Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine fans.  (Read 1290 times)

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Engine fans.
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
Question guys

When do peoples engine fans kick in? Mine kick in with temp gauge slightly above 90, both stationary and when driving.

They also stay on when i stop the car to cool down the engine which is natural as far as i know?

Thoughts please :)
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Engine fans.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:24:39 pm »
If on a very warm day for instance, and you have the air-con on, and you then stop the car, if the fan carries on and is quite loud, i'd check to see if BOTH fans area actually working!? Quick check is turn air-con on, if BOTH fans are not working, chances are the smaller one is kaputt!! This has happened to me, quite a common problem on Mk V's apparently. I'm glad i got mine changed/fixed, as it then transpired that my radiator was leaking also, so had that replaced to! My temp gauge now (touch wood) goes up to c.90, then doesn't budge 1 iota, this is how it should be...

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Engine fans.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:33:04 pm »
Both fans are working they are fine i have done all the checks for them.  :happy2:

Cant see any leaks from the radiator at all, top pipe into radiator is red hot, top of radiator is red hot, bottom of radiator is cool, bottom hose out of radiator is warm. Both pipes into the expension bottle are red hot. Yet still havent a clue as to what should be right or wrong?????  :fighting:
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.