Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge or ITG Intake  (Read 5107 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Forge or ITG Intake
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:06 am »

Catch cans are snake oil on a road car.

Stick with the PCV.

....CatchCan system? - I'm very happy with mine by Forge but wasn't with the BSH. Not sure if I would have bothered if buying now - Forum opinions are very split. But I wouldn't go as far as calling them "snake oil". They REDUCE, not stop, the amount of nasty stuff, even on a performance modified road car, and surely that can't be a bad thing. A good one such as by Forge is expensive though.

Review:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16343.0.html

I think the OEM PCV has been revised - I wonder why?  :popcornsoda:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Marshall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 10:01:55 am »
If you meant where did I get it, it was from a forum member with the maxogen part as well.

But VWR, Awesome and APR sell it as well.
Well don't think I'll be buying one of them.
I wouldn't pay £441 for an intake.
It would need to be gold plated.

Sent from my iPhone
MISANO RED RS3

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:16:00 am »

....Just be grateful you don't run a BMW and fancy an aftermarket intake. Prices are all relative and depend on what money you have spare to spend.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
i read somewhere on the forum that the Forge WinTake is due to be released in the UK soon. if US prices are anything to go by they'll be around £100 cheaper than the TwinTake, and considering it's the same piece of kit but without the (most likely pointless*) second intake it should give you exactly the same increased airflow as the TwinTake but cheaper

*i call it pointless as the two intakes still feed into an inlet pipe with a smaller diameter, meaning that the air flow is restricted to that of a single intake at the point of convergence. i'm no expert in flow dynamics, but i'd imagine that the WinTake and TwinTake will have a negligible difference in performance on this basis.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

i read somewhere on the forum that the Forge WinTake is due to be released in the UK soon. if US prices are anything to go by they'll be around £100 cheaper than the TwinTake, and considering it's the same piece of kit but without the (most likely pointless*) second intake it should give you exactly the same increased airflow as the TwinTake but cheaper

*i call it pointless as the two intakes still feed into an inlet pipe with a smaller diameter, meaning that the air flow is restricted to that of a single intake at the point of convergence. i'm no expert in flow dynamics, but i'd imagine that the WinTake and TwinTake will have a negligible difference in performance on this basis.

....As you can no doubt imagine, when news of the Forge Twintake first hit the forums in America where it was also being tested and developed, there were loud and widespread doubts expressed about the side fed pipe and also the air convergence. Forge USA explained all about the airflow and filter surface areas etc and I have included that info in my Review (linked in this thread earlier).

The fact as I understand it is, illogical as it may seem to be to a layman, Forge's tests show that the Twintake delivers more power than the single pipe Wintake. I had long phone chats with Forge about this and they told me then that they had tried a single pipe version and might release it later as a cheaper alternative - This is the Wintake.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17:54 am »

I don't know how the twintakes get good flow the filters really are tiny IMO

....As I understand it, it's all about maximising the air filter surface area (as well as the pipework, maf, etc). Note how comparitively massive the EVOMS cone surface area is. The surface area total of the Twintake's two relatively small filter cones add up to a bigger area than most single cones.

Being enclosed, and hence reducing noise escape, I expect that the new ITG offering has a much smaller filter and surface area than their open Maxogen. So, it ought to deliver less power but I don't know any stats.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:24:49 am by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
^^^^
Btw, I'd just like to make it clear that although I have worked closely with Forge from time to time and have written a review, I am not trying to persuade everyone that the Forge Twintake is the best intake available out there. I'm just reporting my own satisfaction in the context of my individual car's mods and trying to objectively contribute info and help to this discussion.

As I listed earlier, we each buy an aftermarket intake (or not) to satisfy our own tickboxes.  :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:04 am »

The fact as I understand it is, illogical as it may seem to be to a layman, Forge's tests show that the Twintake delivers more power than the single pipe Wintake. I had long phone chats with Forge about this and they told me then that they had tried a single pipe version and might release it later as a cheaper alternative - This is the Wintake.

playing devil's advocate for a minute, are these the same Forge tests that show no power loss with the DV spacer? as i'm sure you can appreciate RR it makes sound business sense to sell two identical items but one for £100 more and try and convince the buying public that that extra £100 is worth it as they're somehow getting more.

even if Forge's tests are right, what sort of extra power are we talking? 2-3bhp peak power? i remain cynical tbh.
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:35 pm »

playing devil's advocate for a minute, are these the same Forge tests that show no power loss with the DV spacer? as i'm sure you can appreciate RR it makes sound business sense to sell two identical items but one for £100 more and try and convince the buying public that that extra £100 is worth it as they're somehow getting more.

even if Forge's tests are right, what sort of extra power are we talking? 2-3bhp peak power? i remain cynical tbh.

....Nothing wrong in playing Devil's Advocate - In fact it's good for the forum when posts are challenged (if done so politely and without calling each other stupid).

At the time I discussed (in numerous phone calls) the Twintake with Forge there was no intention on their part to offer a single pipe version. The single pipe version at that time was just an additional prototype to see if the more expensive to produce Twintake was the best way forward. Without sufficient gains, Forge said they would not produce it - That applies to most aftermarket performance product manufacturers.

I'm afraid that I don't remember the exact performance comparisons and I don't want to stab at it and get it wrong.

I take your point about Forge's DV spacer but don't know enough about it to comment in depth but suggest that if it is a widespread common problem, why hasn't the product either been withdrawn or modified? Do we know for 100% certain that those reported were properly fitted?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:36 pm »

....Nothing wrong in playing Devil's Advocate - In fact it's good for the forum when posts are challenged (if done so politely and without calling each other stupid).

At the time I discussed (in numerous phone calls) the Twintake with Forge there was no intention on their part to offer a single pipe version. The single pipe version at that time was just an additional prototype to see if the more expensive to produce Twintake was the best way forward. Without sufficient gains, Forge said they would not produce it - That applies to most aftermarket performance product manufacturers.

I'm afraid that I don't remember the exact performance comparisons and I don't want to stab at it and get it wrong.

I take your point about Forge's DV spacer but don't know enough about it to comment in depth but suggest that if it is a widespread common problem, why hasn't the product either been withdrawn or modified? Do we know for 100% certain that those reported were properly fitted?

i remember one of our resident tuners (tho i can't remember which) mentioning that he'd seen a few cars that were down on power due to the DV spacer. his wording suggested it was the spacer itself, and not fitting issues.

it would be interesting to see back to back dyno tests of the TwinTake and the WinTake on the same car. i'd be shocked if there was a difference, but i've been wrong before...

h4rdy

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »
If you meant where did I get it, it was from a forum member with the maxogen part as well.

But VWR, Awesome and APR sell it as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Yes its expensive but IMHO its the best one yet.