Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello from Bristol  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Shewie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hello from Bristol
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »
Hi All,

Just joined the forum as i'm doing a bit of research before buying my first Mk5 GTi as a replacement for our ageing Ford. Ideally I'd like an ED30, but unless I can get my wife to up the notional budget by a couple of grand then I'll probably have to settle for an earlyish standard example.

As much as I prefer the look of the 3 door, the fact that I already have one impractical 2 door sportscar means that this one has to act as the family fun bus and therefore has to have rear doors for the kids.

Current thinking is a Red or Silver 5 door with Leather, Winter Pack and central armrest. I could be swayed on colour for the right car, but would like as many options ticked as possible as otherwise I'll end up spending a fortune on retrofits!!

I'm struggling with wheel choice... Given my wife's tendency to use the curb as a parking sensor I think the standard 17s are the right way to go, however I know that everytime I looked out of the window i'd wish it had the 18s... But they look so easy to damage and mullered Monza 2s look absolutely dreadful. (maybe 18 inch Pescaras are the way to go. Hmm!)

Anyway, advice always gratefully received and  I'll update when I finally find the right car.

Cheers Paul

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Hello from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:19:07 pm »
Welcome :smiley:

I have a 5 door and it's great.  Elegant and practical, I don't understand how people can think they're ugly! Consistently useful - I had 2 mates in the back last night for a footy match and they were able to bail at a roundabout near their flat.
I also run 17's and my girlfriend walloped into a kerb recently. Took a gash out of the tyre, but the rim survived! The tyres are utter sh*tbags that came with the car, but do have decent sidewall protection which saved the rim. I'm looking at getting 18" for looks, but will have to take the missus off the insurance.

Knackered Monza's do look woeful !!
'07 Red manual

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
Welcome along Paul!  :happy2:

Man up buddy and get a 3dr ED30 in Tornado Red!! You know it makes sense  :evilgrin: (and if your wife asks, it was nothing to do with me!)

If you do give in and end up in an early GTI, not an expensive thing to get it colour coded and a set of Monza 2"s or Monza 2's refurb'd as "Shadows" are always kicking about for sale. Just get some decent tyres with the rim protectors such as Goodyear Eagle F1 2's, my personnal choice. The Pescara's are basically BBS CH's so if you want them that gives you more choice, then you can go 19" on coilovers!!  :evilgrin:

Happy hunting fella!!

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Shewie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:01 am »
Right then... Finally picked up my new car today - '06 Plate 5 door GTi in Reflex Silver with leather, winter pack, xenons and a sunroof. So far so good.

Only issue so far has been the headlight washers, which didn't seem to work. Appears the previous owner had removed the fuse (presumably as they make a mess)... Slotted a new one in and bingo all is well   

Car seems to go and handle as well as I remember. (I had a 24hr test drive in a brand new Candy White Gti about 5 years ago).

Whilst looking for the right car I managed to pick up a set of Genuine ED30 Pescara's which are currently at my dads house awaiting collection. They need a refurb as they're a bit kerbed, so I'll take those to Lepsons in Swindon (or whatever its called now!) as they did an amazing job on my 911 wheels last year. Current thinking is to go for a brighter silver than the stock Anthracite colour as I think I prefer it.

I also have a Stage 1 Bluefin upgrade which I'll try and sort out before the weekend to uplift the performance a bit and maybe hunt out someone to supply and fit an RNS510 in the near future

Will post some pics when I can work out how to do it.

Cheers Paul   

Offline a.j.baker14

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:23:55 am »
Hi and welcome

Offline sijac09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:41:25 am »
Welcome mate, im also in Bristol!

I would try do the 3 door if you can, as they do look better.  I know with the 5 door some people say the look better but they don't.  Sorry guys, just makes it look less sport imo.

5 doors don't look too bad but if you can go for 3 door.

Offline sijac09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:25 am »
Ignore my post! didn't quite read the last one....

I'm sure it looks sweet though!

Offline a.j.baker14

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »
sweet how much did you pay for the ed30 wheels im after some myself?

Offline Shewie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »
Paid £400 for the Pescara's with 4 matching Bridgestone tyres (The two rear tyres I can probably use but the fronts will be replaced as they're getting marginal and one has a cut).

All four wheels are kerbed but not too badly knocked about, a decent refurb and check over and they should be good to go. That said, the ED30 they came off looked like it had lived a pretty hard life!!