Make a donation

Author Topic: Life After the GTi  (Read 3388 times)

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
Re: Life After the GTi
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:33 pm »
I've had my GTI for over 3 1/2 years now and I still love it as much as the day I bought it, if not more! So no plans to sell (I'm pretty sure I would cry!), but I want a Maserati Gran Turismo before I'm 30 (got some saving to do lol) and I do like the 1M...

Saintsteve

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 05:48:37 pm »
In my 4th year of owning My Edition 30.. For me it would be perhaps a S3 Sportback s tonic, or Golf R but the R for me would be a silly trade, as my current car and R are essentially the same,all bar some electronic trickery to the rear wheels and having to hand over 15k plus my car, would be mad for my own financial position.. :sad1:

Very difficult as like so many others , she's too good to let go, and even next week whilst she's in Greeners Hands @DMR , a week without her will seem an eternity !

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 09:34:33 pm »
I've got this for a week as my MkV is in getting new wings FOC under warranty , wouldnt mind upgrading to a MkVI next , wont be an Ed35 tho and it will have a clutch pedal not DSG like this one.

2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 09:37:49 pm »
^^ Very nice,  The Mk6 shape has really started to grow on me now, it just has to have the right options and colour and that Ed35 looks spot on. How does it compare to your MK5?

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 09:55:12 pm »
Nodz , considering its 7 years newer and worth about 18 thousand pounds more than my MkV , it's very similar! What I like about the MkVI is it has all the interior things I'd like on mine , Touch screen Cd , Steering wheel controls , and MDI in the armrest. I'm not really keen on the DSG , I dont like the delay between putting the throttle down and the car reacting , I'd have to have a manual , I can still notice the extra 35PS , but its not THAT much faster imho. Like you though , I'm starting to like the styling a lot and could see myself in a White 3 door Manual GTI with 18s , Leather, RCD , MF Wheel and MDI!

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »

My fave Mk6 is Wigit's Ed35. :drool:

That's what I'd go for, if not an R. Although the R would be better all year round as a 4wd.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:47 pm »
I would love an R , and could get one cheaper than the list of this Ed35 , mind you its just ticked over onto 1000 miles today , and the R would be 2 years older and have 20 times the milage on!

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »
had my RS now nearly 18 months and im still loving it, still miss certain things about the Gti which is a great car but variety is the spice of life and all that  :happy2:

etto and what ever makes them happy i say.

wouldnt mind an rs3 myself but cant quite justify the cost over the FRS..... yet
Still Here!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 12:59:22 am »
^^^^
Too many folks who have driven the RS3 describe it as dull or bland unless it is modified.

Although I haven't driven either the Ed35 or Golf R, I would pick the Golf R without hesitation every time. I'm not a fan of the Ed35 styling and I don't much like the Mk6 GTI if unmodified.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Nasir

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:02 am »
^^^^
Too many folks who have driven the RS3 describe it as dull or bland unless it is modified.

Although I haven't driven either the Ed35 or Golf R, I would pick the Golf R without hesitation every time. I'm not a fan of the Ed35 styling and I don't much like the Mk6 GTI if unmodified.

I definitely wouldn't call it dull or bland, it's a hoot and it makes you laugh just like the GTI does. Point and squirt as I call it, you choose the direction you want to go, put your foot down and without any drama it lifts off immediately into the horizon. Oh and it sounds epic. Loads of fun.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 06:32:19 am »
I reckon ill end up with something non VAg in the next year.  Probably Renault or Ford based.

Although the new Astra VXR 280 looks to be an impressive piece of kit and has that 100,000mile warranty!!

I want something that is still pretty tunable, but can also utilise that power without having to spend 4k on chassis and brake modifications.

That said if a really well priced, modified S3 reared its head, id probably snap it right up!!

Saintsteve

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 07:28:20 am »
I reckon ill end up with something non VAg in the next year.  Probably Renault or Ford based.

Although the new Astra VXR 280 looks to be an impressive piece of kit and has that 100,000mile warranty!!

I want something that is still pretty tunable, but can also utilise that power without having to spend 4k on chassis and brake modifications.

That said if a really well priced, modified S3 reared its head, id probably snap it right up!!

I can wager that warranty will go out the window if you even put a go faster sticker on the VX.   You cannot do nothing to the car without them pulling the plug on it. VW are now starting to tighten up on warrantys it would seem if you start to do things like remaps etc that aren't supported by VW in the 1st place  :sad1:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 08:07:38 am »
id expect the engine warranty to go out the window just as it would with any other manufacturer, but it would maintain the full chassis and brake warranty because its pretty well setup as stock.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:26 am »

I can wager that warranty will go out the window if you even put a go faster sticker on the VX.   You cannot do nothing to the car without them pulling the plug on it. VW are now starting to tighten up on warrantys it would seem if you start to do things like remaps etc that aren't supported by VW in the 1st place  :sad1:

....Was chatting with John Hurdy about this at the weekend: The ECU's are getting more and more difficult for tuners to remap and in some countries it's now illegal to tune and/or mod. The trouble with buying a  car which has high enough performance standard out of the box is that it's much more expensive and also doesn't have much individuality. Hey! A ride isn't just transport from A to B but is a fun chariot!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 08:39:22 am »
Just sold my ED30 and bought a MK6 R. :pomppomp:
............Trev,was your's the white one on the black rims with the guys on this site at the Harewood show yesterday?. Looked very nice. :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:03:39 am by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.