Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone driven a GT86 yet?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Anyone driven a GT86 yet?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 09:13:39 am »
My Mate AL (who owns quite a few cars), test drove one and managed to get it on an airfield where he threw it about a bit  :signLOL:, he said the handling was awesome but it did seriously lack grunt, he since read up on a turbo conversion/remap for them (approx 320bhp) and has since ordered the Scooby version to replace his ageing WRX STI track toy  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:12 am »
Seems a lot of tuners were given a car/engine a long time ago and told to go nuts - like Toybaru are actively encouraging people to mod them. Considering how little they weigh, and with scope to easily remove more, 320hp will be lunacy.

We"ll give you the bare bones of a great handling car and engine with potential, you do what you want with it. I like this sales pitch!
Sideways yo!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:43 am »
I think he gets his in around 10 or 11 weeks as he ordered a "Special colour", I don't know what that is until it arrives  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 10:23:16 am »
Seems a lot of tuners were given a car/engine a long time ago and told to go nuts - like Toybaru are actively encouraging people to mod them. Considering how little they weigh, and with scope to easily remove more, 320hp will be lunacy.

We"ll give you the bare bones of a great handling car and engine with potential, you do what you want with it. I like this sales pitch!

yeah i think its great too good on em for pushing a ca for people to tune

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 02:06:14 am »
After owning my fair share of toyota's. I'm some what with RR here. Toyota's of today are soulless. The urge is slowly growing by the day to actually go look at one and see if I can convince myself out of my mk5?
I think I already know the answer, truth be told. Even at my golf approaching 7-8 years old. Still enjoy it far more then I ever could a mk6. (mk6 looks just don't do it for me, but the TSI engine is whole different ball game) I digress however.

So it comes down to going backwards to say mk4-mk2, keep mk5 or go new but then I would choose Toybaru or subyota. It will be one hell of a convincing act thou.

Over in the states there is a company called nameless performance. They have thus far managed 20-25HP increase by a mere CAT back system. They are still developing the Exhaust Manifold I believe. Scratch that, They are developing the subyota (fairly sure however the system would fit both I'm sure) Full system is available right now.

So even in NA variant, there are improvements. There are a few supercharger and turbo kit's already available for these cars. Funnily enough the BRZ is turbo route and the FRS/FT86 is more supercharger orientated.

It looks really nice from outside with wheels and suspension alone. But the interior Still has a lot to be desired.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:00 am »
Really like the look of the TRD version (kit) but its not cheap -

I think if it was charged I would be very very tempted even given the slightly 'normal' interior.  I just don't think its enough to satisfy year or so down the line. 

My mate is really please with his BRZ but he did say if they release an STI version he would most likely swap for that.  He doesn't tend to stay in the same car for too long.  Came from a mapped mk6 GTI in fact too.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 08:14:05 am »
...even given the slightly 'normal' interior. 

The God damn awful interior you mean :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 08:17:40 am »
^^^^
That TRD kit looks quite good  :happy2:

If the interior is crap, strip or modify it? - Alacantara is your fwend! Modify performance and it might be a fun trackday car.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:55 am »
If the interior is crap...

In fairness it looks fit for it's purpose. It's functional, not flashy.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:54 am »
one of these complete with cage and all sorts flew past me and Mike though the bends at Silverstone the other day. Looked pretty impressive

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:46 am »

If the interior is crap...

In fairness it looks fit for it's purpose. It's functional, not flashy.

....I agree and I much prefer functional to flashy (why I like my Mk5 GTI interior without any bright silver quality statement bling bits).

I should have written "If you think the interior is crap..."

Based on the pic it's interior doesn't excite me but I haven't sat in one. But I think I like the instrument cluster.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:47 am »
Interior is all about functionality - very elise like with the steering wheel position, to be honest when I sat in my mate's the driving position felt spot on so the rest didnt really concern me.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 11:42:39 am »
It's tame for a Jap interior to be fair, they like the spaceship feel for sure. The plastics feel nice, it's simple and well thought out.

Sideways yo!