Make a donation

Author Topic: In need of a decent camera, recomendations.  (Read 3229 times)

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
In need of a decent camera, recomendations.
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
Hi guys, i know a few of you on here are into your photography,  so i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a decent digital slr for a beginner. Would it be advisable to buy something more higher end to start with, then as i progress wouldn't be shelling out twice? Or is the higher end stuff too complicated for a total novice. All comments and help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance. :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: In need of a decent camera, recomendations.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:33:07 pm »
As long as you aren't a technophobe and are prepared to read a handbook/manual, no camera is too complicated for a novice. With digital you can afford to shoot as many frames as you like and you'll soon learn what does what to the result.

First think what pics you think you'll want a camera for. If action, do not buy a compact. Should it be easy to carry around with you? etc etc.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »
Hi robin, not bothered about it being compact. I have been taking great interest in a lot of the photos that are posted on here and must say i am in awe of some of them, simply jaw dropping. I have always appreciated a good "shot" and would love something that captures those sort of shots too. As far as what it would be used for , well, anything and everything really.  :happy2:

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:07 pm »
I'd class myself as an enthusiastic novice. I've got a Canon Eos 550d and I think it's awesome  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »

Hi robin, not bothered about it being compact. I have been taking great interest in a lot of the photos that are posted on here and must say i am in awe of some of them, simply jaw dropping. I have always appreciated a good "shot" and would love something that captures those sort of shots too. As far as what it would be used for , well, anything and everything really.  :happy2:

....Then you have already got the most important thing and are at base camp: An eye for what makes a good shot. But whereas it's great to chase pin-sharp perfection don't let it stop you from just capturing those moments on camera whether technically perfect or not. A great camera doesn't necessarily make someone into a great photographer, but it can help. Look at TopCat's work: He started off taking okay pics on an average camera but then got a better camera and also developed his own natural talent much further.

The most technically perfect photog on here I think is Rich Wigley but there are some other close contenders.

The 'emotion' that a photo captures and conveys is everything. IMO.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:02:29 pm »

Hi robin, not bothered about it being compact. I have been taking great interest in a lot of the photos that are posted on here and must say i am in awe of some of them, simply jaw dropping. I have always appreciated a good "shot" and would love something that captures those sort of shots too. As far as what it would be used for , well, anything and everything really.  :happy2:

....Then you have already got the most important thing and are at base camp: An eye for what makes a good shot. But whereas it's great to chase pin-sharp perfection don't let it stop you from just capturing those moments on camera whether technically perfect or not. A great camera doesn't necessarily make someone into a great photographer, but it can help. Look at TopCat's work: He started off taking okay pics on an average camera but then got a better camera and also developed his own natural talent much further.

The most technically perfect photog on here I think is Rich Wigley but there are some other close contenders.

The 'emotion' that a photo captures and conveys is everything. IMO.
Cheers matey. So do you have any ideas on which camera i should be looking at?

Saintsteve

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:06:11 pm »
I brought a Nikon d3100 dslr which is a good starters camera if you want use different lenses for different types of photo taking. Absolutely love mine. Money well spent  :happy2:

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:24:09 pm »
I am in the same situation mate, currently looking at the Canon EOS 600D to start me off. Havent been steered away from it yet but not yet got all the pennies.

My old man currently has a Nikon but is hopefully going to go Canon next which will be a bonus as we can share lenses that way!

To help the OP is there any recomendation of where to buy?
Anyone used online sites like Big Norman? http://www.bignorman.com/DigitalSLRs/

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »
Been reading about the nikon d3200. Seems a decent starting point and not a bad price

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »
Use dpreview.com to try to think about features you'd want, read the reviews. Consider buying secondhand higher spec camera rather than low-spec brand new but check shutter actuations.

Go to Jessops or similar and try out the cameras in your hand. See which feels most natural and comfortable to use, with minimum of fuss.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 09:49:10 pm »
Exactly as stealthwolf advises: It's like test driving a car - Get the one which feels right. Nikon or Canon are the established big names.

And http://www.dpreview.com is definitely a site to check out.

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »
When 'feeling' the camera, it may also be worth trying one with a battery grip attachment.

I have one, mainly for the additional battery life and it feels much more 'manly'. I really dislike the feel of the camera without it on, as it feels too small....

As others have said, head down to a local camera store and try some out  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:34:34 pm »

When 'feeling' the camera, it may also be worth trying one with a battery grip attachment.

I have one, mainly for the additional battery life and it feels much more 'manly'. I really dislike the feel of the camera without it on, as it feels too small....

.... :laugh: I've never ever thought of any camera as being 'manly' or not. I've heard of long camera lenses being called penis extensions though!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »
The lens is more important than the camera. The lens you get with most of them is a zoom 18-55mm or similar . They are worth about £70 !

Get a good lens and any recent DSLR will suffice initially a 1000d is a good start even a 450d second hand and spend the most on the lens . A good lens never really wears out either , can be yours for life .
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD