Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Number Plate Mount  (Read 10827 times)

Offline Manu_R32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Front Number Plate Mount
« on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:39 pm »
Any chance any one on here knows how to remove the number plate mounting? Got some new black plates for the car and think it would look abit nicer without the mounting as the front plate is also slighly smaller!  :happy2:

OSIR Front and Rear Diffuser - JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier - JL Audio ZR650 - Recaro Bucket Seats - JL Audio Stealthbox - JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier - Kenwood DNX 7200 - OZ Ultraleggeras!

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Front Number Plate Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 04:36:54 pm »
Any chance any one on here knows how to remove the number plate mounting? Got some new black plates for the car and think it would look abit nicer without the mounting as the front plate is also slighly smaller!  :happy2:

You have to take off the front grille (easy peasy four screws) then push the circular plastic clip on the back of the grille that hold on the plate holder through (you'll see what I mean once the grills off) then you can pop the clips holding the plate holder on out!  :happy2:

Call me if you want a clearer explanation Manu!  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:35 pm »

You have to take off the front grille (easy peasy four screws) then push the circular plastic clip on the back of the grille that hold on the plate holder through (you'll see what I mean once the grills off) then you can pop the clips holding the plate holder on out!  :happy2:

Call me if you want a clearer explanation Manu!  :happy2:

P.S. You will need to remove the Number plate first!  :wink:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:09:16 pm »
Or you can remove the number plate and just drill the clips out from the front without taking any of the grilles off!  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:11:30 pm »
Or you can remove the number plate and just drill the clips out from the front without taking any of the grilles off!  :smiley:

Trust me it would be more effort! The front grille is soooooo easy to take off!  :wink:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 05:12:31 pm »

Trust me it would be more effort! The front grille is soooooo easy to take off!  :wink:

Fair enough, had I known about the ease of removing the front grille I would have probably done it that way!  :signLOL:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:15:39 pm »

Fair enough, had I known about the ease of removing the front grille I would have probably done it that way!  :signLOL:

By the time you had plugged in the drill and sorted the bit out it would be off! It's just a few screws. I take mine off now when Im waxing as I don't have to worry about getting wax on the plastics!  :rolleye:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:57 pm »

By the time you had plugged in the drill and sorted the bit out it would be off! It's just a few screws. I take mine off now when Im waxing as I don't have to worry about getting wax on the plastics!  :rolleye:

That's outstanding attention to detail!!!  8) 8) 8)

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 05:22:24 pm »

That's outstanding attention to detail!!!  8) 8) 8)

You know me Chris!  :wink:

Offline Manu_R32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:20:23 am »
Thanks for the replies guys! Although...the number plate which i have for the front is slightly smaller than the normal ones and i think there will be some holes on the grills...i do know about the hole-less grill available in the US but is there another i can go about covering these holes?  :smiley:

OSIR Front and Rear Diffuser - JL Audio 400/4 Amplifier - JL Audio ZR650 - Recaro Bucket Seats - JL Audio Stealthbox - JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier - Kenwood DNX 7200 - OZ Ultraleggeras!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:58:51 am »
I too did the same as whiteGTI and drilled out my plugs...
never tried to take the grille piece out  :ashamed:

vinyl wrap or blanking plugs from a DIY store can be used with varying levels of success...
either that or fit 2 bullet cams  :surprised:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 06:56:28 am »
Black plate would look cool. They're not uk legal though are they? We're not allowed style over here. :-(

Offline southy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:35:51 pm »
is there another i can go about covering these holes?  :smiley:

all I did mate was take the grille to a bodyshop and they filled the 4 holes and sprayed it for £30

its cheap enough to be done. or have you thought about getting a "euro-style" plate holder?

Offline Manu_R32

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 02:15:31 am »
is there another i can go about covering these holes?  :smiley:

all I did mate was take the grille to a bodyshop and they filled the 4 holes and sprayed it for £30

its cheap enough to be done. or have you thought about getting a "euro-style" plate holder?

Cant beleive I did not think of that! Gonna check out some body shops and see how it goes...maybe try and get some new pics of my car up aswell.

Thanks Guys!  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »
Spraying won't be so easy on your grill Manu unless your happy to lose the brushed aluminium effect?