Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearings  (Read 9730 times)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
Front Wheel Bearings
« on: August 02, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
Hit a wretched "speed hump" while driving at night.  It wasn't prominent and I went over it faster than I would normally.  :driver:

Soon after that incident I'm getting a whirring noise coming from the front wheels which I suspect is down to one of the wheel bearings.

Can someone post the OEM part nos for both o/s and n/s please.  Also, any recommendations of where I can get them from at a good price would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
Re: Front Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »
UPDATE: Got both wheel bearings replaced as it was difficult to determine which one was making the noise - not cheap.  This is the second set that I have put in.  Fortunately the first pair was covered under warranty, but this time round it cost a small fortune.

I guess the eibach springs and lowering the car puts extra strain and wear on the bearings.  Is there anything I can do to counter this, may be install different shocks?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:34:27 pm »
Hi,

Could you elaborate on the whirring noise please... I'm not exactly the most gentle of drivers at the best of times with some of the speed breakers around here and pot holes and I'm still on what must be the original wheel bearings after 162,000miles! Got awful wheel drone noise and dunno if I should go ahead and just get the lot replaced...

cheers
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:19:42 am »
From your description it sounds like the wheel bearings.  Other symptoms that I noticed and may be worth looking out for are:

• if you drive the car in neutral the noise is still there
  • you get a slight vibration in the foot well
  • as the wheel bearing loses oil you can also get a bit of squeeking noise when you drive the car between 5 - 10 m/ph
  • the biggest give away is the constant drone/humming/whirring noise though

If you can put the car on a ramp sometimes you can see there is play/movement around the wheel bearing.

Each wheel bearing is around £120 + fitting cost

Hope this helps.

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »
From your description it sounds like the wheel bearings.  Other symptoms that I noticed and may be worth looking out for are:

• if you drive the car in neutral the noise is still there
  • you get a slight vibration in the foot well
  • as the wheel bearing loses oil you can also get a bit of squeeking noise when you drive the car between 5 - 10 m/ph
  • the biggest give away is the constant drone/humming/whirring noise though

If you can put the car on a ramp sometimes you can see there is play/movement around the wheel bearing.

Each wheel bearing is around £120 + fitting cost

Hope this helps.

Many thanks,  :smiley:

I've had it up on a ramp, the weird thing is there's zeeeero play in the tyres whatsoever! Got new bushes, new arb links just these left.

Did you fit genuine or from motor factors? Theres a DIY on the golfmkv forums, looks easy enough...might have a go when I do my brake discs...

:happy2:
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:23 pm »
Thats very expensive, dealer prices are quite high :(

just looking on ebay you can get them for about 50 quid each and looking how they fit on i would say quite easy ish to fit, hardest bit will be undoing the rusted in drive shaft bolt.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:23:10 pm »
Can you post links to the parts on motor factors and ebay for me to take a look please.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
Can you post links to the parts on motor factors and ebay for me to take a look please.

well i'm going on this number which covers most golfs from 2004 to 2009

1T0498621 so i did a search on ebay and came up with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=1T0498621&_sacat=0

but i'd rather know your year and engine code to totally check, fyi its the same for both sides
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »
My car is a late 2008 and I think the engine code starts with BWA.

It's a bit late now that I have fitted the bearings, but for future I guess I could save up to £40 for each front bearing.

Thanks a million.