Make a donation

Poll

IF you had £42k to spend on either of tje above would you buy and do the following

buy a golf r and modify with 10k of mods.
23 (43.4%)
buy an RS3 and just put a map and an intake on it?
30 (56.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: August 31, 2012, 01:48:06 pm

Author Topic: Golf .:R or RS3?  (Read 10672 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Golf .:R or RS3?
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »
Well guys which would you do and why?
Golf R gone.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
Re: Golf .:R or RS3?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:52:20 pm »
Golf R And spend the 10k...  :happy2:

I remember watching on youtube about how bad the rs3 handled, so there would be a few quid needed for mods to correct that.

Was it how bad it understeered

The R is a nice car & with 10k of mods even nicer   :drool:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »

.:R, Stage 2+, race haldex, Carbon bonnet, tailgate, wings, OZ Superforgiatta, ASTs

Over budget  :ashamed:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:32 pm »
You know what most of the answer's are going to be one here John.  :rolleye:

You need to ask yourself what your goal is at the end game. You like the engineering challenge  and taking cars to the limit of there  explosion point.  :innocent: This in mind are you really going to just stop at stage 2 + with the RS3, i think not. For me i would rather have the golf to look at the Milltek R is a strong car and takes lots of abuse in it's stride, but the RS3 is another level in terms of engineering and strength, or it should be for the extra cost.
If i was you i would go with the RS3 and have a long term goal of putting the LOBA on it, as you know you will anyway at some point in the future  :wink:                                                                                         

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:13 pm »
i concur with top cat, rs3 if you are wanting to go even bigger power. look at the platform for it, surely it would not take that much to get it to cope with a nice 450bhp
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline johnston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »
I'd go S3 and modify.... or .:R and modify. i personally wouldn't even consider the RS3, nice car but well over priced.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:17:07 pm »
Golf R for me. think the RS3 is a better performance car, and always will be when compared to a modded Golf R. plus that £10k you spend you won't see back when you sell the Golf R.

but the VW infotainment systems are better than the Audi's and in day to day living that is much more important. plus the RS3 is now an obsolete model. the Mk6 is still the current shape (even if that won't be the case for much longer)
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:35 pm »
but the VW infotainment systems are better than the Audi's and in day to day living that is much more important...

Haha, you love your infotainment systems don't you! Can't say it's something that has ever bothered me :indifferent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »
Stick the RS3 engine in the Golf .:R......  Simples!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »
but the VW infotainment systems are better than the Audi's and in day to day living that is much more important...

Haha, you love your infotainment systems don't you! Can't say it's something that has ever bothered me :indifferent:

the later ones are definitely adequate, but RNS-510 is 100% better than RNS-E, and it annoys me our DIS doesn't support Polar FIS+. it's a bit backwards considering Audi is meant to be the "premium" brand.

don't get me wrong, i clearly love Audis and i drive an 8P remember, but just as an overall package i think the Golf is a better car. certainly between the Golf R and the S3 there is no contest, the Golf R is better. the RS3 has more straight line performance, but a stage 1 Golf R will have over 300bhp and you don't really need more than that in a family hatchback.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

h4rdy

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »
TBH I put Golf R but if it was me I would but a Noble M12 for say £25k then spend £10k on a cheap ED30 and £7k on mods for the ED30.

Thats a lot of money for a Hatchback.

Or an RS4 with a Supercharger?

The list is endless but It would be the Golf for the purpose of this exercise as I don't like Audi tax.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
Interesting one. I was reading your new build thread and thought the same, golf r plus 2.5 = rs3 money,  but did not want to spam it.

If it were me I'd keep the polo and then get a r300 superlight. No matter how much you spend on a golf or rs3, it will not come close to the thrills the caterham would give you.

Modding, in my own experience,  does not give good value for money, you would be better off spending it on petrol and track days. Enjoying the car rather than chasing numbers on a dyno.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:01 pm »
The R + 10k is ALOT of money for a Golf, albeit a very quick Golf., but still just a Golf none the less.

With the RS3 you have its appeal as an RS badged vehicle, its rare, it has much higher tuning potential, sounds a million times better, residuals will be better and is generally IMO the more sensible of the two options.

If id bought the Golf R and put 10k into it id always be looking at RS3s thinking i should have bought one!!

And think of the tuning potential you will have open to you then!!

h4rdy

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:32:38 pm »
TBH the RS3 is also 'just' a Golf with an RS and Audi badge.

You could say the 911 is 'just' a flashy Beetle?

John are you having second thoughts?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 03:36:16 pm »
What about an B8 Audi S4 3.0TFSI!!!  They must be gagging for someone to offer theirs up for some stage 3 or 4 action!!