Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear wiper arm misaligned in rest position  (Read 728 times)

Shoggothy

Rear wiper arm misaligned in rest position
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:04:56 pm »
Hi there - I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping some kind person out there can help...

The rear wiper arm on my Golf no longer sits horizontally when in its rest position, and instead sits slightly elevated. I'd like to re-seat it back to the correct position.

I've had a look, popped off the plastic 'cup' cover where the water jet is located and undone the nut in the hope that this would release the arm. Of course it didn't release and the arm wouldn't move. I was rather loathe to try and force it, on the assumption that there's something else holding it in place.

Can anyone suggest where I'm going wrong and if there's something else I need to do?

Many thanks!

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Rear wiper arm misaligned in rest position
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:04 pm »
Once the nut is off there is nothing holding the arm other than friction/corrosion (spindle is steel and the 'bush' in the wiper arm is alloy - never a good mix where they can get wet!).  I'm afraid there is nothing more you can do other than to pull hard on the arm.  Try to avoid levering against the glass as you will most likely break it.  Try getting a large enough spanner under the arm so you can pull up on something smooth to avoid hurting your fingers.

Hope this helps!
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline brough74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »
You can buy a removal tool off ebay and try that ?

I had the same issue when my washer jet went, eventually after trying everything i hacksawed if off. The new one i fitted with some copper grease and bought the puller ive mentioned so hopefully i wont have any future issues
PEARL DIAMOND BLACK 3dr GTI
HEATED LEATHER,MULTI FUNCTION WHEEL,
18” MONZA ALLOYS, XENON HEADLIGHTS, FLAT TYRE INDICATOR
LUX PACK AND WINTER PACK
SHARAN AERIAL, GTI TAX DISC HOLDER, R32 REAR LIGHTS
VW RACING FRONT SPOILER

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:02:06 pm »
+1 for the copper grease!  Forgot that bit in my post so well reminded!  :happy2:
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Shoggothy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:23:57 am »
Ok thanks everyone - at least I know now that it's just the nut holding the arm on. I'll try persuading it with some WD40  :smiley: