Make a donation

Author Topic: Is anyone interested in a group buy for custom sub enclosures? MK5 and MK6  (Read 5614 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
Ive added some blurb in the first post about adding an amp and sub.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
fernando010 - r32oc
n692000 - r32oc
joedarka - mk5golfgti
reded30 - mk5golfgti
dan.b - mk5golfgti
nathangallo - mk5golfgti
dandav1985 - talkaudio
Wilmott1980 - mk5golfgti

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
ok this is definitely going ahead now.

will set up a proper group buy thread tomorrow with full details and paypal link etc.

any more interest?

and can those with their name on the list confirm a def yes or no?

Thanks
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
There's no way I can afford this for a while now mate.  :sad1:

My debit cards have almost melted from over use since June.

Got to let em cool down for a bit  :ashamed:

....any dates/deadlines on the GB?

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Apologies for hijacking your thread, but I see people asking the same questions.

Hey guys, if it helps, I am putting together a package for the Golf GTi / R32 to upgrade the factory speakers with amp and Audiocontrol (others available) line out converter unit. Give me a few days and I will have details and pricing. This would then allow you to wire up the sub too. I will be getting in touch with the mods for a GB on this too. The sub box would make life a lot easier to install the sub then.

I will be doing this to my Jetta over the next week, but going to forgo the sub for now.

Keep me informed on this please....

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
There's no way I can afford this for a while now mate.  :sad1:

My debit cards have almost melted from over use since June.

Got to let em cool down for a bit  :ashamed:

....any dates/deadlines on the GB?

Not yet but want to get it moving as quick as possible for the first batch of 5 so he can start making and people that have paid now can get delivery asap.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
Just an update for this for those who were asking about the pre out.

I finally managed to test the system properly today after a few issues which turned out to be a blown hertz bass speaker. For the test I used a couple of other 6.5 drivers which arent as good as the HV165L but I just protected them by upping the high pass freq level. Replacements are on route and I'll then be able to run a HPF between 60 - 70Hz

Note to others... dont try giving your new speakers over 150w of full range frequency :)  :fighting:

Anyway... I also borrowed a cheap 10" sub enclosure until the custom one arrives.

The result... amazing!!

The bass is now really punchy and crisp. Previously I was just running all OEM cabin speakers and an Infinity basslink active sub that was tapped off the rear channels. It sounded good but this is leagues ahead.

My friend has a £4k system in his golf and this sounds nearly as good as that (he is running multiple amps and rainbow speakers etc)

For about £800 with bits off ebay im dead chuffed

Im currently running it from the Audiocontrol LC2i which is a 2ch-in 4ch-out hi-low converter. This also has their 'bass roll off' compensation circuit but TBH im not sure the RCD510 actually rolls the bass off so i've got this turned off at the moment. I'll test more with proper instruments when its all 100% installed with the replacement speakers and proper sub enclosure.

I did try it with my LC6i aswell and it sounded just as good. This doesnt have the bass compensation but like I say, im not sure this is even needed now so I'm not missing anything and I only need 2 channels anyway so the LC6i is for sale for definite.

The Audiocontrol LOCs can give up to 9.5v pre out but i found this a bit too much actually so have them turned down a bit to give a 4v pre out (checked with multimeter). This is the usual pre out voltage of decent aftermarket headunits anyway and you can then use the gain / input sensitivity on the amps to fine tune the levels.

I actually need to reinstall the autoleads one that i have laying around aswell and test the voltage output and sound from that.

In terms of installation... if your just adding a sub but keeping the cabin speakers running from the headunit you need to tap into the rear speaker output from the back of the headunit (but obviously dont cut it completely as then you will have no rear speaker output). Then run this feed to the LOC (line out converter) of your choice and then run the pre out to the amp of your choice and in turn to the sub. This way you then have a bit of sub control by fading your headunit forwards and backwards.

If your upgrading the front speakers and running them off a new amp then cut the front speaker output from the back of the OEM headunit and run these to the LOC. If your using the LC2i or LC6i this will then give you a pre out for the front speakers AND a pre out for the sub. You will then need either 1x4ch amp or 2x2ch amps or 1x2ch and 1xmono amps so you can amplify the fronts and the sub.

Hope that helps people.

Offline vik2001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
this sounds good - is anyone going to be offering to do a full install.
im after something that would just work just with the standard head unit :)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
this sounds good - is anyone going to be offering to do a full install.
im after something that would just work just with the standard head unit :)

If you didnt want to install yourself you'd need to get a car audio place to do it for you.

Its all pretty simple though with the parts ive listed above.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Whereabouts are you Vik?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members