Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI Engine Replacement  (Read 19019 times)

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
MK5 GTI Engine Replacement
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:32 am »
HELP !

Just had the oil pump go on my MK5 GTi, and I think the engine has had it  :sad1:

It was a AXX code engine, and I am now looking for a replcement engine.
Will the BWA code engine drop in with no problems ?

Anyone know of an engine on sale ?

Thanks for you time

AndyS.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: MK5 GTI Engine Replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:29 am »
there's a BWA for sale on Edition 38 without the intercooler. 55k miles. the seller wants £2k ono for it because it's got all the other ancillaries (turbo etc.) still attached. you can always sell on your old parts too, fuel pump etc. to recoup some of the value

i don't suppose the "swannies" bit of the email address on your profile indicates that you're from Swansea? the seller is located in Cardiff.

i've PM'ed you the seller's number.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:26:14 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:25 am »
there's a BWA for sale on Edition 38 without the intercooler. 55k miles

Thanks mate , will the BWA fit ok without any mods ?

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:12 am »
mechanically it should do i believe, but with it being a new engine to your car there will be a bit of a mess about with the immobiliser (which would still be the case if you went for an AXX). you need to make sure that you get someone who knows what he's doing to fit it
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:33:00 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:38:47 am »
there's a BWA for sale on Edition 38 without the intercooler. 55k miles. the seller wants £2k ono for it because it's got all the other ancillaries (turbo etc.) still attached. you can always sell on your old parts too, fuel pump etc. to recoup some of the value

i don't suppose the "swannies" bit of the email address on your profile indicates that you're from Swansea? the seller is located in Cardiff.

2k :scared: you could prob pick an ed30 lump up for that.

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »
 It should slot in without any immobiliser issues AFAIK, there are just sensors to connect up.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
HELP !

Just had the oil pump go on my MK5 GTi, and I think the engine has had it  :sad1:

Thanks for you time

AndyS.

Had exactly the same as you happen a few weeks ago it's a blady bitch. Just for info where you driving when it happened and did vibrate a lot

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 06:10:57 pm »
What happened? Did the oil can light come on ( oil pressure symbol ) and it was turned off or was it driven till it stopped?
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:24:22 pm »
HELP !

Just had the oil pump go on my MK5 GTi, and I think the engine has had it  :sad1:

Thanks for you time

AndyS.

The AXX and BWA have different compression ratios , I believe. There may be other subtle differences, inc different engine mapping.

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:33:41 pm »
What happened? Did the oil can light come on ( oil pressure symbol ) and it was turned off or was it driven till it stopped?
Don't no if that was at me but mine I pulled on to the dual carriage way gave a lil gas then the car just click and started shaking and a noise like rubber vibrating. no lights on the dash car was still boosting so I thought must be an engine mount gone so drove it straight to my friends garage which I wish I didn't now :fighting: who took it out to see what the problem was and the oil light came on as he took it out and switch the car straight off so it got towed home. Then my warranty people have had it since I'm not 100% but I think they said the cam shaft was blue so signs of overheating, the oil pump was destroyed, bearing gone, crank needed regrinding

keendean

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:59 pm »
Why are these oil pumps failing? Is it 'another' common fault? Has the original part been superceeded? How much is a new one if the part has a new rev code?

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »
Why are these oil pumps failing? Is it 'another' common fault? Has the original part been superceeded? How much is a new one if the part has a new rev code?

I phoned up vw and they said a few have gone but as I'm out of vw warrenty they were only MAYBE gonna to give me a good will but I have to pay for inspection, a flatbed to get the car there and to pay for the strip down of the engine. I told them its not right for a 2007 with 49,000 fully serviced to go like that just lucky I got warrenty else where they wanted 4k fitted just for the block  :sick:

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 07:30:24 pm »

I phoned up vw and they said a few have gone but as I'm out of vw warrenty they were only MAYBE gonna to give me a good will but I have to pay for inspection, a flatbed to get the car there and to pay for the strip down of the engine. I told them its not right for a 2007 with 49,000 fully serviced to go like that just lucky I got warrenty else where they wanted 4k fitted just for the block  :sick:

They should 100% percent give you some good will for yours! Thats not good! get in touch with VW UK if they refuse to help as at 49000 she's barely stretched her legs!

Unless you have remaped the car of coarse then they wont haha
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 08:07:52 pm »
Out of interest how often was the oil changed?
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:09 pm »

I was driving at slow speed on a main road when the engine started making a strange noise, I slowed down and the oil pressure light came on. I put the car in neutral and rolled to a place I could stop and the engine stopped

At the garage being examined, the car was an 05 plate with only 51k miles on the clock

Don't think VW will be helping me with this !