Make a donation

Author Topic: My 2006 Mk5 GTi DSG  (Read 3065 times)

Offline JonnyFairlie

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
My 2006 Mk5 GTi DSG
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
I'm new to the world of forums but from what I've seen so far this is a very valuable resource, and everyone is so nice and complimentary regarding each others rides, which is something I am not used to! but it's great that there's a place where like-minded dub guys can converse in peace. Someone suggested I post more pictures of my car, so here they are.

So far I've spent a fair whack on both repairs and modifications as it wasn't in the best nick when I picked him up. First on the agenda was:
- Fuel pump
- DSG service
- Nearside front and offside rear wheel bearings
- Bonnet painted
- Corrosion on front wings repaired under VW warranty
- Original 17 inch Monzas all needed a refurb, which they were in Audi grey

I have a sneaky suspicion (based on the badly repaired damage on the bumper, cheap and ugly aftermarket headlamps and the fact there's a big dent in the radiator) that the car was in a front end smash at some point in its' life. I replaced the lights with much nicer Delphi numbers.
We also suspect that the car was mapped by the previous owner, but god knows where.

Modifications so far:
- K&N Typhoon induction kit
- Full Decat (rest of the system to be replaced with either an Akrapovic item or a custom made system)
- Red coil packs
- MTEC discs all round (IMO these aren't much of a performance upgrade, but look much better)
- Tein Street Advance coilovers
- Obviously, those big ass 3SDM 0.05s

In the near future we'll be getting a big FMIC on there and hopefully go straight to a stage 2 revo map, I probably won't go further because we all know those pesky DSG boxes don't like crazy power.
I also plan to put a lot of emphasis on the chassis work. Polybushes, upgraded front and rear anti roll bars and a half cage are on the agenda. I'll be upgrading the brakes but not entirely sure what route to go down there.
Fortunately being in the motor trade myself means that I get all these parts and services at good prices!

People always ask me about the seats, and I'm not entirely sure what they are. I believe they are from an Audi, but the guys at VW don't think they were ever offered as an option on the original car. Anyone got any ideas? thanks!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: My 2006 Mk5 GTi DSG
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »
Lovely car mate. Welcome aboard.

Re the exhaust, be careful with going custom - they don't benefit from the development time established systems get, and you might not end up with the best flowing setup. I'd personally only go custom if there was a reason an off-the-shelf system wouldn't work.

Akrapovic are mega, and also mega money.

Have a look into a full Powervalve (formerly known as BCS). They're rated very highly and give you big performance gains. I have one, and it's the best mod I've done.

The seats are known as wingbacks, and are very desirable. Think they were an option, but only on the R32 (might be wrong there but I'm sure someone will correct me if so) so it looks like they've been retrimmed in the GTI tartan. They fetch four figures. Very nice indeed.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:32:28 pm »
ill have the seats if you don't want them  :drool:

lovely car mate and welcome to the forum - always a helping hand available if you ever need advice  :happy2:

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:04:03 am »
Those seats!!

Welcome, nice car you have there bud. Look forward to seeing the latest get completed  :happy2:

Offline JonnyFairlie

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • Mk5 Golf GTi
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »
Thanks chaps, always nice to hear positive feedback! I took the liberty of checking out what the going rate for the seats are on ebay...wow. I've been resting my arse on a four figure sum this whole time!

Offline jl1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:23 am »
lovely car and the seats are epic!!
they would be an option that was ticked on your car as it was possible to spec them on a gti.