Make a donation

Author Topic: Focal 165A4 Components  (Read 5546 times)

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
Focal 165A4 Components
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:55 pm »
Thinking of running a amp and sub with these speakers  they are 3 way components anyone got any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focal-Access-165A3-160-Watts-17cm-6-5-3-Way-Component-Car-Speakers-System-/261073396162?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cc92fe1c2

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: Focal 165A4 Components
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:06 pm »
Excellent speakers, I will be fitting the P165 3 ways to my car soon. If you hold on I will be trying to arrange a group buy along with amp, etc.

These are the ones I will hopefully be running:

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-sound/speakers-drivers/3-way-kits/p-165-v33.php

If not these, then the ones you have listed.

What HU are you running? You may need a line out converter for it if it's the standard unit to get best the best SQ or run an amp with speaker level inputs.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:14:41 am »
Think u need te 165vr3 model the mids are 45mm deep perfect for the mk5 doorcard.

Am wantign to wire up the speakers amp and sub to my rns 510 so any help wud be much appreciated?

Do i need a speaker line out splitter thin or soem thing?

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:57:42 am »
When is the groupbuy starting & do you have any rough idea on prices mate

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:01:17 am »
what group buy?

wud this 4ch converter with remote wire be ok?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pacsoem4-four-channel-converter.html

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:06:03 am »
Think u need te 165vr3 model the mids are 45mm deep perfect for the mk5 doorcard.

Am wantign to wire up the speakers amp and sub to my rns 510 so any help wud be much appreciated?

Do i need a speaker line out splitter thin or soem thing?

3 Ways you can go with the RNS510. You can fit an LOC like that or you can get a full on DSP unit which will smooth the outputs coming from the RNS and provide a pure signal to the AMP, or finally you can buy an amp which accepts hi-level inputs.

For the best sound, you would want to go for a DSP unit. The voltage from LOC units is very low compared to using conventional Pre-outs, plus the signal still carries all the processing engineered in by the factory to their HU's, this being the worst option. I tried the LOC route before and was amazed at the difference in sound when I switched to a proper DSP unit.

My system will be using the Audison Bit 10D, along with 2 Audison 4 channel amps to get the best sound, one amp running the fronts and 1 running the rears and sub.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:06:55 am »

I need to get it past the Admins first and then I can let you know. Hopefully be next week.

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:44 am »
squeek do u recommend this over the one linked earlier?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/13246.html

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:01:17 am »

I need to get it past the Admins first and then I can let you know. Hopefully be next week.

:popcornsoda:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »
squeek do u recommend this over the one linked earlier?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/13246.html

Sorry for the late reply, been out all day and just got in.

I haven't used those so have no idea how they will perform, but it's pretty much guaranteed that anything made by Audison is going to be top notch. Having said that, you will never match the quality of signal from the higher end converters with DSP or some form of signal processing. You have a pm on the way.

Offline Aweful_Truth

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:23 am »
my gf has them in her car theyre great value for money produce great sound and a very good price! can vouch for these :) :happy2:
To Bad, So Sad, Bye Bye!

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:54 am »
Yeah ill be getting everythign off squeekuk except for the amp as his prices are very good

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:12 pm »
Whats a DSP? Im going down the sub and amp route soon using my RNS510

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline nadlad

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • GT Sport 08 140PS
    • Email

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »
Ok guys, just to clear it up. DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing.

The signal coming from the HU is very distorted and adjusted to hide the deficiencies of the standard speakers. You may have noticed if you have let's say the RNS 510, the base tends to drop off compared to the rest of the sound coming from your speakers as you turn the volume up.

Being active, what these units do is smooth the signal from the HU providing as clean a signal as possible to the amplifiers via RCA's. If you will, they iron out all the imperfections. They also provide a built in crossover allowing you to fine tune your system.

Normal LOC's in retrospect are passive and just convert the existing signal to an RCA signal without any signal correction.

Here is a bit of blurb from Audison regarding the Bit Ten

"Audison Bit Ten

bit Ten is a multi-function digital processor featuring analog input, capable of transforming ordinary OEM or after-market system into a high-performance system. Provided with a 32 bit, 147 MHz clock speed DSP as well as 24 bit A/D and D/A converters, bit Ten is controlled by a software especially developed for signal treatment according to the vehicle acoustic peculiarities. Setting the parameters of each input single channel, setting the delays according to the listening position, adjusting crossovers and equalizers for each of the 5 output channels; all of these operations can be managed by the PC.

During the installation phase, after converting the analog signal into digital, bit Ten automatically reconstructs a digital full-bandwidth stereo signal; de-equalizes the frequency response and, if necessary, reconstructs the central and  subwoofer channels. The user can configure the output mode of each channel relative to the installed system.
It is designed to be connected with the DRC, Digital Remote Control (optional)."

As I wanted the purest and cleanest signal I could get from my RNS510, I have opted to go with the Bit Ten D.

Hope this helps?