, everyone please take note:

According to my insurer (Highway): Whether deadlocked, with or without the alarm, leaving any of your windows open even fractions of an inch and including the sunroof, is deemed as you not fulfilling your responsibility for fully securing your car against theft. Leaving any window gap may assist a thief to break into your car. And therefore, an insurer might be justifiably within his rights to invalidate your claim. It may also depend on knowledge of the full circumstances on the day but they very strongly advise against the undeniable risk by leaving any window openings.

Er am I missing something here?

Just don't tell them that you left the windows open!

You would be a right knob to do so!

'My car has been stolen and I left the windows open' cue huge gaffaw from the insurance office!

Whats with all the aggression at the moment anyway? How about some :love:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »
^^^^
It's entirely up to you what risks you are comfortable to take and how you behave subsequently.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility for an insurance expert to ascertain how the thief gained entry to your car and hence invalidate your claim if a window was able to be levered open because it was slightly down.

I'm only bothering to post in this thread in an attempt to help by pointing out such aspects. There's no aggression from me.  :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »
If they steal the car that ain't gonna happen either is it.

The only way they can steal the car is with the key or tow it away.

If they steal your radio I doubt they would bother for a couple of hundred quid.

:love:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
Regardless of the potential/possible insurance issue, why do anything (such as leaving any windows partly down/open) to assist a thief?

Unfortunately, in practice most people ignore a car alarm going off because we have become so used to false alarms.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »
Its not assisting a thief is it robin?

Its letting a bit of air in the car on a hot day?

Nobody is saying they leave the window open to 'assist a thief'!

Totally off topic now end of.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 12:44:32 am »

Its not assisting a thief is it robin?

Its letting a bit of air in the car on a hot day?

Nobody is saying they leave the window open to 'assist a thief'!

Totally off topic now end of.

....The topic is about leaving windows down and alarms. What are alarms for? - To alert you to some scumbag trying to get into your car uninvited. If scumbag sees a window gap, surely it presents him/her with an added option to gain entry. Whether you like it or not, it is your responsibility to do all you can to prevent theft - Read your insurance policy. It's also in your best interests.

Of course no-one leaves a window open with the intention of assisting a thief. Letting a bit of air in a parked car on a hot day is desirable, but it does increase the security risk - Just ask your insurer.

You can choose to leave windows open and then lie to your insurer (as you advocate) if you wish but I reckon you might wish you closed them if you had a theft. Windows up and alarm on is obviously more secure and also less inviting.

I've now contributed enough to this discussion so that folks can make up their own minds about how they want to leave their unattended cars.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 06:49:48 am »
It is one but it's like a rocker switch with a raised line in the middle, (it is on my gti) and iirc press the bottom and it does the anti lift and press the top for the interior sensors

Can you take a pic Nodz? I'm intrigued to see your switches.  :ashamed: I just have the one for the interior sensors. I use this when Bob is left in the car for a few minutes  :happy2:

It's a great feature. If I forget to press the button (with Bob inside) before locking the car, the Alarm always goes off.

i must have a problem with my alarm then as i can leave the windows (3 door) down a little and tilt the sunroof lock the car then go to the shops without the alarm going off,
And witout disabling the interior alarm.

It's easy to check. Basically sit in the car (no keys in ignition) sit still and lock yourself in. Then when you move the alarm should go off.  :wink:

Either that or put a dog inside and lock the door....again without pressing the button on the B pillar. The dog moving will set off the alarm.  :happy2:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 08:16:27 am »
I like Bob,cute dog. :smiley:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 08:38:14 am »
^^^^
Bob The Dog is a star! I love the VW emblem around his neck, the mark of a real enthusiast (or hardcore Beastie Boys fan), and look what he has done to the little guy who got into your car!  :grin:

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 08:48:53 am »
I will do monte, I'm in work til lunch so it won't be until this afternoon :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 09:00:23 am »

I will do monte, I'm in work til lunch so it won't be until this afternoon :happy2:

....That's not good enough! We want to see a pic now !!

:drinking:

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:20 pm »
Here's the pic of the switch in my car, sorry about the quality but sun was in the wrong place and was taken with my Iphone.

So this is the switch with nothing selected:

With interior sensors disabled:

With anti lift disabled:

With both disabled:

Once you taken the key out the ignition select which ones you want. Only thing is once one of them has been pressed it cannot be deselected so you have to lock then unlock the car